ADT NV214A repurpose

I don’t believe that this has been covered before, since I searched the entire internet for ~13 hours putting together the jigsaw puzzle, so I wanted to share how one can repurpose wired ADT cameras that are connected via NV214A analog/digital converters (servers).

My setup had all control components mounted within feet of each other so moving cables around was very easy. The cabling layout: two outdoor cameras → each to its’ own single channel NV214A converter → both of those connected to a Netgear 5 port switch box → connected to the iHub router → connected to my router for internet connection.

I removed the cable from the Netgear switch to the iHub. I moved the broadband cable from the iHub and plugged it into the Netgear switch. These two actions removed the iHub from the system and placed the Netgear switch directly on my network. Within a couple of seconds, my router found the cameras and assigned them IP addresses.

I tested the connection by entering the IP addresses into a browser. I now found the web interface for the cameras which were, as I suspected, locked down my ADT with no simple usernames or passwords to be had (admin/admin, default/default, administrator/blank, etc etc).

After several hours, I figured broke is broke and I will just break down and reset the NV214 converters to factory defaults as I noticed the reset buttons earlier. I removed all cables, including power, to the converter boxes, waited about 30 seconds and replaced power. When the power LED blinks, it’s in ‘ready mode’ and the reset button can now be pressed and held for >10 seconds. After release, the lights will blink then all go out then power starts to blink again.

I reconnected all cables to both converters and had steady LEDs for power and network (network would sometimes blink as my router discovered them again).

Went to the IP addresses with my browser again and came up to the same wedb interface. This time there was no username/password required to view the camera and the maintenance credentials are ‘administrator/’.

Now I could go in and update all of the settings and my Veralite had no problem adding them to the interface.

Alot of effort but, in the end, well worth it not having to replace and reinstall existing cameras. BTW, also found in my searching that Tyco (who owns ADT) and owns the company that builds the NV214 converters thus why there’s no information out there to be found.

I don’t use this device but appreciate those that document in detail to everyone. Thanks.

Not sure if NV214A is a typo but ADT also uses NV412A-ADT encoder’s for the pulse system. These can be reconfigured using the method described. I had to play around a bit. Some had a login of “admin” and pw blank. Others had “administrator” and pw blank and a third had “administrator” and pw “admin.” Had 6 total connected to analog cams. All are now working on U17 Vera Edge. Deleted previous user login and pw’s via interface and added new login and pw’s.

Good luck.

I DON’T KNOW WHO YOU ARE OR WHERE YOU LIVE.
But I hope you bed is filled with 10,000 virgins
who please your every desire.
Because that’s about how awesome your post is.
Mother of GOD. You’ve made my week.
I got to pocket an extra 1000.00 cause or your Awesome POSTS.

• u/DrQxx
1 Like

Not sure if any of you are still around, but I just moved into a home with three cameras hooked up to NV412A-ADT encoders. After bypassing iHub and getting 'em accessible on my network as VeniVidiVici I’m able to connect to them, though all routes I’ve tried end up with 404. I get no UI, no credential prompt, nothing, save for 1 path I’ve found: img/video.asf seems to respond, but all that comes through is either a black feed, or a deep green tint which I assume to just be failed encoding.

Thoughts on what might be going on here? I suppose I could just huck these NV’s at this point and get a 4-channel single unit.

I would try the reset option again. Mine still work. They are rock steady and I have no issues.

I assume they are getting an IP address from your router? To get to the admin page on my cameras I just type in that IP address with NO additional “/” or “video.asf” It defaults to the admin page on just the IP.

Perhaps its the cable? (yes…you probably checked that…just throwing it out there)

I’ve reset them a couple of times but it can’t hurt to do it again. They’re getting IP’s from my router via DHCP. If i go to the IP directly over HTTP with or without a / at the end, it redirects to main.cgi?next_page=index_in.htm, but that still results in a 404.

Perhaps I’m resetting them incorrect? I’m unplugging everything, including power and letting it sit for a minute. Then plugging in JUST power. Once the power light blinks (which means ‘READY’ from the manual I could find online) I use the reset button and hold for 10 seconds. This results in all three lights blinking for a time then going back to the ‘READY’ state. After that I plug in network and the coax in/out, and the encoder receives an IP from my router.

Thanks for the reply, feelin a bit alone on this one. There’s surprisingly little information on these encoders out there!

Hello Savvy,

I just sent you an email, asking for more info so we may try to get them working.

Please check your email and reply.

Regards,

@Savvy. Maybe try a different browser? Perhaps security settings are an issue. I have no idea why that would be. It should be working?

I’ve actually gone down to using just cURL to take the browser out of the question. Requesting the root of the IP over port 80 returns a minimal html document with an on.load redirect to main.cgi?next_page=index_in.htm . cURLing that path with or without the query parameters returns a standard 404 document.

Does anyone know of any other paths for the admin console I could try?

Anyone made any headway on these devices? I was able to get a feed into my DVR but the resolution was really poor, like 320x200. I’m hoping that I could change that with the web interface but never could get the web interface to open.