Best Way of switching 230v/3000W+

I have a 230v 3000w hot water heater installed and Id really like to put it on a scene so I can turn it on during off peak hours and save some $.

Anyone have any experience/recommendations with any 863.42Mhz high power switches (would really need to be a relay)

There is Philio which allows up to 3Kw and TKB Home (I don’t know if they do these switches in your freqency) There was also Fibaro with that limit, but it is the old unit - you can still try to get some from the second hand or stock longstayers.

From my experience with such heaters, they can draw a little more than the nominal value (I have a 2000W heater which reaches up to 2200W according to the metering from z-wave relay) so I would recommend to find something which is up to 3,5kW minimum.
There were some plugs reaching that limit, i.e. produced by Duewi and TKB Home. Also don’t know if they are available in your frequency.

You can also use Belkin WeMo (WiFi) for that purpose, they go up to 3,6kW and integrate with Vera. WiFi has same frequency everywhere, so the only matter is plug type (you can use adaptor in worst case).

Edit: if you meant 868,42 (Europe), then all from the switches/plugs listed above are available on the market

You can also have a regular Z-Wave switch to control a contactor (relay) that you can purchase to meet your needs.
In this case you just get a contactor that has a coil voltage of your nominal power (i.e. 110V in the US)
You can get contactors that can control 100’s of amps.

Here is what I am using:

I am also using the Aeon Labs switch and am very happy with it.

This device can handle your wattage requirements.

The Philio PAN05 (BlackCat ZWBCL1) would be well matched for your requirement.
It has 2 seperate overload protections and correctly sized wiring rather than undersized terminals. It has been designed as a appliance module with a 13A capacity and amply fulfills the requirement.
If you need a greater amperage, then the dry contacts are easily used in conjunction with a separate dedicated rely.
The PAN05 is available in your frequency, also you might consider the PAN04 with energy reporting (might be handy in your application).

I just purchased this Smart Switch ZW078 and included that in the Vera Plus. It shows up as a binary light. Is there a way to change the icon to a more appropriate one?

http://wiki.mios.com/index.php/Luup_Device_Categories

3 / 8 perhaps?

C

Thanks. That is cool and easy to do. learned something new today.

1 Like