Can A Vera that is linked to Alexa See/Control Alexa Specific Devices

I’m curious and can’t seem to find the topic regarding this.

I have an Echo Dot (Amazon Alexa) linked to my Vera Plus. Alexa has no problem seeing and controlling the Zwave devices that are registered on my Vera Controller.

I was wondering if you Vera can control devices that are added to Alexa (only) and are specific to Alexa – for instance, an Amazon Smart Plug (i.e. [url=https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Smart-Plug-works-Alexa/dp/B01MZEEFNX/ref=asc_df_B01MZEEFNX/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=242027088707&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=134923772884600652&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9009993&hvtargid=pla-528417624638&psc=1]Amazon.com)

As you are aware, Alexa devices run on a 2.4Ghz wi-fi network.

I think the answer will be that Vera can’t see/control Alexa devices, but wanted to confirm that.

Thanks.

It says on the Amazon listing that Alexa CAN control it. In the listing, it even said " Control this with your device: ERIC’s 2nd Echo Dot +1 more"

Thank you for your reply. However, I’m not quite sure I understand your answer. I am probably not explaining myself very well.

The question I am asking is, if you add a device ONLY on Alexa, and you have the Vera Skill installed and configured, can Vera itself access and control the Alexa device. For example, I add a Smart Plug to be managed by an Echo Dot via Alexa. If I go to the Vera UI7, can I see it and/or control it and/or use it in a Vera Scene?

Thanks again.

[quote=“miragejb, post:3, topic:200179”]Thank you for your reply. However, I’m not quite sure I understand your answer. I am probably not explaining myself very well.

The question I am asking is, if you add a device ONLY on Alexa, and you have the Vera Skill installed and configured, can Vera itself access and control the Alexa device. For example, I add a Smart Plug to be managed by an Echo Dot via Alexa. If I go to the Vera UI7, can I see it and/or control it and/or use it in a Vera Scene?

Thanks again.[/quote]

Vera can only control devices from Vera.

Thank you. That’s what I thought, but just wanted to make sure. :slight_smile:

I also wish to control Alexa devices from Vera… Alexa switch £10… z-wave switch £30… All that is needed here is the will!

Nope…because the Alexa device is not quite designed to be a controller. It is voice control device which sends commands to a controller. Most of the “Alexa devices” have their controllers in the cloud. Technically there is no such thing as an Alexa device. Alexa just is a switch for other controllers through skills. Though this may change over time for the echo plus, as of today, the Alexa device does not offer an api through which it can be controlled. Same applies to GH by the way.

I trigger routines in Alexa thru my Vera, using the notorious hack (search for alexa control sh on Google). It works ok, but it’s still very hacky and requires a Linux box (such as a Raspberry pi) to run it.