[Another] VeraPlus bricked after firmware upgrade...

After support, it was declared “software defective” and needed to be replaced. No way to “unbrick” it.

After my VeraPlus bricked, I bought a new one. Fresh out of the box started the setup. Came to the upgrade firmware page. Clicked updated firmware and reset unit to factory defaults. Another brick. Power light flashing only. I cant be this unlucky. I am using an iMac with Catalina with the latest firefox.
Could it be a browser issue? I am totally lost.
I have a voicemail into support but I know they wont be able to see it as it will not respond to ping.

Flagging for @Sorin

I can’t however, see how this can be an OS / Browser issue

C

Sorry about this, heaving the tech team look this up. Do you also have a ticket I can direct them to?

After waiting 45 mins on the wait 15 mins screen before cycling power, Calling Tech support and leaving voice mail. Multiple power cycles, Multiple push the reset button 6 times, nothing helped. Tech support called back about an hour later. As I was explained the issue low and behold I see the VeraPlus just start to boot. Tech support didn’t do anything yet. I cant explain it. I wish I had a clue how it magically booted. It now has the latest firmware and I have power cycled the unit multiple times, restored my backup, tested devices and all is well. Maybe the initial wait 15 mins needs to be 1.5 hours??
Thanks,

Hi

Since today I’m another victim of the KILLER UPGRADE!!!

my vera plus has only power led on…and no ping…no response from http…nothing

Already wrote to customer care…I hope they can find a solution…and quick!!!

OT

Add me to the dead victim list of the killer firmware upgrade.

Why the heck is this not pulled ???

Sorry to hear that … it is a very frustrating experience to go through. It was the turning point for me to begin moving off Vera. Tech Support couldn’t fix my VeraPlus after the update failed and said they’ll look into replacing it. I saw what the tech was trying to do and I ended up fixing it myself. I’ve been using a Vera since 2013 and like it for the most part, but after that upgrade experience - never again. That was the one and only firmware upgrade I did on the VeraPlus. And ultimately the last. :slight_smile:

Good luck!

1 Like

Before I took the plunge (into upgrading to firmware 7.0.31) It was a very tense two weeks of hand-wringing and Forum reading!

I remember carefully pruning every last bit of unneeded Vera fluff – old plug-ins, unneeded Scenes, offline devices, orphaned folders, etc. – before even LOOKING at the “Upgrade” screen. And even then, walking away a dozen times before committing.

There’s been no official word, of course, on the total body count after the carnage some Vera users experienced. Thankfully, most of the major injuries seemed to be non-lethal, but no question some did not make it, and I’m sorry to hear you are (or almost were) among them.

Did you go so far as to Factory Reset your Vera and attempt to Restore a saved known-good configuration from Mios servers? Or was your “fix” more complicated than that?

I choose firmware update w/factory reset.

Should be labeled “press here to brick”.

WHY IS VERA PUSHING FIRMWARE THAT BRICK DEVICES ???

AND, WHY NOT PUBLISH HOW TO FIX, IF POSSIBLE ???

1 Like

Hit that “Need Help!” button up top, my friend. Hope they can resuscitate the patient!

1 Like

Hi - just upgraded my firmware on my VeraEdge and now it is stuck on a powercycle with the power light blinking non-stop. Does that mean it is bricked and has a solution been found? @Sorin

Sorry to hear about this.
Someone will be with you shortly

Dear @buttercup89
In order to help you troubleshoot the controller, please let us know if you’ve already raised a technical support ticket through support@getvera.com as we haven’t been able to find any cases under your e-mail address.
In case you haven’t done so, please confirm and we will send you a message.

We will remain attentive to your response.
Cheers.

Hi everybody,
I got similar problem today with a brand new VeraPlus.

After performing a firmware upgrade of my new Vera Plus I had in a box for a few months, the device does not boot nor respond anymore.
I have a blinking power light at startup (blinking quickly, not slowly) and nothing else, even after 30 mn. An ethernet cable is plugged in the device, and the ethernet port is blinking ; it got an ip adress from the router, but i cannot ping the device.

I sent a mail to support via the web form, but i got no confirmation that the mail was well sent…
Thanks in advance for your help !

By the way, I could put the device in recovery mode, and I can see it listed with the recovery utility on windows XP via VirtualBox…

Add me to the list of vicitims of [multiple] bricked Vera Plus units… I had one that was working for four years after upgrading from a Vera Lite and one day it stupidly installed a firmware “upgrade” (I stupidly let it), which bricked it. In their defense, the EZLO folks honored the “software failed” device and sent me a new one, but it was bricked out of the box. They sent me another one, but after following the “custom” firmware update procedure (progressing through no less than THREE firmware updates successively on a fresh out of the box unit? really?) it is now a brick as well. What’s worse is that the RMA process was not consistent and the second time around it took me over two weeks to get another device (which I will re-state is now a brick as well), and I was about to have some serious surgery and wanted my home automation back for my recovery period. Alas, another fail. So after sending a polite but terse note to Vera support right before going out for my surgery (last Thursday at 2:31 AM MST), I have yet to hear a peep from them. I want a replacement unit and I expect to get it. Clearly, I will freeze the firmware in place, as their update process is cack and they can’t seem to ship a unit with “current” firmware. Your mileage may vary but, judging from this thread, it isn’t likely.

Cheers.

1 Like

Hi @Sorin,
is there a way to know if customer service received my request for assistance ? I didn’t get any confirmation message after filling up the form on the “need help” page, and I didn’t get any answer on the forum neither…
Thanks for your help !

1 Like

Holy cow, cannot fathom that this is still happening.

1 Like

Yes, I saw that this issue is quite common, and I remember from my previous experience that updating the firmware of a Vera was never a risk free operation !
However, it’s the first time that I get a Vera unite completely bricked after updating the firmware… I am wondering if this does not come from the fact that I checked the “Delete all settings” option during the update (I wanted to start fresh new).

Best Home Automation shopping experience. Shop at getvera!

© 2020 Vera Control Ltd., All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Forum Rules