Affordable Electric Curtain Tracks - Z-wave integration

UPDATE:

I’ve started my Z-wave curtain installation.

Part 1 Overview

Part 2 Un-boxing kit

Part 3 Installation and Wiring

Part 4 - Wiring continued (wall switch)

Part 5- Vera setup and remote control options

Hello

I’ve been looking in to affordable electric curtain tracks and the possibility of Z-wave integration with Vera etc. From what I have read so far there appears to be two options in my price range.

Curtain Call - CL-800 CL-820 wiring diagram here

I believe these are manufactured in the USA by this company ?

There is also another kit called CL-810T by Power Curtain. I can’t tell the difference and the CL-800 and CL-810T kits appear to be the same thing?

HC China Limited - HT-100 Also known as CT-220 on sites like Aliexpress. HT-100 wiring diagram here

The china kit is about half the price of the USA kit.

As for Z-wave integration I can only find one useful thread on the Domotica forum here. In particular this post here where he discusses the wiring method used for connecting a Z-wave.me Duwi blind control module. User manual for this module can be seen here. Although from reading this thread on the Domotica forum it is not clear which kit he is using the CL-800 or the HT-100.

Does anyone have any more experience with these products or manufacturers?

Looking forward to hearing your replies.

Thanks

EDIT: Another option now: NWD Z-wave curtain motor with Dooya curtain tracks ! Wiring diagram here

Electric Curtain tracks / motors table:

I just got an email reply from the RemoteControlCurtain company:

"We are the factory in China and sale office in NY USA.
We have dealers as our selling partners.

CL-800 is the initial model# in 2007, then CL-810T in 2009 with certain improvements and
now CL-820 (just a couple months ago) with more improvements as the latest model.

The system can be dry contacted with relays to 3rd party control, see attached as specifications .DOC

You may view pictures of the system at the link here.

The prices include the following:

• Motorized Track w/ Motor & Power Adaptor
  • Remote Control w/ 3 AAA Batteries
  • Wall Mountable Control Pad
  • Accessories such as Track Connectors, Mounting
    Brackets, Control Pad Cable, Adjustment Wrench,
    Screws,…

Basically, all necessary hardware for automation is included,
except “fabric” – the curtain itself is not included.

The CL-800 system plugs into any wall outlet.

Remote Control is using infrared technology and it can
be learned by all Universal Remote Controls in the market.
(Can teach my Logitech Harmony!)

You have choices of the following:
i) Center Opening, Left Pull or Right Pull.
ii) Wall Mount Brackets or Ceiling Mount Brackets.

Please specify them when placing the order. 

Connectivity (5-pin port) to other systems such as Home Automation System
or Home Theater System is available at $45 additional.
(Assuming I need this then?)

There are options you may purchase now or later for upgrades:
i) Timer Control -------
- pre-set 2 openings and 2 closings daily for each system on a weekly cycle
ii) 1- to-5 Remote Control --------
- operate multiple systems (up to 5 channels) with 1 single remote control."

Retail pricing:

Electric Remote Controlled Curtain System CL-820:
Track Size Price
5’ $ 215
8’ $ 230
10’ $ 245
13’ $ 285
16’ $ 355
20’ $ 495
26’ $ 595
32’ $ 725

This makes more sense looking at the two photos, the first one is the standard wall controller, the second photo is the wall controller with 5 pin connectivity cable for HA systems. So just need to work out what wires to connect where in to the Z-wave.me Duwi blind module ?

Curtain Call - HA Control Connections: I only need a single motor i.e. Curtain A. Curtain B is for a dual motor setup (Sheer).

SW1: Close & Stop (for Curtain A [fabric]) SW2: Open & Stop (for Curtain A [fabric]) SW3: Close & Stop (for Curtain B [sheer]) SW4: Open & Stop (for Curtain B [sheer])

BLACK PA0 touchs YELLOW PA1 = (A Curtain) Close / Stop
BLACK PA0 touchs GREEN PA2 = (A Curtain) Open / Stop
BLACK PA0 touchs BLUE PA3 = (B Curtain) Close / Stop
BLACK PA0 touchs RED PA4 = (B Curtain) Open / Stop

Looking at the Z-wave.me Duwi Blind module wiring diagram:

There are 5 connections on the Duwi blind module:

L = Live (Mains 240V)
N = Neutral (Mains 240V)
~1 = 24V Live wire for Open Curtains (GREEN Wire)
~2 = 24V Live wire for Close Curtains (YELLOW Wire)
COM = Common (Neutral from Curtain wall controller / motor?) Not sure about this?

This looks promising guys.
I might order one just to see how it works.
Thanks for posting!

[quote=“frichter09, post:5, topic:173020”]This looks promising guys.
I might order one just to see how it works.
Thanks for posting![/quote]

If your in the UK? I can probably supply, as I just got some dealer pricing from them. There is no current distributor in the UK for these CL-800 curtain rails apparently, they will ship direct from the USA though. Still working out the details.

There is one seller on eBay UK here It doesn’t say what version they are ? And they are a little expensive.

Thanks!
Im in the US though :slight_smile:
Just have to figure out how to hook them up top my ZWave network!
Flo

Me too, hoping someone with more wiring experience will chime in.

YouTube Videos:

Operation Instruction of DIY Electric Remote Control Curtain Track - Part 1

Operation Instruction of DIY Electric Remote Control Curtain Track - Part 2

DIY Electric Remote Control Curtain System (with English Subtitle) SOLOR BRAND

The manufacturer is not sure about the wiring either: :frowning:

“Not sure about the wiring as there are too many different systems. The Wall Control with 5-pin only need a pulse to be activated. Please try to look up with these home automation experts.”

Well…
My garage door opener only needs a pulse and I am using an Evolve relay switch to create this pulse…

Wondering if that might work… but them I might need two relays per curtain, one for open, one for closing… and that will be expensive again!

Flo

This should be possible using a single Z-wave blind control module I would think.

Looking at the Duwi blind module I would like to use, its the diagram for none 240V motors. i.e the motor in this curtain kit is 24V.

See attached 24V-Motor.jpg

The only wire I am not sure about is the COM Common (Neutral) I know you should not also connect this to the 240V Neutral. But it should connect to one of the wires from the 5 pin connector on the Curtain wall controller. I am guessing the black PA0 cable ??

I wonder if this Duwi is also available in the US for 120V

I don’t think so? They are German EU. But any similar Z-wave blind control module should do it.

OK this is my best guess as far as the wiring is concerned, I have colour coded the wires on the diagram.

Note: 240V Live in the UK is usually brown and 240V Neutral is usually blue. The other colours green, yellow & black are the colours of the wires on the Curtain wall controller 5 pin connector.

If anyone thinks this wiring is wrong please let us know.

Thanks

I am not familiar with all the USA Z-wave stores? But the few I have seen only seem to have rather expensive $200 - $250 modules for controlling blinds like these here.

Can you get the Aeon Labs Micro Smart Motor Controller in the US ?

Wow the postage is a killer for one 8 foot unit they want $128 for International Fedex to the UK. Seems very expensive!

Next time Im in Germany I can bring one for you :smiley: :smiley:
Yeah I saw the z-wave controllers available here in the US… I would not pay that much for it…
Still looking…

Btw,
I would be careful with this Aeon Labs Company…
Check out the board here, lot of people have issues with this device!
Flo

I’ve not used that Aeon Labs motor control module before. I have used other Aeon Labs products with no problems though.

This is a link to what Z-wave blind modules are available from our Euro distributor. I have asked them if they have any USA versions ? I doubt it but its worth asking as I could drop ship one to you.

EDIT: EU only >:(