Best multi-button wireless remote

I’ve been wondering. By now, with as much personal experience we have all had with the many devices that work with Vera. What would be the best wireless remote control (device, not app) for Vera?

A long time ago, I started with GM’s bulky remote. It was a nightmare. It almost never work as it never kept a connection. I then eventually moved on to use an Aeon Labs Mini Remote (white, with 4 round buttons). It’s been ok over the last few years or more. However, I still find that half the time I pick it up, I get a red light because it isn’t connected (or Vera isn’t responding to initial the scene).

So, what IS the best wireless remote? The most reliable. Stays connected. Works most or all of the time whenever you randomly pick it up to hit buttons. Preferably rechargeable but exceptions can be made in exchange for reliability.

Don’t know about the best. We have used the Aeotec Minimotes for years.

But I’d love to know if these cheap Z-Wave remotes work with Vera?

I have no idea who the manufacturer is either.

Aeotec have newer remotes which I have used.

Nanomote
https://aeotec.com/small-z-wave-remote-control/

Wallmote
https://aeotec.com/z-wave-wireless-switch/

ZRC-90. I have five of these and they work reliable

This. I have two and they are rock solid

Zwave.me keyfobs are OK, but an utter pig to pair.

C

I like to tinker, so i built my own multi button remote
The below keyboard number pad for £5 can -
turn on/off any light or device
Open browser on any set website
Open any App
Start any scene
Take a screenshot
Start/stop wifi, bluetooth
Open doors
turn on/off siren
Set house modes
Rebot the Android device
Send http requests
View CCTV
All commands can have Alexa voice responses also.

I have one in master bedroom and one in lounge.

Its not the best looking, but it has more functions. It all runs of my android boxes and is configured by a Sqlite database, and can have 180+ functions(don’t use that many as hard to remember 180)

2 Likes

So how does it work? Wireless? BT to a Pi or similar?

C

Wireless 2.4GHZ to android, I then made my own Automate flows that intercepts the key codes and presses. Then connects to database and retreives the commands. It then connects to vera, node_red and the android system. I can issue commands via button, voice or incoming webhooks.

Cheap android box cost less than £30

edit/ I can string commands together and add delays to individual commands, so can turn on light delay x seconds and turn off with 1 key sequence.

1 Like

Neat.

How’s the WAF?

C

It functions flawlessly. The WAF is no issue as all devices work of local switches, so even when Vera, Alexa or internet throw a wobbly the WAF is never lowered.

I have been using for 3 years:
a Remotec ZRC-90 remote control to control the 4 curtains of my pergola and the lighting. 8 buttons and 4 possibilities per button.
The batteries last about 2 years.

a Hank HKZW-SCN04 remote control which is rechargeable

2 Likes

Just wish I could get the ZRC-90 to report battery life effectively

C

1 Like

Am I the only one using the NoDon SoftRemote [broken link removed] (Z-Wave)?

I’d argue it has about the highest WAF of all remotes – you guys, it’s so cute – plus several advantages over some others I’ve tried or researched:

1. WAY better battery life and range than the Aeon Labs MiniMote;
  2. Virtually zero noise when clicked;
  3. Comes in various colors, unlike the ZRC’s;
  4. Has an active LED (can be disabled) when pressed;
  5. Magnet on back allows easy placement on/near bed frame, etc.;
  6. Accepts button batteries, so quick to change out (no charging!);
  7. Offers full range of 1-tap, 2-tap, Hold and Release triggering!

My only (possible) gripe is that I may have to “debounce” its behavior with Reactor (forgot to tell @rigpapa about this…). For example, a quick press of the “Dot” (filled circle) button is supposed to execute a Reactor routine that toggles a light on/off. Very often, that single tap results in the light going on and then immediately off, signaling that the routine is running twice. I’ll probably solve this by adding a “Hold true 2 seconds” restriction to my Reactor condition.

1 Like

Some really good ideas. Really digging the Android option, but it’s a little much as I really only need 4 scenes to be triggered. That being said, there seems to be a lot of love for the ZRC-90. It is more control than what I need it for any given situation (until the day that I find an affordable way of automating the faux wood blinds around here).

Then again, I do have a spare mini PC box (Azulle Byte Plus) that isn’t really useful for much. I tried turning it into a Folding@Home box, but it was useless for that. Useless for much anything, except a DNS server (which I already have set up with a better box), or…something like this. But then, I’d have to have it running 24/7 just so that I can have a remote option. It seems like a bit much for 4 simple commands :slight_smile: …oh decisions.

It would be nice if there was a Linux app designed just for this. To take hotkeys from a keyboard and convey them with Vera. Let it be by code or via a plugin. Another reason that it would be useful to finally have IFTTT support within Vera.

1 Like