Aeotec Garage Door Controller ZW062 - Install

Just thought it might be nice to describe how I went installing this unit at home.

• First impressions - a lot smaller than I had thought it would be. Quite light as well.
  • Got the manual for my existing garage door motor, found the spots to put the wires - it’s a two wire unit so basically it’s one press to open, one to stop, one to go into the opposite direction. My motor also supported multi button control (ie arrows for up/down etc) but no use here.
  • Turned off the motor, wired it up, turned it back on, made sure that the existing remote still worked, and also checked that hitting the button on the ZW062 worked. It did! Yay.
  • Installed the tilt sensor (mount it high on the door so you get an alert even if the door is slightly open - at this point I should note that it will be a challenge to use this if you have a ‘roller door’), then added the ZW062 into my network - done by pressing the button on the base.
  • So far so good. But, I found that although I could now open/close the garage door via my old remote, or by pressing the button on the ZW062, or by clicking on the switch on the Vera - it did not report if the door was up or down.
  • Time to calibrate the system - so close the door, then press and hold the switch for 10 seconds. The red light starts flashing (note you probably will need to have the unit off the wall to see the light). Now press the switch and let the door open, then once it’s open you press the switch and let it close. Done. (Although I found I had to press and hold the switch again to stop that red light from flashing.
  • Tested the door again - no joy. Still not saying if it is open or closed. Time to pair the tilt sensor. This is done by holding the switch down for five seconds after which the red light starts blinking slowly. Tilt the switch and the red light should stop blinking.
  • Now I found that as soon as I moved the switch, the door showed it was open or closed. Yay. Mounted it back onto the door.

Works perfectly. Reports if the door is open or closed no matter whether it is opened via the new switch or via the old garage remotes. I’ve also setup some scenes using the timer device app to alert me if the door is left open for too long. Also setup scenes to open/close the door so I could use them with my new Fibaro keyfob. I just need to adjust the volume and change the alarm - the defaults are too loud & annoying.

Forgot to add - need to workout how to change both the alarm sounds and the volume via the Vera interface - I assume under device options. Stay tuned (unless someone already knows how to do this!)

…and done. Info on settings is here: Configure Garage Door Controller alarm sounds. : Aeotec Help Desk

But basically:

• Go to Garage Door Opener device
  • Choose device options
  • Create two new variables as follows:
    37, data size “4 byte hex”, desired value A010101
    38, data size “4 byte hex”, desired value A010101
    and save the changes

Your garage door will now open/close with a slightly nicer sound at a lower volume. Feel free to modify the above hex values to suit your requirements.

A010101 is as follows:
A = (blinking rate of 10)
01 = (sound 1 selected)
01 = (volume set to 1)
01 = (enabled)

FYI You will find it will display the current value in decimal A010101 = 167837953

Just curious. Are you in the US? If so where did you get this? I was told by Aeotec that there was a problem bring this device to the US market for some legal reason. I’ve been holding off automating my garage, waiting for this one to become available as the Linear/Nortek one seems like they can quit after a year, plus the Aeotec one looks a lot nicer.

Ah. Am in Australia, sorry! :slight_smile:

FYI I have had my linear z-wave garage door unit since 2014. No issues.

Sorry for reviving old thread…

Looking to purchase the aeotec garage opener and was wondering what output does the unit give? By the sound of it it seems like I have similar garage door controller like the OP just want to make sure. I have 2 connectors available on the unit itself, the other one being controlled by a button on my alarm remote which I believe is RF 433 MHz. Without climbing up I can’t measure what does that module output to control the controller

Thanks

[quote=“CRom11, post:7, topic:196941”]Sorry for reviving old thread…

Looking to purchase the aeotec garage opener and was wondering what output does the unit give? By the sound of it it seems like I have similar garage door controller like the OP just want to make sure. I have 2 connectors available on the unit itself, the other one being controlled by a button on my alarm remote which I believe is RF 433 MHz. Without climbing up I can’t measure what does that module output to control the controller

Thanks[/quote]

The aeotec controller basically requires the existing garage motor to have an external switch connector. Basically it momentarily shorts the two connectors, and that causes the motor to open the door if it’s closed, or close the door if it’s open. Short it whilst it’s moving and it will go in the opposite direction. So basically, if you are brave and want to test if it works with your motor all you need is a piece of wire to (quickly) short the two connectors. Don’t blame me if you short the wrong things, electrocute yourself, and burn the house down though. :wink:

Seriously though, find a manual for your garage door motor and find out what connectors you have on it.

Thanks,
tried the manual but no mention about any external signals… Saying that, the guys who installed my alarm system added a wireless module that is paired to one of of the buttons on my alarm remote and that unit is wired to couple of terminals on the garage door unit itself, so was wondering if the aeotec unit can be plugged in in paralel…
Based on your description it should, I’m just being careful, don’t fancy spending $160 for something that will not work, just because the manufacturer of the unit I have can’t provide a decent manual…

BTW the garage door unit I have is SteeLine SD800

Yep.

You will almost certainly find that the aeotec would hook into the same terminals as your add-on wireless module. I’ve done exactly the same thing with mine ie it has an add-on wireless module (the motor has an existing wireless receiver, but we added an extra one in so we could use a single remote for the garage door and an external gate.). The aeotec is now hooked in parallel.

Again, if you want to be certain just get a piece of wire and briefly short the two terminals that the add-on wireless thingie has been connected to. My guess would be that if the door is closed, that will start to open the door. Do it again, and it will close. There should be no power coming from those two connectors - it’s just a momentary switch. It probably won’t kill you or burn the house down. Trust me. I’m a random person on the internet. :wink:

Oh boy, why do I listen to ‘random people from internet’…?

All it is is a short circuit pulse. Not that I don’t trust people, but I rather disconnected the addon wireless module, hooked my multimeter and tried it. After that I used your short piece of wire method :slight_smile:

Now I have to find spare $350 because I have two garage doors… Thanks :smiley:

^^^
That seems to be an overkill as you can easily use a Isolated Double relay with an auto off set to 1 sec. (or any other time period you decide on)

[url=https://www.blackcatcontrolsystems.com.au/Black-Cat-In-Wall-Switch-Controllers/Black-Cat-Controllers/Black-Cat-Z-Wave-240VAC-ZWBCL2-Double-Relay]https://www.blackcatcontrolsystems.com.au/Black-Cat-In-Wall-Switch-Controllers/Black-Cat-Controllers/Black-Cat-Z-Wave-240VAC-ZWBCL2-Double-Relay[/url]

$84.95 solution which is proven. to work.

[quote=“zedrally, post:12, topic:196941”]^^^
That seems to be an overkill as you can easily use a Isolated Double relay with an auto off set to 1 sec. (or any other time period you decide on)

[url=https://www.blackcatcontrolsystems.com.au/Black-Cat-In-Wall-Switch-Controllers/Black-Cat-Controllers/Black-Cat-Z-Wave-240VAC-ZWBCL2-Double-Relay]https://www.blackcatcontrolsystems.com.au/Black-Cat-In-Wall-Switch-Controllers/Black-Cat-Controllers/Black-Cat-Z-Wave-240VAC-ZWBCL2-Double-Relay[/url]

$84.95 solution which is proven. to work.[/quote]

Absolutely, fellow person from the land downunder! It’s not quite comparing apples to apples though, or as we say comparing koalas to drop bears. There are a few additional advantages to the Aeotec that bumps the overall price up if you wanted to replicate all of it. It comes in a nice box, it has a speaker that sounds a user configurable alarm (including an mp3 file if you want) as well as light when the door opens or closes. It comes with a tilt sensor to put on the door so you know if it’s open or closed. It also, for those who care, meets the UL325 standards (http://www.ul325.com/ - may only be of interest in commercial installations)

Info about it’s here:
https://aeotec.com/z-wave-garage-door-controller

You can get it for well under AUD$159 delivered, if you hunt around and/or are willing to wait for special deals. I think I got mine for around the AUD$120 mark.

I will say that the module you linked to looks interesting - I plan in the distant future to setup some irrigation kit (which is 24V) so might consider using that.

In the US, garage door openers are subject to the UL 325 safety standard. Recent updates to UL 325 include provisions for unattended operation:

Unattended Operation of GDOs. UL added requirements for unattended operation of GDOs, which is permitted if additional safety features are provided. The final rule includes these requirements (new ? 1211.14). Under UL’s revised provisions, unattended operation is allowable only if proper installation instructions and markings are provided. Unattended GDOs must require one or more intentional actions to function and must require an audible and visual alarm that must signal for 5 seconds before door movement. Unattended operation is not permitted on one-piece or swinging garage doors. The word ?bulb? is changed to ?light? to address newer technologies that may use LEDs that may not be considered ?bulbs? and clarifies that the visual or audio alarm during unattended operation does not require monitoring.

The requirement to provide audible and visual alarms 5 seconds before door movement must be built into approved home automation/remote operation garage door openers. The assumption is that operation by home automation or remote control means that the garage door is unmonitored, i.e. not in view of the operator.

[quote=“zedrally, post:12, topic:196941”]^^^

$84.95 solution which is proven. to work.[/quote]

Thanks, that was my first option, I have few Aeotec nano dual switches that are currently not used for anything (was hoping to control my lights but haven’t read the description properly and missed the point about it requiring neutral wire…)
Reason I like the Aeotec garage opener is the inclusion of tilt sensor as well as the built in speaker - as ninkasi pointed out

BTW there seems to be a few of us from the land downunder :slight_smile:

[quote=“HSD99, post:14, topic:196941”]In the US, garage door openers are subject to the UL 325 safety standard. Recent updates to UL 325 include provisions for unattended operation:

Unattended Operation of GDOs. UL added requirements for unattended operation of GDOs, which is permitted if additional safety features are provided. The final rule includes these requirements (new ? 1211.14). Under UL’s revised provisions, unattended operation is allowable only if proper installation instructions and markings are provided. Unattended GDOs must require one or more intentional actions to function and must require an audible and visual alarm that must signal for 5 seconds before door movement. Unattended operation is not permitted on one-piece or swinging garage doors. The word ?bulb? is changed to ?light? to address newer technologies that may use LEDs that may not be considered ?bulbs? and clarifies that the visual or audio alarm during unattended operation does not require monitoring.

The requirement to provide audible and visual alarms 5 seconds before door movement must be built into approved home automation/remote operation garage door openers. The assumption is that operation by home automation or remote control means that the garage door is unmonitored, i.e. not in view of the operator.[/quote]

I bought a new NuTone this past spring to replace my old Insteon and can confirm an audio/visual alarm with a 5 second delay. Since I have a camera in my garage I can confirm it is okay to open or close the door so the 5 second delay is an annoyance to me.