Cannot write user data - system error

Hello All,

this is the 4th time i am having this problem, suddenly i can’t save anything, and i can’t modify any scene. even I can’t enable remote login for the support to check, all happens when i start getting the message (Cannot write user data -system error), in the previous few times the cause was the Energy plugin, and the solution was to ssh to the device and delete its related files, however this time i don’t have it.
i don’t have a lot of devices, and i installed 5 plugins only.

i opened the luup file list and it was huge, but i don’t know which files are needed and which ones i can delete (if that is the problem), can you help me please, here are the print screens for the luup file names:

many thanks for your help,

Delete any unwanted plugins
ensure logging is to a USB or disabled
Log a call and they clear unwanted cache

Or you have too much on the one box and need another to loadbalance across?

I had this error and it was a plugin which wasnt configured correctly and was building log files which filled up the system disk

I can’t ask for help cause i can’t enable remote login because of this error.
how to delete the logs, any idea?

Shady

If you are on your Vera, they can still remote on. They were able to do it with me.

Call them

You will need a SSH app on a computer that can login to Vera.
Search for SSH in the forum for options and how to use it.

I have the SSH application on a connected computer, the problem is i don’t know what to delete :slight_smile:

I sent an email to the support but didn’t get a reply yet. I hope they can help… it is really strange how small the device space is or i might be doing something wrong…

Great …
try:

cd /etc/cmh-firmware/
rm mios.squashfs

This will remove the last downloaded Vera Firmware installer. It typically sits there to reserve space the next firmware download. But since you are stuck this is the easiest way to get space.
Then you can enable remote access and call MCV support and ask them to see what is wrong.
Let them know what you deleted.

You still need customer support … because you will not have enough space to do another Firmware update.

Hi there,

In such situations, I greatly recommend you, to get in touch with the support team, rather than applying temporary and possible destructive fixes.

There are two reasons why this error occurs. 1) unit might have some bad sectors on the internal memory(if the unit is still covered by the warranty and bought from an authorized dealer will be replaced) 2) internal memory is full(this can be managed by customer care)

Thank you for your understanding.

[quote=“John M., post:8, topic:196438”]Hi there,

In such situations, I greatly recommend you, to get in touch with the support team, rather than applying temporary and possible destructive fixes.

There are two reasons why this error occurs. 1) unit might have some bad sectors on the internal memory(if the unit is still covered by the warranty and bought from an authorized dealer will be replaced) 2) internal memory is full(this can be managed by customer care)

Thank you for your understanding.[/quote]

I am sure John M recommended i call Vera support with the exact same issues. They resolved it without much trouble.

Cheers John M again!

I don’t want to delete something which might cause trouble later on, customer support sent me some commands (luup and http requests) to try to enable the remote access but that didn’t work too. the luup commands executed correctly but the http didn’t work, always giving a blank page without anything in it.

i guess this is a major bug in Vera, remote access should be there in any situation, maybe they should reserve space for it on the memory.

they asked me to forward port 22, but the issue is that i am in a different time zone (GMT +4) and by the time i do that they will reply the next day and so on…

i will try today when I am back home to forward the port and see if that will solve the problem.

[quote=“shady.hamilton, post:10, topic:196438”]I don’t want to delete something which might cause trouble later on, customer support sent me some commands (luup and http requests) to try to enable the remote access but that didn’t work too. the luup commands executed correctly but the http didn’t work, always giving a blank page without anything in it.

i guess this is a major bug in Vera, remote access should be there in any situation, maybe they should reserve space for it on the memory.

they asked me to forward port 22, but the issue is that i am in a different time zone (GMT +4) and by the time i do that they will reply the next day and so on…

i will try today when I am back home to forward the port and see if that will solve the problem.[/quote]

Its an easy fix. Get on the phone and call them. Many people have had this and its easily resolved.

I am trying but i am on a different time zone and it is not easy. when you say many people had this, what is the cause, and why its not fixed yet?

I think this boils down to plugins misbehaving, filling up on board storage. Not sure if logging to USB prevents this or not? I think the code below should fix the issue in short term, but long term solution would be to uninstall the culprit plugin. For me, that plugin was ERGY. Even after uninstall of culprit/unneeded plugins, run the code below to clean things up.

Apps > Develop Apps > Test Luup code (Lua) > Code

os.execute("rm -r /overlay/etc/cmh-zwfw/z*")
os.execute("rm -rf /overlay/etc/cmh/ergy_cache_paired_devices.conf")
os.execute("rm -r /overlay/etc/mios_backup.info.old")
os.execute("rm -r /overlay/etc/cmh-firmware/mios*")
os.execute("rm -r /overlay/etc/cmh/ergy*")
os.execute("rm -r /overlay/etc/cmh/alerts.json")
os.execute("rm -r /overlay/dataMine")
os.execute("rm -r /tmp/tokens/*")
os.execute("reboot")

Copy and paste the commands above in the indicated box. Your controller will restart and take a few minutes to fully come back.

Alternatively, you can create a manually triggered scene that exectues the LUA code.

It was happening on my Vera 3 even with a USB for logging, and a reboot would free up memory for about a week. It did not affect my system so I ignored it. For the last month or so, I upgraded to a Plus and I am not having the error at the moment.

space what firmware are you running