[Altsteon] Getting Started / How-To *Read First*

[quote=“azula, post:19, topic:171423”]I successfully added the PLM and one dimmer to the UI but the dimmer is not responding at all. I verified that the dimmer/plm connection is working by enabling native vera support. I disabled before trying alsteon again, still no luck.

OK, figured out how to use PUTTY and this is what I see:

root@MiOS_35013568:~# /overlay/sbin/altsteon -p /dev/ttyUSB0
root@MiOS_35013568:~# Debug Level : 0
[INFO ] [9/21/2013 - 02:03:29] - --| Starting altsteon!
[INFO ] [9/21/2013 - 02:03:29] - Running on non-apple Hardware
[ERROR] [9/21/2013 - 02:03:39] - PLM didn’t respond!
[INFO ] [9/21/2013 - 02:03:39] - Modem info :
[INFO ] [9/21/2013 - 02:03:39] - cflag = 00000CBE
[INFO ] [9/21/2013 - 02:03:39] - oflag = 00000000
[INFO ] [9/21/2013 - 02:03:39] - iflag = 00000804
[INFO ] [9/21/2013 - 02:03:39] - lflag = 00000000
[ERROR] [9/21/2013 - 02:03:39] - Failed to initialize PLM.
[INFO ] [9/21/2013 - 02:03:29] - --| Starting altsteon![/quote]

I have the exact same issue. My PLM device is using the IP address of my veraLite (192.168.5.20). what am I doing wrong here?

I have the same error, did you ever resolve it?

i cant remember for sure but I think the issue was that only one service can be connected to the PLM at a time and altsteon was launching at startup so it was already connected to the plm. I manually stopped the service and then i was able to connect to it using the command line.

unfortunately i don’t remember the exact commands i used to do that but I believe that is what was happening.

Correct, only one process can use the serial port at a time. If you have the startup LUA launching altsteon, you can’t start a second process from the command line unless you kill the first one.

You can either remove it from the startup LUA and reboot, or see my steps here (2nd half of post):
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,16990.msg131333.html#msg131333

That was the problem, everything is working perfectly now.

I’m pretty sure I made every mistake possible installing Alsteon.

The update rate of Alsteon seems a bit slow and the Insteon motion detectors 2842-222 don’t seem to be working perfectly…

Thanks for the feedback

I’ve gone through all the steps but something’s not working. Deleted and tried again… same issue. I’m trying to just connect 1 KPL to my PLM, which was (barely working) with built-in Insteon support, so I know the unit works. I’ve disconnected the built in support, then installed Alsteon.

The PLM shows up as a device, but if I click on the connection tab, it is frozen at “opening serialConnection”. i’m going to assume my problem is there??? Help!

Assuming I get that working, my second question is if can someone confirm that to actually add the KPL, I have to sync it first with the PLM. I did this by pressing the PLM set button, then the KPL button until the PLM beeps and light stays steady. (done that).

then how to I add it actually in Vera? I found these steps… is that how?

Go to : Apps → Develop Apps → Create device and enter these values :

Keypadlincs will show up as a single dimmer switch for the on/off portion, then some 
  number of relay switches for the remaining buttons.  The button numbers that will
            be shown are the same as the button numbers used on the Insteon network.  So, if 
            you are using a 6 button kpl,
  "Scene A" will be button 3.

In the "Create device" section, use the following settings :

Device type : urn:geektaco-info:device:dimmer-kpl:1
     Internal ID : <address of the device in aa.bb.cc format>
     Description : <Whatever you want to call this device>
     Upnp Device Filename : D_InsteonDimmerKpl.xml
     Upnp Implementation Filename : I_InsteonDimmerKpl.xml
     Ip Address : <blank>
     MAC : <blank>
     Room : <don't care>
     Parent device : plm

Then, click "Create device" and move on to the next one.

And third and last question… I read this in another forum, but have no idea (total newbie by trying hard) how to

go to altsteon_cli and turn on and off devices, poll them, and the like.

Thanks!

I need some help setting up Altsteon.
I got lost in the step 6…so how to login using SSH?

This is what I did.
I downloaded Putty.exe, and executed.
I used root as ID, but can’t login with any kind info. as a password on the bottom of my Vera Lite.
I only see Model #, S/N and MAC#.
What is the password of VeraLite?

And for the step 2, I have to unzip altsteon-0.08.tar.gz right?
After I unzip 2 times, I see vera3-binaries folder and vera-files folder.
Do I have to upload all files from those 2 folders? (it is a lot of files…I want to make sure I am doing the right thing.)

Thanks in advance.

[quote=“jiehooni, post:27, topic:171423”]I need some help setting up Altsteon.
I got lost in the step 6…so how to login using SSH?

This is what I did.
I downloaded Putty.exe, and executed.
I used root as ID, but can’t login with any kind info. as a password on the bottom of my Vera Lite.
I only see Model #, S/N and MAC#.
What is the password of VeraLite?[/quote]

I am having the same issue, can’t find the root password on the Vera Lite

I found the answer here: http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Logon_Vera_SSH#Can.27t_find_the_root_password.3F

On Vera Lite’s, the root password isn’t printed on the bottom. So you need to access to the ‘Tech Support’ settings. Depending on your UI version, this is either under the Advanced tab, the Settings tab, or the Account tab. There will be an ‘enable’ button. Click that to turn on the tech support service. You will see a message like this:
Tech support full control enabled, access code 3000000-436969
The first number is your serial number, which is always printed on the bottom. The second number is a temporary password created for a user called “remote”. So, follow the same login instructions, but, instead of typing root for the login, type remote. And instead of using the normal password, use that temporary password, 436969 in this case. Once you have gotten in to the console, you can see the actual root password using this command: nvram show | grep pass
You’ll see something like this:
root@MiOS_30000000:~# nvram show | grep pass vera_wifipass=shade83forest
So in this case, shade83forest, is the actual root password. Write it down, and from now on login as ‘root’ as explained earlier, and use that password. The temporary password for the remote user will only be valid for 24 hours or until you click ‘Disable it’ on the tech support page.

Thanks, I finally got the password, at least.
But I am really not familiar with this ‘SSH’ stuff, almost giving it up.

[quote=“jiehooni, post:29, topic:171423”]Thanks, I finally got the password, at least.
But I am really not familiar with this ‘SSH’ stuff, almost giving it up.[/quote]

Download Putty to connect using SSH, PM me if you need help setting it up, I finally got it working this morning.

Thanks Joey.
I do need help in details, however your message option is disabled if the little email icon under the ID is what PM means.

Try now

any news if this is going to be in the appstore? It does not look too hard, and im decently technical, but I might not have a grasp on this.

Eaton

Probably not any time. Haven’t seen further development on it in the last few months.

I’ve switched over to an ISY controller for my insteon gear and use a plugin that I developed for vera. Purdueguy who was working on altsteon is now using an ISY as well.

• Garrett

[quote=“garrettwp, post:34, topic:171423”]Probably not any time. Haven’t seen further development on it in the last few months.

I’ve switched over to an ISY controller for my insteon gear and use a plugin that I developed for vera. Purdueguy who was working on altsteon is now using an ISY as well.

• Garrett[/quote]

could I bother you for some info on what ISY controller and are you going to publish your plugin?

The ISY controller is a dedicated insteon controller made by Universal Devices. It is a little pricey for some who want insteon control for some devices. But to me it is worth it.

The plugin is already doing discussed on the forum. The code is published on code.mios.com.

• Garrett

Sorry it this sounds primitive, but I don’t understand what this means:

"1) Link all devices to PLM.
You MUST link all your Insteon devices to your PLM. See your PLM’s and device specific User Manuals for the method.

• This is important - if they are not linked they will not work properly, if at all, with Altsteon *"

Is there something I need to do beyond have these paired with my existing Vera software? If so, how do I do it? Thanks.

So you link the PLM to all your devices so that they’ll instantly send status updates to the system. All this is asking you to do is pair them in both directions. So you pair the PLM → device (so Altsteon can control it) and then device → PLM so that when you flip the switch locally, that gets sent to Altsteon.

You can do this manually with the button presses, or you can use the altsteon_cli to do it. If you’re using the recent developer build, there is even a single command that’ll do it all. You just add the device, then run the 2 way pairing command. I always have to look it up, let me dig it up and then edit this post.

Edit: And it also appears you can do this via GUI if you like, see below.

plm link_new_device <device>
add_device <device>

You can also link via the Vera UI if you are running the development build.
I added that capability a while back:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,15693.msg120294.html#msg120294

I’ve been using the native support on the Vera since July and I’ve gotten by just for awhile. I quite a few scenes setup just the way I want, but want to add an insteon leak sensor which the native insteon doesn’t support. I’ve found in these forums someone stating that under Alsteon it does and I think I’m ready to take the plunge, but have one question before I get started.

After I install altsteon are my current devices that are setup to use insteon going to disappear (don’t think so from reading the forums)? Can I just go into the configuration of each device and point them to use altsteon? If that is the case I won’t have to redo all the Luup scripts that I have configured currently.

Thanks