Belkin WeMo plugin

That’s great news. See how long the connection stays up; my experience has been that after a day or two instant status updates stop working. A Luup restart will make it good again, for a while.

How I fix this might be influenced by the experiences others report back, so let me know how you go.

Things to try out: turn a switch on/off via the iOS app, and see if the change is reported in the Vera dashboard. And vice versa.

Meanwhile I’ve uploaded version 5 to code.mios.com, which should report the reason for the crash so that I can work around it. But for the moment I’m much more interested in your experience with the stability of the connection. LH, same applies to you.

Ok, this is frustrating.

Under the Belkin WeMo configure tab, I UN checked “Enable scan for WeMo devices on LAN” but the option to manually add a WeMo is not there. Nothing shows up. Just a line that says “UPnP Proxy running (API version 3)”

Edit: I uploaded the 5 newest files from here / – Belkin WeMo

And now when I go to the Configure tab, I get:

Opening configuration…

And it just sits there.

LH, that indicates a JavaScript error. Hunt through your browser’s console log for a message that coincides with the moment you open the tab. Ignore the copious chaff from normal Vera operation.

I develop on Firefox. Other browsers should work but are untested.

I’m sorry this is frustrating for you. It’s equally frustrating for me. You and Pete are the only two users I know who’ve even tried the plugin, and I value your feedback immensely.

LH try unplugging the Vera unit from the power and the plug it back, it was happening same to me, and it seams that a simply reload does not load the new code.

I have rebooted the device (pulled the plug per petequintanilla’s suggestion) and downloaded the latest version of Firefox.

I am on a Mac (Mt. Lion) and tried it in Chrome, Safari and FF…all do exactly the same thing.

It just sits at “Opening configuration…” on that tab.

:frowning:

Edit: I fired up my Windows 7 VM and tested in IE10 and FF on the Windows side. Same thing.

LH, in order to proceed, I need that JavaScript console message. I don’t get the error you get (and nor does petequintanilla) so it has to come from you.

On Firefox, visit Tools > Web Developer > Web Console. You’ll get a continuous stream of messages from Vera’s web interface polling Vera (attached). Ignore those. Then go to the tab that hangs. There will be an error message. I need that.

Edit: the other thing that can cause what you see is that you corrupted the JavaScript file while transferring it to the Vera. I hate to accuse you of such a rookie mistake, but can you prove that you transferred the file to Vera successfully? Find the file in Apps > Develop Apps > Luup Files, and then View Source on the file. Does it look like proper JavaScript?

The JS looks normal (to my untrained eyes)

But, the FF console indicated otherwise.

See attached.

Yep, you’re right, the file is corrupted. Line 1 is a comment so it is unlikely to be a syntax error.

I’d suggest transferring again, making sure that you don’t accidentally convert it to UTF-16 or prepend line numbers or save it as RTF.

I tried downloading the files again in Windows and on my Mac.

Did a restart (pull the plug) on my VereLite each time.

Same thing…nothing ever loads on the Configure tab.

I have no idea what to do next.

Could it be conflicting with one (or more) of my other apps?

I have the Phillips Hue app installed, as well as Weather Underground in addition to the UpnP Proxy.

It’s very unlikely that other plugins are affecting this one. My eyes would be on your transferring technique. Somehow the file on Vera isn’t the file it should be. How, exactly, are you transferring the file? Be detailed, be explicit, be precise.

Edit: don’t power down your Vera. It’s just going to break something. Pressing Reload at top right, and then clearing your browser cache, is enough.

At this point, I’ll wait for v4 to be released since clearly it’s an issue with my procedure.

Great work futzle! I’ve been waiting for a wemo app to show up here before purchasing a unit, as soon as yours did I purchased a motion and power switch. I’m pretty happy with the Wemo setup. One question, I’ve been able to access my demo devices using Mios, and they reflect the state when used from the iPhone app, however I’m unable to turn the power switch on/off using Mios. Am I missing something?

AJ, you might have discovered a bug. The buttons are (obviously) supposed to work. Can you please catch a Luup log that encompasses the few seconds during which you try to set the state? I bet there’s an error message. First set Debug to 2 in the Advanced tab, and then Save.

Any reflections on the discovery process? It’s obviously a bit flaky, so I’d like to know how well it did or didn’t work.

futzle,

Wanted to let you know that v4 installed just fine and I was able to manually add the IP for my Belkin switch and I can now control the switch.

Soo…in summary, I messed something up during our back and forth over the weekend. Total user error.

LH

Thanks for providing closure, LH. Now, on to the testing. Let me know how often you have to restart the Luup engine to keep connectivity. For me, it’s once every couple of days. Extending that will be the focus of the next few versions.

Hi futzle, thanks for the feedback. I followed LH’s lead and installed V4 and now everything seems to be working fine now. If you need anything tested let me know. I’m really happy being able to have a Wemo on my Z-wave so thanks again for writing this plugin.

Sooooo.

All was working great w/ the WeMo plugin, but tonight I got a “Startup Lua Failed” error again. I added a couple of IP cameras, but that was the only change I made to the system.

I will uninstall and re-install. Not sure what happened :frowning:

LH, no, don’t uninstall. It probably won’t make any difference anyway. If you can catch the error message from the Luup log then I can prevent the error from happening.

IP cameras tend to have UPnP servers inside them. If one of them is producing a discovery response I’m not expecting, that could explain the coincidence.

Ahh…ok.

I tried to uncheck the “Enable scan for WeMo devices on LAN” option, and it’s checked and greyed out…meaning I can’t uncheck it.

I’ll try to capture the error message…how do I do that again? :slight_smile:

LH, that option is greyed out because you have added a WeMo device as “Dynamic”. You’ve effectively locked in UPnP discovery to get your WeMo devices so you can’t turn it off of you’d lose them.

As for getting the Luup log, you can do it the traditional way and SSH to your Vera and catch the /var/log/cmh/LuaUPnP.log file, or you can use the newfangled Log Viewer plugin. This question gets asked A Lot so you’ll have to forgive my impulse to tell you to search the forum.