[Another] VeraPlus bricked after firmware upgrade...

Sorry to hear about this.
Someone will be with you shortly

Dear @buttercup89
In order to help you troubleshoot the controller, please let us know if youā€™ve already raised a technical support ticket through support@getvera.com as we havenā€™t been able to find any cases under your e-mail address.
In case you havenā€™t done so, please confirm and we will send you a message.

We will remain attentive to your response.
Cheers.

Hi everybody,
I got similar problem today with a brand new VeraPlus.

After performing a firmware upgrade of my new Vera Plus I had in a box for a few months, the device does not boot nor respond anymore.
I have a blinking power light at startup (blinking quickly, not slowly) and nothing else, even after 30 mn. An ethernet cable is plugged in the device, and the ethernet port is blinking ; it got an ip adress from the router, but i cannot ping the device.

I sent a mail to support via the web form, but i got no confirmation that the mail was well sentā€¦
Thanks in advance for your help !

By the way, I could put the device in recovery mode, and I can see it listed with the recovery utility on windows XP via VirtualBoxā€¦

Add me to the list of vicitims of [multiple] bricked Vera Plus unitsā€¦ I had one that was working for four years after upgrading from a Vera Lite and one day it stupidly installed a firmware ā€œupgradeā€ (I stupidly let it), which bricked it. In their defense, the EZLO folks honored the ā€œsoftware failedā€ device and sent me a new one, but it was bricked out of the box. They sent me another one, but after following the ā€œcustomā€ firmware update procedure (progressing through no less than THREE firmware updates successively on a fresh out of the box unit? really?) it is now a brick as well. Whatā€™s worse is that the RMA process was not consistent and the second time around it took me over two weeks to get another device (which I will re-state is now a brick as well), and I was about to have some serious surgery and wanted my home automation back for my recovery period. Alas, another fail. So after sending a polite but terse note to Vera support right before going out for my surgery (last Thursday at 2:31 AM MST), I have yet to hear a peep from them. I want a replacement unit and I expect to get it. Clearly, I will freeze the firmware in place, as their update process is cack and they canā€™t seem to ship a unit with ā€œcurrentā€ firmware. Your mileage may vary but, judging from this thread, it isnā€™t likely.

Cheers.

1 Like

Hi @Sorin,
is there a way to know if customer service received my request for assistance ? I didnā€™t get any confirmation message after filling up the form on the ā€œneed helpā€ page, and I didnā€™t get any answer on the forum neitherā€¦
Thanks for your help !

1 Like

Holy cow, cannot fathom that this is still happening.

1 Like

Yes, I saw that this issue is quite common, and I remember from my previous experience that updating the firmware of a Vera was never a risk free operation !
However, itā€™s the first time that I get a Vera unite completely bricked after updating the firmwareā€¦ I am wondering if this does not come from the fact that I checked the ā€œDelete all settingsā€ option during the update (I wanted to start fresh new).

Hi John, I pinned to the support team board to make sure they get back to you first thing in the morning.
So sorry to hear about this.

Thanks for your reply ! Iā€™ll keep on putting updates on this thread in case it helps somebody in the future !

1 Like

Coming with an update, the agents say that they already contacted you on Friday asking for details to schedule a phone call to which you never replied. They will update the ticket again.

Hello Jhon,
We replied to your support request last Friday and I just re-sent it as well. Please check your e-mail in case the message automatically went to spam.
We will remain attentive to your response in order to assist you.

1 Like

Another one here. Picked it up the beginning of the year (was starting to move away from Wink), but it was a little unreliable (would stop responding). Pulled it out a few days go, removed all the devices, added two devices, upgraded the firmware and nada. Put a service request in 2 days ago, and since then I have been able to get the unit to respond in recovery mode. I built an XP vm, put on the the recover software, and it does detect it. Just waiting for support to get back to me on getting access to a bin file to flash. Iā€™m hopeful that will get this unit to be more reliable than it was. I realize that the support department is probably swamped with people switching from Wink, but you donā€™t want to alienate your existing customers. I tried calling several times, during different times of the day but always ended up being told to leave a VM.

1 Like

Hi @valentina and @Sorin,

thanks for answering me !
It is very strange : I did not receive any message from my customer support requests, but I received messages from the website each time somebody answers to one of my message on the forumā€¦

I checked the spam, but nothing neither ! Can I give you another email adress ?
Thanks for your help, and sorry for the trouble !

Coming back with some more news on my case !
I got in touch with customer service, who took control on my computer and helped me out. Actually, I already tried several times to reset my device, but with no success. I tried again with customer service, but no success either the first time.
Then, I put the device in rescue mode for about 10mn. Then, I turned it off, wait for 10-20s, and turned it on again. After 2mn, I did the reset procedure again (6 times press on reset quickly) and the reset actually worked this specific time ! Now the device is back on, with the new firmware installed.
I hope this update will help anybody with the same problem !

How do you put something into rescue mode? Iā€™m on my second bricked Vera Plus due to firmware upgrade.

I have 2 Vera Plus - with FW 1.7.4453 installed and has been stable since 1.7.4453 was installed.
Whenever I log on - i says 1.7.4970 is available.
I have NOT attempted to update to the new firmware due to the MANY problems outlined on this forum.
Does anyone know if anyone at Vera is working on a more stable FW version - or or they just working on the Atom stuff and just hoping all of their long time Vera users will just go away?

There is most likely not a new Vera FW coming out. I would recommend upgrading because the vast majority of users have had successful upgrades including myself. The best way to upgrade is to back up the Vera (including your z wave network), factory restoring then upgrading. Once the upgrade is successful restore to your previous back up. People are usually having issues with older plugins, so if you have a few old plugins that havenā€™t been supported in a while Iā€™d remove those too.

1 Like

I agree with all you are saying except that a new firmware isnt going to be released. According to what Iā€™ve read in posts from Ezlo beta-testing of their new Linux-based firmware for Vera isnt too far away. So Iā€™m still hopefull. :grinning:

1 Like

Ah yes I should re-word there is NOT a new FW coming out based on the current FW, there is the new Linux based FW coming though.

2 Likes