AutoVera updates sometimes delayed up to a few minutes

I have set up my autovera to turn on my tablet when my motion sensor is triggered, and show the camera for 45 seconds, then turn off the screen again. That’s all working fine. But now I am trying to find a way to temporarily turn that functionality off. I tried on the Android side with a tasker toggle task but I have not got that working. So I thought I write a scene in Vera, as on the autovera device the devices getting updates are ticked. But in the normal scene I cannot change anything on the autovera device. In the advanced section I can togglestatusupdates which is probably what I want. But what do I put in the ID field ? Name is surely what I have named my devices so that’s easy.

Enabling and disabling of Status Updates is not something that’s done through the Vera dashboard, the settings you’re referencing actually relate to the registered Android devices as a whole. AutoVera was intentionally developed to keep most settings and configuration off of Vera and instead provide access to everything on your Android device.

My suggestion would be to allocate a Virtual Switch to control the Status Updates. When your Virtual Switch is turned on, use an AutoVera Status Update to trigger an AutoVera Settings action. In your Autovera Settings action, you can use Nicknames and enable Status Updates for multiple devices with one action, or you can create and AutoVera Settings action for each device. Either way you’ll end witht the same result. Then create an addtional task or set of Tasks to disable, using the same Virtual Switch. You can now use that Virtual Switch in your Scenes to enable or disable Status Updates. Let me know if you have questions.

Ok i’ll have a play with tasker and see if i can find it, but it makes sense (as long as the settings action enables me to do what i think you meant)

seems to work, but one thing I noticed, with autovera profiles I do not seem to be able to define exit tasks which is a shame as I have to create another profile for the ‘exit’ action

And another problem now… I created a virtual switch for the updates, then went to update devices on autovera, and it either crashes (crash report sent vis app) or is stuck on updating devices… I rebooted the phone, still does not work. After trying a few times I can now enable/disable most of my devices for status updates, but not all of them. When I first tried none of them could be enabled.

In your Task, to alleviate having to create two separate profiles, you can use the IF/ELSE/END IF actions to separate your Task based on the new status if the Virtual Switch

Example:

If %avnewstatus ~ 1
Enable Status Updates
Else If %avnewstatus ~0
Disable Status Updates
End If

Thanks for reporting your crashes, your reports will be addressed. As for the other issue, if after manually refreshing from within the AutoVera app doesn’t resolve any problems with devices not showing, or working correctly, you can try clearing data for AutoVera within Android Settings or App Info. Your existing profiles and tasks will not be affected, but you will need to re-register your Android device with the AutoVera plugin.

Thanks for your feedback and please keep the questions coming.

if you don’t mind another question… I have created a task (from your suggestion) which starts the tinycam monitor when my front door motion sensor is triggered. It wakes my phone screen and goes directly to the camera. That works really well. I created the same task on my tablet. It works fine, but it seems to be delayed on the tablet. Having phone and tablet next to each other, triggering the motion sensor, the tablet needs a lot longer before it wakes up, it can be minutes. Any idea why that could be ?
And thanks very much for your help, much appreciated

I deleted the app data, I reregistered the app with Vera, but it is stuck on updating devices from Vera… uninstalling and reinstalling might screw up my tasks ?

When refreshing, try refreshing Your Veras first, then refresh your devices.

If it is hanging on registration, it’s likely not communicating at all so I would double check your username and password.

You can safely uninstall and reinstall without threatening your Tasks.

As for your tablet and its slow wake, is this consistently slow? Or is it just slow in its first wake after a while?

GCM messages, like those pushed from AutoVera, should have no problem waking your Android devices. In your Android Settings>WiFi>Advanced, you should see a setting to keep WiFi on during sleep, make sure this is enabled. There are a couple more things to try, in case you still have trouble. So let me know how it goes.

Thanks.

I tried refreshing Veras first, still problems. I uninstalled autovera, reinstalled, it crashed on opening after install (crash report sent). I opened it after the crash, discovered my Vera, again crashed on discovering devices… not sure what to do now
The tablet I will check tomorrow night, as I am not in tonight and the tablet is at home

I imported the devices from a backup and they seem to be working for the moment. One thing not working is the virtual switch I created, that profile is not being triggered when I toggle the virtual switch. Maybe I have set something wrong on in tasker. I have:

Vera: Vera 3 (my vera)
Device: my virtual switch
Service: V Switch
New Value: 0 I also tried Off

The tasks to toggle the status updates in autovera work fine if I trigger them manually in tasker

I seem to have a general problem with virtual switches. The virtual switch selected in android device monitor does not update the vera device, nor does it turn the virtual swich back to off as it is supposed to do.

Maybe these problems are all linked ?

There is certainly something fishy going on, at least relative to your app crashing. I’m checking in to it now.

Your Virtual Switch Status Update needs to modified slightly.

Vera: Your Vera
Device: Virtual Switch
Service: Power Switch
Variable: Status
New Value:

You can always check the logs to see what info is being sent and received. In this case, you would benefit by looking at the logs in AutoVera to see what come across when that Virtual Switch is toggled, and then adjust your Status Update to match. This is how you’ll handle adding plugins and devices that don’t work like Z-Wave devices. Because there are so many different devices and plugins that AutoVera can interface with, there is a bit of trial and error involved.

Now I can see why that is not working. When I select virtual switch, as a service in only have virtual switch, there is no other option. Variable is then blank.

Any idea as to why I do not have the option to select power switch in services ? I have tried setting it in advanced but that did not work either

Which Service options do you have for Virtual Switches? You should see, V Switch, Power Switch, and Common Device. If you don’t see those Services, try refreshing your Devices within AutoVera and check again. I’ve attached a screenshot showing what you should see.

I only have vswitch. I will try to refresh my devices when I am on the home network, I hope it won’t crash again

You should have no problem refreshing remotely, if you want to try it. It may take a few seconds longer on a different network, but there is no reason it shouldn’t work.

Make sure you are on the latest virtual switch version. Chixxi added the power switch service within the last 6 months.

• Garrett

[quote=“dkc, post:8, topic:181922”]As for your tablet and its slow wake, is this consistently slow? Or is it just slow in its first wake after a while?

GCM messages, like those pushed from AutoVera, should have no problem waking your Android devices. In your Android Settings>WiFi>Advanced, you should see a setting to keep WiFi on during sleep, make sure this is enabled. There are a couple more things to try, in case you still have trouble. So let me know how it goes.

Thanks.[/quote]

I just checked my tablet, and my wifi is on during sleep, so that is not causing the delay in waking up or reacting to the autovera action. You said you have a couple more things to try…

Indeed. The first thing to try would be a free app called Push Notification Fixer: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.andqlimax.pushfixer.noroot&hl=en

There is also a version for rooted devices: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.andqlimax.pushfixer&hl=en

It adjusts the “heartbeat” of the comms between GCM and your Android device, preventing the connection from timing out. Your router may responsible for dropping the “stream”, and this app should fix it, if that is in fact the problem.

If your tablet does not respond, or responds slowly to a push message, but then is able to keep up with subsequent pushes, this should be a solid solution to your issue. If the pushes are always slow, this probably won’t help.

Report back with your findings, when you get a chance, thanks!

Installed the push notification fixer, but unfortunately that did not fix the problem.

Next I updated my autovera devices on my phone, and the virtual switch still only has vswitch as a service. I was on Virtual switch 1.32, just did a manual update of the plugin, i am now on 1.34, but still only shows vswitch as a service.
I just tried another of my virtual switches, and on that one i have power as a service. Deleting the old one now and reinstalling the virtual switch. Hope that solves this problem.

Thanks for the quick response.

Did you see Garrett’s note about updating the Virtual Switch plugin itself? He is probably correct, be sure to refresh devices after updating the plugin.

As for the PNF, I suppose then that all Status Updates sent to that device are slow? Not just the first after an amount of time has passed? If enabled, try disabling System Logs within the AutoVera app. That may speed things up slightly. Just so I have all of the info, what actions are included in the Task that runs with the Status Update? Would you mind listing them in order?