Am I doing it right? Reactor 3.0 with Multi-path Logic

G’day Patrick, I’ve been slowly streamlining all mu Reactor Logic to take advantage of v3.x’s awesomeness and I’m just wondering if the below approach is valid. Previously I had 3 Logic Sensors to do what I think I’ve done with 1.

The Basic premise is when Night Mode is triggered, check the weather conditions and set the HVAC systems to an appropriate mode.

The only activities I’m using are for “Cold Night = True”, “Warm Night = True” & “Hot Night = True”. I’m operating under the assumption that when group “Night On” becomes True it will check to see which of the OR conditions are True and then trigger the Activity linked to the True OR condition?

I haven’t actually tested this in anger yet but I’m keen to find out if I understand how to apply nested OR logic correctly.

Ok, I’m clearly doing something wrong as it doesnt do what I expect it to. :thinking:

The nesting of the various time tests in group “All Conditions” doesn’t enforce house mode on those tests. Or put another way, the effect of nesting moves UP the hierarchy, not down–so the house mode test has no effect on any of the All Condition groups in this structure. If the house mode matters in Cold Night, Warm Night, and Hot Night, then you should test house mode in those groups.

Now, since your house mode test is two components (a house mode condition and a Nest device state condition), what I would do is move group All Conditions out to the root level (same level as Night On–make them siblings, not parent-child), and then add a Group State condition checking Night On to each of your three weather groups (Cold Night, Warm Night, Hot Night). That way, your two-part night test (in group Night On) can be tested as a single condition (group state) in those weather groups. The Activities are fine where they are and should not be disturbed by moving the All Conditions group.

• Night All <root> (AND)
    • Night On (AND)
    • All Conditions (OR)
      • Cold Night (AND)
      • Warm Night (AND)
      • Hot Night (AND)

Cheers, after I found it didn’t work I went back to a brute force option: :grin:

That’s fine. If you want to keep your Nest in the test, just make another group inside the root/top level with those two tests (House Mode and Nest) as you had before. Then change your House Mode tests in each of the Cold/Warm/Hot Night groups to a group state test against your new house mode group. That preserves your original logic, but keeps the relative simplicity of the test you are now doing in the Cold/Warm/Hot groups.

1 Like