Blinking lights using Reactor

I am working on a blinking light control in Reactor.

I set up a binary switch (called panic_switch) using Switchboard. No reset timer.
I set up a Reactor device/sensor with only a top level group with a condition of true when the binary switch is true or on. And set it to pulse instead of follow.

Device State: Panic_Switch (#79) Status equals “1”; pulse for 2 secs, repeat after 2 secs

I have Activities set up to run an ON scene when condition is true, and an OFF scene when condition is false.
It looks like it works and was simple to program and understand - Thanks @rigpapa .
I ran into the “Throttled…” warning. So I set MaxChangeRate to 31 per this thread. Retested with no warning.
I have not run into ‘high update rate’ warning, which sounds right if that warning is set to 30 per second.
Question: is this really 30/second when the other warning default is 5/minute? They seem far away from each other, and I am just checking.

1 Like

The “high update rate” limit makes Reactor throttle when a device or devices is/are updating/changing states at a high frequency. This is meant to trap devices that are flapping or a circular logic condition (e.g. if light is on, turn it off, if light is off, turn it on, without other conditions to gate it).

The “high change rate” refers to the tripped/untripped state of the ReactorSensor itself, and carries much less relevance these days as the evolution of Reactor has moved it away from being a sensor that triggers scenes or other devices to a tool that decides and takes action internally within itself. The default change rate of 5 per minute was intended to keep a ReactorSensor that was otherwise flapping, in the absence of a “high update rate” from device stimulus, from doing things like running a scene more than 5 times per minute, etc. It’s a “bigger picture” (or “50,000 foot view”) control. But again, it’s legacy stuff, and stays in to support people that still have ReactorSensors operating the “old” way.

Kudos for making the minimum parameter adjustment necessary to achieve your goal. That’s a good conservative strategy.

1 Like