[Altsteon] Getting Started / How-To *Read First*

Unfortunately links to the API documents don’t work.

Most likely, they added a layer on top of the regular Insteon PLM protocol, so Altsteon wouldn’t know how to talk to the ZBPLM.

There is, however, a chance that they use different message types for Insteon vs Zigbee, and it would be transparent. I doubt that would be the case tho.

Either way, Altsteon won’t know anything about Zigbee items, so it would be a waste of $.

Hi,

I am trying to get my new PLM and KeyPadLirc working, I have created the PLM device and can communicate with it via the CLI. Here’s the output of the “list” command (address isn’t xx.xx.xx):

Cmd : list
Cmd : [TRACE] [8/26/2014 - 19:52:47] - CLIENT COMMAND : list
[TRACE] [8/26/2014 - 19:52:47] - List devices…
plm:0046,02,03,15,1,2B,90,82 - plm (DevCat : 3 SubCat : 21 Hidden : 1 Addr : xx.xx.xx)
end:004E,02 - End of list.

I can add the KeyPadLirc via coomand

Cmd : add_device yy.yy.yy

[TRACE] [8/26/2014 - 19:55:52] - Device is probably asleep.
[INFO ] [8/26/2014 - 19:55:52] - yy.yy.yy is sleeping…

and an updated list shows:
Cmd : list
Cmd : [TRACE] [8/26/2014 - 19:58:22] - CLIENT COMMAND : list
[TRACE] [8/26/2014 - 19:58:22] - List devices…
yy.yy.yy:0046,FF,FF,FF,00,2A,95,C2 - yy.yy.yy (DevCat : 255 SubCat : 255 Hidden : 0 Addr : yy.yy.yy)
plm:0046,02,03,15,1,2B,90,82 - plm (DevCat : 3 SubCat : 21 Hidden : 1 Addr : xx.xx.xx)
end:004E,02 - End of list.

Looking good so far… But
Cmd : yy.yy.yy on
Cmd : [TRACE] [8/26/2014 - 20:01:07] - CLIENT COMMAND : yy.yy.yy on
[TRACE] [8/26/2014 - 20:01:07] - To client : Unknown command ‘on’.
Unknown command ‘on’.

I was wondering if maybe it’s not properly linked, but when I tried the link command shown earlier in thread I get:
Cmd : plm link_new_device yy.yy.yy
Cmd : [TRACE] [8/26/2014 - 20:03:01] - CLIENT COMMAND : plm link_new_device yy.yy.yy
[TRACE] [8/26/2014 - 20:03:01] - To client : plm:FFFD,02 - Command not valid.
plm:FFFD,02 - Command not valid.

I’m not really sure how to tell if the two devices are properly linked - I did do the whole set button (on PLM) and press buttons (KeyPadLirc) dance with beeps in between (it’s a 6-button variety). So I’m kind of stuck - any instructions to help get me loose?

Thanks,

BTW: I noticed the ttyUSB device changed while I was setting up my PLM (went from 0 to 1) - not sure why.

Not sure about the KeyLinc parts (just got a few the other day and haven’t dived in yet), but the USB device number changing usually happens when the plm becomes disconnected and the re-connects while the altsteon daemon is running. Basically, altsteon open /dev/ttyUSB0 and holds it open. If the plm goes away and comes back, the system notes ttyUSB0 is in use and allocates the next one, ttyUSB1.

Becoming disconnected runs from pulling the USB cord out of the Vera or the PLM or unplugging (and thus powering down) the plm, even for a moment.

You could solve this by ssh’ing into vera, killing the altsteon daemon (well, the ser2net) disconnecting the plm and then re-connecting it. That is a pain in the butt though. Easier is just restarting the vera (Setup->Net & Wifi → Reboot).

Great explanation - I should have recognized that

I just updated to UI7, went relatively well and overall I’m happy with it. Actually all of my Altsteon transferred over, although there is a notification of a device not responding, turns out it’s the PLM.

Question is, does anyone know if the built in support for Insteon is still total Shiite or have they finally lived up to the claim of supporting it?

I’m kind of shocked they haven’t paid the brilliant developer of Alsteon, it works great.

I wouldn’t hold my breath for the insteon supply to get any better. The developer of altsteon has parted ways and moved on to a different path. So development will be pretty much at a stand still.

• Garrett

Finally got back to working on my setup and have been running into issues. I can run the CLI client and verify the PLM, add devices (using a Dimmer for testing), and turn that device on/off while getting status updates in the CLI. Per the instructions, I created the PLM device - which the interface created immediately (ie: a box say device was created popped up as soon as I hit create button). I also did the same for the Dimmer… However, the dimmer device’s On/Off buttons are both grayed and pressing either doesn’t do anything. Going into the options screen shows the On/Off options again, but pressing those returns an error – “error invalid service/action/device”. Anyone seen this behavior with Ui7? Thanks in advance

Quick question, I know it says link devices to the PLM first. Do I have to do that by holding Set etc on the PLM and linking them, or can I use HouseLinc to add the devices to the PLM? Isn’t using HouseLinc the same thing as just using the PLM directly, as long as I don’t start creating scenes and so on just add them and nothing else to link?

Yes to both.

Also, if you are using the latest dev version of Altsteon you can link directly from the Vera. Either open the options for the PLM, or use the altsteon cli “plm link_new_device xx.xx.xx”.

I know this is pretty much abandonware at this point, but is anyone interested in trying to update the json files to be UI7 compatible? Altsteon handles my needs for now, but I’m most likely heading towards an ISY. I’ve started looking at the UI differences, and it doesn’t look too difficult, but if there is no interest I probably won’t bother past the dimmer devices that affect me.

Although my programming skills are really rusty, I would be interested…

Jimbo added support for the smoke bridge in April, has anybody bothered to recompile with those changes? Doesn’t look like any other changes besides adding that device.

http://sourceforge.net/p/altsteon/code/ci/d870cd3d426dc3c41793ca0666fb0a2422b2648e/

I sent him the smoke bridge and alarm to get it working, but I guess the automated system never made a build. And I haven’t been able to get a response from him. I’ve got a new ISY in a box, I’ll probably switch to it too.

Hi,

I have been reading through this and seems that the Altsteon is abandoned. But I still installed it because the native insteon does not work well. I have gotten as far as to test with the Altsteon_CLI and was successful. I have a weird issue when I add a new device it creates it but I have no on/off buttons for some reason. I loaded all the files in the Luup files and they seem to be fine. I followed the setup to create device for relay. I am so close, can anyone help? What am I missing, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

David

Never mind I reloaded the engine and they appeared.

Has anyone successfully gotten this to work on a VeraEdge with a FanLinc? My tries have failed with the LUUP engine restarting over and over again.

Seems the original hosting site is down. Anyone have a mirror?

I noticed that too today. Just one more nail, huh? :-\

A google search should turn up the sourceforge page. It has the latest code.

Airedale, did you get anywhere with VeraEdge and Altsteon? I have been battling with the setup of a 2413U PLM and am to the point of trying to configure using Altsteon as nothing seems to work at this point.

No - never got anywhere with it on Vera Edge - there is another thread where they said they got it working with a WRT upgrade.

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,30823.15.html