Arduino Nano V3.0 with CH340G - anyone have this working over serial?

Hi all,
I am very new to both Vera and MySensors, and feel a bit like Alice who has fallen into a different universe! I ordered a bunch of devices from the AilExpress and this included some Arduino Nanos that have the CH340G chipset for USB to Serial comms. It appears that this particular chipset isn’t supported on Vera Lite (the one I have) as it doesn’t recognise it.

Has anyone been able to make this work? I am now stuck. I have a working gateway (as far as I can tell when it is connected to my main Windows machine). I have a simple sensor on another Nano device, and I see serial output on both devices, and they appear to communicate wirelessly.

However, I can’t get the Gateway to be recognised by the Vera at all.

My understanding is that you can add devices to serproxy.ports file, but for that to work, when you run dmesg, you have to see something about the device - in my case, dmesg only reports:

usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using rt3883-ohci and address 7 - nothing else.

Am I correct in thinking that changes to serproxy.ports will not work in this case?
I have found the Linux drivers for the CH340 device, but they need to be compiled, and as far as I can tell, make is not included in the Vera - but I am not a Linux user, so I could be completely wrong on this one.

If anyone has got this combination to work, I would be most appreciative of any information you might have that could help - especially as it appears almost impossible to find any cloned Nanos that don’t have this chip.

I have ordered some Ethernet W5100 modules, but they will take 3 weeks to get here, and I would like to make some progress before then if possible.

Regards,
CalvinAndHobbes

I tried to get the CH340G chipset working with Vera3 on UI1.5 but gave up after many, many failures.

[quote=“CalvinAndHobbes, post:1, topic:186778”]Hi all,
I am very new to both Vera and MySensors, and feel a bit like Alice who has fallen into a different universe! I ordered a bunch of devices from the AilExpress and this included some Arduino Nanos that have the CH340G chipset for USB to Serial comms. It appears that this particular chipset isn’t supported on Vera Lite (the one I have) as it doesn’t recognise it.

Has anyone been able to make this work? I am now stuck. I have a working gateway (as far as I can tell when it is connected to my main Windows machine). I have a simple sensor on another Nano device, and I see serial output on both devices, and they appear to communicate wirelessly.

However, I can’t get the Gateway to be recognised by the Vera at all.

My understanding is that you can add devices to serproxy.ports file, but for that to work, when you run dmesg, you have to see something about the device - in my case, dmesg only reports:

usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using rt3883-ohci and address 7 - nothing else.

Am I correct in thinking that changes to serproxy.ports will not work in this case?
I have found the Linux drivers for the CH340 device, but they need to be compiled, and as far as I can tell, make is not included in the Vera - but I am not a Linux user, so I could be completely wrong on this one.

If anyone has got this combination to work, I would be most appreciative of any information you might have that could help - especially as it appears almost impossible to find any cloned Nanos that don’t have this chip.

I have ordered some Ethernet W5100 modules, but they will take 3 weeks to get here, and I would like to make some progress before then if possible.

Regards,
CalvinAndHobbes[/quote]

Did you ever have any luck with this? I have the same message when running ‘dmesg’ and no serial port appears in ‘Apps / Develop Apps / Serial Port Configuration’ on Vera to allow me to set up a serial port get my Arduino mySensors Serial Gateway connected.

Try the drivers here. They worked for me on Yosemite.

http://sparks.gogo.co.nz/ch340.html

Edit: This would only work for programming a sensor node, but probably not the gateway.

There is no package kmod-usb-serial-ch341 for Backfire (10.03) ramips. So someone would need to backport it I guess.

I too am desperate.

I cannot get a Nano with the CH340 chip to work with Vera3. IS this possible?

I have found a vendor in China with the FTDI chipset but now have to wait for several weeks

If someone can get the CH340 chipset working as a serial gateway with Vera, please do let us know

THANKS

Simple solution to this is to get an FTDI USB to Serial board ( Like this http://www.amazon.com/Qunqi-FT232RL-Serial-Adapter-Arduino/dp/B014Y1IMNM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1455908710&sr=8-4&keywords=ftdi+usb+to+serial )
Wire gnd,vcc and then tx to rx and rx to tx and use that as the usb plug into vera.