Alexa Guard

Hi All,

Today Alexa Guard was released: Amazon rolls out Alexa Guard, to help protect your home while you’re out | TechCrunch

It’s a good idea and I’d like to use it with Vera. Anyone know if there is a way to trigger it as part of Away or Vacation mode?

Thanks!

I’ve been researching this myself. It’s a great idea… If anyone finds any http commands or anything that would make it work please share.

1 Like

Hi!
I’m also interested if anyone finds a solution to this.

I am still very interested in this. Amazon announced that they are going to push an update that will allow guard to be enabled via a routine within the Alexa app. Unfortunately, we still can’t trigger routines within the Alexa system. Another annoyance is that i can’t see any Vera devices within the Alexa routines. It would be nice not only to use Guard but also have Vera trigger a sound on my Echo whenever a sensor is tripped such as a door or even an alarm. It would be great if these two products had a bit more compatibility.

I currently have two Sonos ones (generally for quick access music) one has Alexa enabled and the other has google home voice assistant I use the one with google home enabled to send tts commands to when house changes to Away or vacation mode to verbally turn on Alexa guard and also to arm burglar deterrent in different parts of the house at different times of the day e.g 6-9 kitchen noise 11-1pm lounge noise 6pm-9pm bathroom noise

That is a nice work around. I have been playing with the idea of tts but have found that most people using it have implemented via the Sonos platform. Very cool… now i’m wondering of there are other options for tts. haha

I managed to get tts working on Alex in about 30 minutes. Now I expect I could do it in 5. But you will (probably) need another (linux) machine on which to run the actual commands. It is probably possible to do it just on Vera, but I didn’t fancy working it out.

C

I have a prototype for Alexa TTS since a couple of weeks. 100% local. I will share more over the weekend, I had some work things to do and I got distracted.