Boxee Box

Hey guys,

Anyone been following the Boxee Box since CES?

Well, one of the higher-ups of the company id on gdgt taking questions for users.

I asked if there would be any interest in Boxee supporting a MiOS plugin for control of Vera from the TV. If you intrested too, go here: http://discuss.gdgt.com/d-link/boxee/box/general/I-m-taking-questions-about-Boxee-and-the-Boxee-Box/ and ask him about it too!

He will be taking questions till 1200am tonight.

Thanks!

0 Likes

Well, here was the response I got from the Boxee Guy:

"Hello Avneron, Thanks for taking the time to respond to users here on gdgt!

I was wondering if Boxee would be interested in a plugin for a relatively new linux + upnp based Home Automation controller?

I am just a user (IE not affiliated with the company) but would love to be able to control my z-wave devices (Thermostat, Door Lock, Lights, Window coverings, AV Gear, etc) from an easy to use TV menu.

Take a look @ www.micasaverde.com and tell me what you think!

Posted 18 minutes ago

By avneron
Comments: 62

sure. we would love to see such a plug-in.

are you a coder? if you are then let me know if you need any help with building it.

Posted 12 minutes ago

By Jacobly
Comments: 4

Unfortunately, no I am not a coder. Just a gadget nerd. We do have a few programmers on the community though.

What would be the best way to communicate with you if I can get someone to help me code the plugin?

Mi Casa Verde just released a new Flash based GUI, but the limitations of the 5W Asus Router has made the interface pretty slow. It would be awesome if we could use the Boxee Box’s Tegra2 horsepower for the Flash front end and talk to the router’s backend for control!

Thanks again for the replies! "

I would love to see a on TV GUI to control Vera. Anyone else?

0 Likes

Flash is a client-side technology. The only work for the server (the Vera box in this case) is serving a binary package to the client. After that’s loaded in the browser, it runs in the client’s processor, subject to the client’s performance limitations and not by the server.

I too found the flash based UI slow; but it’s getting better on each subsequent build. Also, as nice as the Tegra chips are, I don’t think they can beat a reasonably modern x86 chip with any not-too-ancient ATI/Nvidia card.

0 Likes

As I said before, I’m not a dev. I work on front ends of health care IT suites. You would know more than me… That’s for sure.

Do you think Boxee is an interesting application of MiOS though?!? It love to see the controller software on a TV…

0 Likes

Does anyone know the status of boxee with vera? Do they work well together? Do they work together at all?

0 Likes

So there are two directions to go with Boxee. Having Vera control Boxee and have Boxee control Vera.

For Vera to control Boxee, I have a plugin mostly written that gives Vera control of Boxee through its web interface. This works in a similar way to the DirecTV plugin. I should release this in the next week or so.

For Boxee to control Vera, there needs to be a Boxee app written. This would need to be written PHP and submitted through their process. I know of no one else working on this and I can’t find any Boxee repos with this work being done. I looked into doing this, but I am not familiar with PHP and it would take time that I don’t really have. That might change, especially if enough people ask for it. Finally, I want to wait until UI5 is done since that could have an effect on such a plugin.

0 Likes

[quote=“dfad1469, post:6, topic:165575”]So there are two directions to go with Boxee. Having Vera control Boxee and have Boxee control Vera.

For Vera to control Boxee, I have a plugin mostly written that gives Vera control of Boxee through its web interface. This works in a similar way to the DirecTV plugin. I should release this in the next week or so.

Hello,

I was wondering if you could share your plugin for vera to control Boxee? Thanks,
James[/quote]

0 Likes