Installing openLuup using the Linux_Aptitude Guide by CudaNet

Hi @CudaNet, Nice try, but it’s not that easy to alleviate my confusion. :slight_smile:

First, thank you for what you are doing. It’s Great! IMHO, Your guide(s) along with the work of akbooer, amg0 and others is what keeps MCV in business. If they would just hire several of the posters on this forum, they would own the HA market.

Platitudes over, now my problem. With all the recent updates, I’m not sure I’m following the right guide. I have an existing Pi2B running the crush157 Echo bridge, and I’m trying to add openLuup. Using the guide from the thread above, I did all the verification steps, installed the new pieces, but have a problem at step 28. ./openLuup_reload reset runs, but then the data_request?id=altui shows “No data received” I suspect I have some files in the wrong place, but can’t get past this. I now have (about 30) AltUI files in /pi/vera/cmh-ludl where I think they should be, but they also still exist in the files folder in cmh-ludl (was I supposed to remove that?) and in /plugins/downloads/altui/ and backup/altui/

I discovered I had missed copying some files in earlier steps, but went back and got them, so I suspect I missed something else, but need help to find it. I appreciate any help you can provide.

You are very welcome… I don’t think you’re confused, just being cautious and asking questions which is fine.
[hr]

[quote=“ilikelife, post:1, topic:191642”]Hi @CudaNet, Nice try, but it’s not that easy to alleviate my confusion. :slight_smile:

First, thank you for what you are doing. It’s Great! IMHO, Your guide(s) along with the work of akbooer, amg0 and others is what keeps MCV in business. If they would just hire several of the posters on this forum, they would own the HA market.[/quote]

Sounds like you may be ok, this is just one of those steps where AltUI loads it’s files (it takes time) and you have to be patient.
The reason you see files in both locations is because of the symbolic links created in step 21.
[hr]

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 Feb 28 20:58 /etc/cmh -> /home/{user}/vera/cmh
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 Feb 28 20:59 /etc/cmh-ludl -> /home/{user}/vera/cmh-ludl
I did all the verification steps, installed the new pieces, but have a problem at step 28. ./openLuup_reload reset runs, but then the data_request?id=altui shows "No data received" I suspect I have some files in the wrong place, but can't get past this. I now have (about 30) AltUI files in /pi/vera/cmh-ludl where I think they should be, but they also still exist in the files folder in cmh-ludl (was I supposed to remove that?)

Yes, that sound correct. I’d keep moving forward as it sounds like you’re OK…
[hr]

and in /plugins/downloads/altui/ and backup/altui/

I discovered I had missed copying some files in earlier steps, but went back and got them, so I suspect I missed something else, but need help to find it. I appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, you were correct, and I made more progress, but I’m stuck again…

Got AltUI started the first time (Amazing!) and did the usual “Newer Version”
Did the create_device step and at the end of step [31] Click on [Devices] you say "You should now seee [MIOS= ‘ID NUMBER’]

I clicked and see the icon for AltUI as the only device.

On step 32 ./openLuup_reload& I get [1] 31024 and then continuing Device 4 requesting reload

I went ahead and closed PuTTY but can’t find a way back into AltUi :3480 gets Not Available - connection reset.

(It is possible that I didn’t wait long enough. It’s hard to be patient when things work!)

I was excited to see AltUI once. How do it get back in?

I realise it seems crazy to need an update to AltUI after just having downloaded it. I feel the need to explain, rather than apologise. The initial download is to a known working baseline, you can run with that without updating to the latest. openLuup downloads the files from the MiOS Trac repository, not from the Vera App Store, and there no absolute guarantee that the latest version works, aside from @amg0’s impeccable development process. So it’s not until AltUI itself flags which is the latest working version that openLuup knows what to download.

To try and be a bit more helpful, the reloading problem may be a version problem with the VeraBridge code. Are you sure you’re using the latest?

@akbooer,

No need to even explain. I’ve been a fan of AltUI long enough that I’m surprised when a day goes by and amg0 does NOT have a new version out. Some days there may be more than one!

I downloaded your zip file from github yesterday, and the L_VeraBridge.lua file shows

_NAME = "VeraBridge" _VERSION = "2016.02.15" _DESCRIPTION = "VeraBridge plugin for openLuup!!" _AUTHOR = "@akbooer

Am I looking at the right file, and is that the latest?

Since I had AltUI open before it updated, can I go back to an older version of AltUI to see if it’s an issue there?

The previous version of AltUI should be in /etc/cmh-ludl/plugins/backups/altui/

Just copy those to /etc/cmh-ludl/ and you should be back…?

I can only assume your download didn’t complete successfully.

If you show me a startup log it might help too.

@ilikelife,

I’ll keep an eye on this tonight when I get home, keep us updated… Like AK mentioned, if things are still not working correctly then post up the LuaUPnP.log (let it grab 10-20 seconds worth of data first).

I copied all the altui files in backup to cmh-ludl and now I get the “no handler” message.

I probably didn’t wait long enough at some step. Here is the log file (hope this is the right one?) Please let me know if this helps, or if there is something else I can provide?

I’m happy to go back and try copying files again if that could be my problem, but just don’t want to screw things up even more.

Thanks again for the help.

@CudaNet - Just saw your reply as I was about to post. Not sure if the file has enough data, but here is one try.

I don’t see AltUI loading, an option here is to:

[1] Backup the user_data.json (always a good idea)… $ cp user_data.json user_data.backup
[2] Halt the engine. http://{your_ip}:3480/data_request?id=exit
[3] Re-start step [28] and then do step [31] then http://{your_ip}:3480

Let’s see what happens with that. If all is well we can halt and restore the user_data.backup to user_data.json…

You’re good!

at [31] I had to clear the browser cache, and then http://{your_ip}:3480 got me back into AltUI

Quit again with …id=exit and was able to do the _reload$ - exit PuTTY and get back to AltUi

So I’m rolling again. Do I need to restore user_data.backup to user_data.json at this point?

I’m not sure what part of the world you guys are in, but my wife is tapping her foot, so I’ll continue this adventure tomorrow.

Thanks again, and I hope I can finish all on my own from here. ;D

That’s good news. So yes, halt the engine again and …

[1] backup the user_data that’s currently working; $ cp user_data.json user_data.working
[2] restore the old user_data; $ cp user_data.backup user_data.json

Let’s see what happens after that…

[quote=“ilikelife, post:10, topic:191642”]You’re good!

at [31] I had to clear the browser cache, and then http://{your_ip}:3480 got me back into AltUI

Quit again with …id=exit and was able to do the _reload$ - exit PuTTY and get back to AltUi

So I’m rolling again. Do I need to restore user_data.backup to user_data.json at this point?

I’m not sure what part of the world you guys are in, but my wife is tapping her foot, so I’ll continue this adventure tomorrow.

Thanks again, and I hope I can finish all on my own from here. ;D[/quote]

I couldn’t walk away :-\

Restoring the old data got me back to “no handler”. I restored “working” again, and then even updated to the latest AltUI. Added the openLuup device and life is good!

Will play more in the AM to try and get the devices from Vera. I need to read through again, to see where I know I made mistakes, and maybe find the one I didn’t notice.

I’m taking a stab at installing again. This time I imaged a fresh copy of Odrobian (Jessie for the XU4). I then went through your linux doc and step by step installed openluup using the Step by step guide.

Everything went fine up to setp 28. There I did the openluup_restore and opened the http call for Altui. After that nothing happened on the terminal. Just stuck on the first requesting reload. I assumed Chrome did not connect to Altui because I need a VPN running. So I exited and then I installed openvpn and config’d it with an Astrill VPN cert. on my XU4. It started fine and now VPN is running.

I started at step 28 again and got the same result as before.

Any ideas what may be wrong at this point?

Please post your LuaUPnP.log so we can see where it might be failing.

[quote=“bucko, post:13, topic:191642”]I’m taking a stab at installing again. This time I imaged a fresh copy of Odrobian (Jessie for the XU4). I then went through your linux doc and step by step installed openluup using the Step by step guide.

Everything went fine up to setp 28. There I did the openluup_restore and opened the http call for Altui. After that nothing happened on the terminal. Just stuck on the first requesting reload. I assumed Chrome did not connect to Altui because I need a VPN running. So I exited and then I installed openvpn and config’d it with an Astrill VPN cert. on my XU4. It started fine and now VPN is running.

I started at step 28 again and got the same result as before.

Any ideas what may be wrong at this point?[/quote]

Yes, I was afraid of that… Always a good idea to keep a copy of a working user_data just in case.

[quote=“ilikelife, post:12, topic:191642”]I couldn’t walk away :-\

Restoring the old data got me back to “no handler”. I restored “working” again, and then even updated to the latest AltUI. Added the openLuup device and life is good!

Will play more in the AM to try and get the devices from Vera. I need to read through again, to see where I know I made mistakes, and maybe find the one I didn’t notice.[/quote]

Well I found at least one more mistake I made.

Step [31] to create D_VeraBridge.xml
I missed the “Vera” in the (“{your_Vera_IPaddress}”, dev)
So I had it looking at itself 'cause I used the RPi address instead

I’ve since managed to lock myself out again, but think I can recover, but need clarification on that line: Are all the punctuation characters included or not? Is it

luup.ip_set ("{10.84.x.y}", dev)

or without the curly braces and/or quotes?

Like this…

luup.ip_set (“10.84.x.y”, dev)

[quote=“ilikelife, post:16, topic:191642”]Well I found at least one more mistake I made.

Step [31] to create D_VeraBridge.xml
I missed the “Vera” in the (“{your_Vera_IPaddress}”, dev)
So I had it looking at itself 'cause I used the RPi address instead

I’ve since managed to lock myself out again, but think I can recover, but need clarification on that line: Are all the punctuation characters included or not? Is it

luup.ip_set ("{10.84.x.y}", dev)

or without the curly braces and/or quotes?[/quote]

…so this would explain a lot. openLuup would try to bridge to itself…

…the bridge would make local copies of its own devices and then reload…

…the bridge would then notice that the bridged machine had more devices so would make more copies…

…etc.

Ouch ! AK, have you seen anyone attempt to bridge to another openLuup instance ?

…so this would explain a lot. openLuup would try to bridge to itself…

…the bridge would make local copies of its own devices and then reload…

…the bridge would then notice that the bridged machine had more devices so would make more copies…

…etc.[/quote]

…so this would explain a lot. openLuup would try to bridge to itself…[/quote]

Yeah, and it didn’t seem to like that!

If I’d learn to read, I’d have fewer problems. CudaNet’s instructions even say:

Verify the IP address is correct within "{your_Vera_IPaddress}" (e.g. "127.0.0.1)

Don’t know how it could be any clearer than that. :-[. Sorry to be “that guy”.

I’ve got that line right now, hit submit in AltUI code test, and I seeing the controller did not respond message counting up. I hope this means it’s loading my Vera data. Is this a good thing?

Just saw youse guys latest posts and you are having too much fun!