Build Request: Standalone Application for PC / Mac

Reflecting over the request to be able to copy and paste controls, I imagined how easy it would be to be able to modify configurations from a desktop / laptop computer and load the config on an iOS device from dropbox. It occurred to me that, at that point, full functionality might as well be available.

This is a large request, but I think HomeWave is the most appropriate App out there for this and I would pay additional for the program.

The idea of a consistent, familiar control interface on all your devices and being able to edit, save, and load configurations across platforms would appeal to users more than just myself.

I might have some news about this in a few months.

Glad to hear! 8)

This would be awesome! I know it’s early for requests for an app that might not even get launched… But please allow app/script execution on event/trigger :smiley:

Shut up and take my money!! ;D

I would love this - I spend a lot of time fiddling with panel layouts (and everyone wants something different). It does get a little tedious on the phone.

BlueSmurf.

Homewave is the reason I have a Vera… This PC app would be the icing on the cake!

Possibilities are endless with homewave!

Any news on this? :slight_smile:

Yes. We’re in the process of translating HomeWave to Xamarin, a cross-platform environment that targets iOS, Android and potentially Windows phone, desktop or OSX as well. There’s still a long way to go though!

As a Windows Phone user I would be all over this! Can’t wait for more news :slight_smile:

Have been wishing for this for so long.

Apart from the ease of creating screens, it would be awesome to have a small app (or user definable screen size) in the corner of my monitor to quickly unlock the front door, change the temp on the heater, etc without having to pull my phone out, unlock, open app, select the appropriate screen …

At the moment I leave the vera ui open in my browser, but we all know how fun that is.

Keep up the great work! and Thanks again for keeping my Home Automation ‘usable’ and not just a bunch of expensive gimicks in the wall.

If your computer is on the same local network as your Vera you can control her from your PC with simple HTTP commands via eg the wget command or if your familiar with Powershell 3.0 you could use Invoke-WebRequest in a script.

Simplest way would be to create icons on your desktop (or in a Vera folder on it) for all commands you create. Execute them by double clicking the icon.

Although I have a programming background and did a lot of it on ye olde Commodore Amiga I retired from that a while back when that platform died. There may be tools for Windows to make simple a GUI interface to interact with the above backend scripts.

On that note, GetVera released a Windows 10 app which may work on a Windows 10 PC. I’m making the most of my Windows 7 box for another 27 days until I have to ‘assimilate’. :slight_smile:

[quote=“BOFH, post:11, topic:190318”]If your computer is on the same local network as your Vera you can control her from your PC with simple HTTP commands via eg the wget command or if your familiar with Powershell 3.0 you could use Invoke-WebRequest in a script.

Simplest way would be to create icons on your desktop (or in a Vera folder on it) for all commands you create. Execute them by double clicking the icon.

Although I have a programming background and did a lot of it on ye olde Commodore Amiga I retired from that a while back when that platform died. There may be tools for Windows to make simple a GUI interface to interact with the above backend scripts.

On that note, GetVera released a Windows 10 app which may work on a Windows 10 PC. I’m making the most of my Windows 7 box for another 27 days until I have to ‘assimilate’. :)[/quote]

This works, yeah. I use a taskbar folder so I have access from any window.

I installed the Vera app from the Windows store, but it has the same limitations as any Vera interface (clunky in my opinion and not able to be customized).
Vera makes iOS and Android apps, too, but we’re here because we use HomeWave.

The Vera Windows app is, though, exactly how I picture the conversion of HomeWave to a desktop solution.

The customization HomeWave offers in addition to the seamless transition from mobile to desktop is why I think a HomeWave desktop solution would be worthwhile.

I’m imagining:

[ul][li]Having a similar look and feel when controlling my Vera, whether on my PC or iPhone.[/li]
[li]The ability to edit my configuration on my desktop (with mouse, keyboard, photo tools, etc).[/li][/ul]

Any Closer to a HomeWave Beta for OSX or Windows? :slight_smile:

Still busy with the Android version… it’s a lot of work. And Android hates me

Are you developing for all Android versions or just for version 4.1 and up?

Not sure yet what the minimum version will be, it depends on Xamarin as well.

In all honesty, a lot of newer apps are 4.1 and up only as older Android versions lack some of the refinements needed for apps. You may want to follow that trend as I think it’ll make your development easier.

I’m assuming the Android app would be another license. I have no issue with that as this is the best app I’ve paid for on either platform.

Probably 4.1, that’s my current minimum build target.

Yeah, you’ll have to buy the app for Android again, I’ve no way to carry over licenses from iOS to Android. Given the amount of cash and time this project has sucked up thus far, I’ll need that income :wink: I’ve learned a lot though… for example that developing for Android is quite a bit harder in some ways, even when using a platform like Xamarin. Memory management, threading and performance are pretty much non-issues on iPhones, on Android these things often need careful attention.

man i would love to see the desktop app, keep checking this every few weeks but nothing for months!!!