Alert if Vera offline

If I loose Internet connectivity (And it happens often … since I live way outside a city/town using multi-hop radio links) my Vera’s reboot automatically when the connection is restored. I did not have do anything.

Then I get notified by the “Vera Alerts” plugin when Vera Restarts.

So I do not know when it happens … but I am never off the air for more than an hour.

[quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:21, topic:180808”]If I loose Internet connectivity (And it happens often … since I live way outside a city/town using multi-hop radio links) my Vera’s reboot automatically when the connection is restored. I did not have do anything.

Then I get notified by the “Vera Alerts” plugin when Vera Restarts.

So I do not know when it happens … but I am never off the air for more than an hour.[/quote]

I’m in the same boat, I just curious to as what you can do when your away from home get a text your ISP is down. Never been worth my hassle to setup a sim card just for this purpose. Last time I looked here in the US, every prepaid phone had some min. payment every so often to keep your phone number or account active. So even if I thought I wouldn’t use it much I had to keep recharging so much anyways as it expires. I think if I got to far into it, it would be better for me just to add on to my unlimited sprint data plan for so much a month. Then I can use the router on the UPS to fall over to LTE backup and keep vera up even during a power loss. But that would cost me 20ish a month which I have avoided.

[quote=“integlikewhoa, post:19, topic:180808”]Where are you located and what text plan do you have in mind on using without a monthly cost or recharging every few months required?
In the USA it doesn’t seem to have many no monthly options without you having to add or use so much to keep your account active.[/quote]

I’m in Portugal. Vodafone provides a free SIM card. You just need to use it once a month, otherwise you get billed for ?0.50/month.

Sorry, content is in Portuguese, the plan is Vodafone Flat: http://www.vodafone.pt/main/particulares/tarifarios/plano-flat.html

There should be similar plans for other Vodafone countries in Europe.

If the power is down, the Android phone has battery and will detect power is down and text me.

I cannot access Vera neither the cameras, so I would call my neighbors to check if there’s anything wrong. In any case, when the power is back I can use the cameras if there was any burglary (providing they didn’t steal the cameras attached to the ceiling :wink:

Not often, sometimes when the router gets automatic firmware upgrades from the ISP.

Call the neighbors. Everything should be working again once power is back up, or the router reboots.
So, the approach would be, if it’s down for too long, there’s something wrong. If it’s down for 5 minutes is business as usual.

hell, the file properties are not giving me the option to change the file type. Still researching this problem… any ideas?

I may be missing what you’re trying to do, but UI7 has an option for the Vera mothership to send an alert when you’re Vera is offline. I have my Vera reboot itself every day (using a cheap timer plug in from Walmart that it’s plugged into) and I get an alert every day of it being offline and then back online.

The setting is under User/Account Info, Notification Settings, and "Controller Offline Alert (Your Vera lost its Internet connection.)

[quote=“ldomingues, post:18, topic:180808”]Hello,

I’m looking for a similar solution, to be notified that the Internet is done, and thus any push notifications from Vera are not being sent.

I don’t want to invest in a virtual server neither a 4G Dongle.

The best/cheapest solution I could find was using an old Android phone with Tasker ((https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.dinglisch.android.taskerm).

I would then use a script to ping several servers, and if the connection fails, send me a text message.

This approach has the following advantages:
no monthly cost, except the cost of each text message sent
cheap old android device
no need for additional internet connection
text message will work even if I had disabled data services while I’m travelling to reduce roaming costs
the phone battery will be the UPS - so, if the internet fails because of power failure, the text message would be sent anyway
I can also setup an alert when the power fails (tasker can be setup to send a text message when the phone is running on battery and again when the power is back)

So far, it’s only theory, I haven’t yet implemented any of this. Any suggestions?[/quote]

I am finding it quite a disappointing that Vera does not have a contingency to warn the user if their box has failed. I have always assumed that there was some kind of minimal communication from Vera to our vera units that checked that it was working.

I have set some units up in some very remote places and will have to replace them with something that does not put me in a bad position.

I do not use the Vera app … but I would think it would complain if it could not talk to your Vera.

I use Vera Proximity for my GeoFencing. It let’s me know if it can’t talk to Vera when it tries to update the status of location.
But my house is so automated … I know when Vera is down … I have to remember where the light switches are and how to use them :wink:

[quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:27, topic:180808”]I do not use the Vera app … but I would think it would complain if it could not talk to your Vera.

I use Vera Proximity for my GeoFencing. It let’s me know if it can’t talk to Vera when it tries to update the status of location.
But my house is so automated … I know when Vera is down … I have to remember where the light switches are and how to use them ;)[/quote]

Yes but on vacation houses or remote houses your not there everyday (sometimes several months) and your also not opening the app everyday to that house to manually test the connection. When I finally do check on it, it may have been down for sometime (and probley no way to tell at that point how long either). Also everyone has different redundancy’s (power/internet) but If I find out a week later that my vera is down and power or internet was cut to the house a week prior during an break in I would be a bit upset.

It would be nice to have vera’s server send a notification when vera is down or up. This would log times and let you know somethings up check cameras or other devices at the house to see if all connections are lost, is vera just locked up or whats going on before finding out who knows when you manually check the next time.

Vera has this option but Vera had to do some magic to make mine work. Be aware, that the option is login dependent so you can’t just use the admin login to alter whether you want to system notifications turned on or off for each user.

My issue now is that the unit (units in my case) continually go up and down for unknown reasons. I checked my unit once during a warning and it was offline while my internet connection was perfectly sound. I emailed Vera about this and got no response. Too many errors is just as bad as no errors. They just get ignored.

It would be nice if you could specify “don’t warn me unless the unit or error has persisted for over an hour or some specified time”. That is, if the mysterious and continual controller down/controller up messages persist.

I am looking for a way to know that the controller is “offline” from the perspective of remote access. I’ve had several days of not being able to access mine remotely when it was perfectly fine. Vera told me I needed to check the Ergy plugin and that it might be causing memory issues, but I removed that obnoxious hog a year or so ago. Will try the settings method to see if that does what I need, but will keep looking…