Best way to automate house mode with a mix of Android / iPhones?

Hello everyone,

I have two iPhones and one Android (galaxy S5) in my family, and I’m wondering what options do I have to automate the House Mode in Vera (Home/Away). iPhone Locator works perfectly for the iPhones, and I just installed VeraProximity into my Android, and it looks ok too.

Now my questions are:

• That setting “Participates in house mode” works only between iDevices right? My guess is that my Android will be ignored.
  • Maybe I should use PLEG to check each iPhone + Android, and switch house mode accordingly?
  • Or perhaps a scene with lua code running on every minute?
  • … Any other technique you guys could suggest?

Thanks for any advice!

[quote=“rvendrame, post:1, topic:190903”]Hello everyone,

I have two iPhones and one Android (galaxy S5) in my family, and I’m wondering what options do I have to automate the House Mode in Vera (Home/Away). iPhone Locator works perfectly for the iPhones, and I just installed VeraProximity into my Android, and it looks ok too.

Now my questions are:

• That setting “Participates in house mode” works only between iDevices right? My guess is that my Android will be ignored.
  • Maybe I should use PLEG to check each iPhone + Android, and switch house mode accordingly?
  • Or perhaps a scene with lua code running on every minute?
  • … Any other technique you guys could suggest?

Thanks for any advice![/quote]

House Modes only works with one device.

I use “Multiswitch” plugin with a button labeled for each person. I then have each device flip that multiswitch button. You can use PLEG for your logic of what happen. You can create conditions like “AllHome” “SomoneHome” “AllAway” or what ever you need to make automation happen only for whos home and whos not.

I acutally use more then one device to trip home and away to be more accurate. So witht he multiswitch I have more then one button then a MASTER. Exmaple: WifeGeofence, WifePingSensor, WifeMaster
I can use PLEG to say when Both the Geofence button and the Ping senor plugin for the wife are on then shes home, turn on the Wife master home switch. I actually use Ping, VeraProximity and BlueIris Geofence for my 3 inputs on an andriod phone. When 2 of the 3 say I’m Home or away I have it trip the master.

Different notifications come or stop for each of us depending on whos home and whos not.

When it’s dark and someone arrives home (doesn’t matter if someone else is already home or not) the front porch light turns on and the door unlocks. When One person leaves the doors lock behind them, when everyone leaves the lights and tvs shut off, alarm is set and doors are locked.

HomeMode you run out of options after your logic gets past the basic turn off devices and set alarm when everyone leaves only.

With PLEG and switches for each person you can tailor yourself with alot more options.

integlikewhoa, thanks! In principle the simple home/away from vera works for me — As I just need to arm/disarm a couple of motion sensors, as well as switch off some lights when everybody is away.
Your implementation is more sophisticated and powerful … perhaps it will be my “phase 2” :wink:
Thanks a lot!

[quote=“rvendrame, post:3, topic:190903”]integlikewhoa, thanks! In principle the simple home/away from vera works for me — As I just need to arm/disarm a couple of motion sensors, as well as switch off some lights when everybody is away.
Your implementation is more sophisticated and powerful … perhaps it will be my “phase 2” :wink:
Thanks a lot![/quote]

You can gather the pieces from above that need for now and if you choose in the future to go further the line has been set.

I don;t use house modes, but I haven;t hear that it doesn’t work on Android. So I don’t see you having a problem there.

You can use PLEG to switch home modes based on what ever your needs are. (if you using iphone locator, ping sensor, Vera Proximity…) so you can still have home modes and use pleg to give it a bit more control without going to deep.

Hope that helps.