Bedroom occupancy ideas?

It pretty much comes down to finding the ‘trigger’ that is most natural for that situation/ scenario. For example the opening of curtains, can be time based (like an alarm) but then add a condition - e.g only true if door is closed, or you can have a much more direct trigger, like turning something on or off , or opening something like a door/draw/window etc.

It can be hard to find something that will meet every situation/scenario.

Determining occupancy for example is hard because in certain rooms we may not do very much at all e.g sleep, watch tv etc. So in those cases you are looking for multiple triggers to confirm if someone is still there or not. (All the time knowing that it’s likely never going to be perfect :-))

If you have a particular routine, one that you rigorously stick to, then that’s an ideal place to start and map out…

I’ve got a netatmo security camera in the hallway. It has facial recognition and IFFFT integration, so I know when I enter the hallway. If that happens between 6am and 2am, you could guess I’m out of the bedroom for the day?

Martin

1 Like

Before we start solving this, we have to figure out the methods of “identification” for your trigger. In this case the trigger is “You”.

3 ways of “identifying” “You”:

1-what you are (your face etc…facial recognition, your heat signature etc.)
2-what you have (beacon, your phone etc)
3-what you do (step on a mat, flick a switch etc, speak/voice etc.)

I believe you have to first decide which one of these, or combination of them, you want to use and if the “detection ratio” of the “method(s)” you have chosen is acceptable and practical or not.

1 Like

Hi @melih
you seem to have already studied this idea, is it possible to use the accelerometer of the smartphone with the app for example? Or a simple sensor under the carpet at the foot of the bed that only triggers once in a scenario and resets at a certain time. Can the Vera app use smartphone sensors? Can it triangulate between the adsl router, the EzloPlus (or Vera) and the smartphone? All three are equipped with WiFi antennas and the power is available on the smartphone and the Ezlo box

We have some ideas for “Triangulation” using “What you have”.
We have the guys working on writing the code as we speak.

2 Likes

I like it and it’s good news

1 Like