Complex Automation Support?

I have been using Smartthings for a short time and learning Groovy to perform more complex automation. It appears Vera has the smart app for iOS and Android, and that is the only interface.

Can you create complex automations with Vera?

For example, a door being left open:

1. Door open for more than 1 minute
  2. Flash two lights, one is a dimmer
  3. If the door stays open more than 2 minutes, flash all the lights in the house
  4. Upon the door closing, return all lights to their previous state

As far as I can tell, even the above, which is not that complex, requires Groovy or WebCORE on top of Smartthings. There has to be a better way / more mature product. Is Vera that product?

Also, can Vera speak back through Echo and Google devices (text to speech) without things like Google Home Relay, which I have never been able to get to work? Can it ask questions in this fashion, take responses, and do something?

Yes with third party plugins such as Reactor or PLEG. My recommendation is Reactor.

1 Like

u can write luup code or u can use reactor - i have luup code to tell me every 45 s that my door was left open but you can do this with reactor easily

1 Like

Can Vera with or without Reactor or PLEG speak through Google or Echo devices? For example, the back door is open 30 seconds, speak through Google or Echo “the back door is open”

I am French
View my site