Controller Down, Controller UP Notifications

From the first installation of my Vera Controller I have received random and occasionally frequent “Controller Down” and “Controller Up” messages. One would think that the Controller Down messages would be followed by Controller Up messages but that is not necessarily the case. Some messages stand alone and sometimes they are in the reverse order. I have opened several tickets over the 2 years I have owned a Vera and customer support never provides a good answer. The responses say “keep checking for new firmware”. There was a 4/25/19 email from CEO Mark Samuel about a firmware upgrade and somewhere (I can’t find it now but it may have been in the changes document when I upgraded the firmware in my unit) I read that the “Controller Down, Controller Up” messages were related to server switching and that the new firmware should have corrected it.

Does anyone else receive frequent (several daily for me) “Controller Down, Controller Up” messages?

Thanks,
Mike

This is not a firmware problem. It is a server side issue. The vera issues notification command every time the server changes. There is no way for the vera firmware to know when it gets disconnected if it is because the server side is changing server address or if the server is down. It should be up to the notification server to set a black out delay before issuing these notifications. At least that’s how I would do it. Even better would be to prevent these server changes from happening. I completely eliminated this problem by replacing the mios servers with openluup and disconnected my vera from the internet.

Thanks rafale77. What is involved in replacing the mios servers?

You might want to head towards the openluup section and read up a bit. It involves creating a server of your own. It can be very cheap with a rPi or if you already have a computer running 24/7 at home, it can work too. The outcome though is a much more secure, reliable and faster setup.

I thought this had been fixed in the last firmware (unlike the Geofencing). I’ve certainly not had anything for ages!

C

Thanks rafale77… I think this is too much for me to handle. Guess I’ll have to put up with the Controller Up, Controller Down messages…

Same here, last time I had a controller up/down message was way back in February and I’m not sure if it was my ISP or not.

Thanks,
Mike

I manage a number of systems and I have started updating the firmware. Some of them seem better but some are definitely still giving me these alerts. I agree that the real fix would be to set a blackout timer. I don’t need to know the instant the controller goes down, only if it’s been out for some amount of time

A blackout timer is a great idea… I’m going to give it some more time and see what happens. I will probably end up buying a non-Vera controller…

I get the same Controller Down/Controller Up notifications.
As noted in this and other posts, the Controller isn’t really down. You can still access the controller if you are on the same LAN. Unfortunately, I am generally offsite and can only access via the internet. Consequently, this is a major problem for me because: 1) happens frequently, and 2) it is frequently down for days at a time…
Very frustrating.

This seems a little confused. The Up / Down notifications are only saying that the controller cannot be reached from the Vera servers (rightly or wrongly)

Have you tested that your Vera / LAN is up when the notification is saying it’s down for days? This seems like a different report.

C

This happens so often and has been going on so long without resolution, that I stopped testing if the LAN was up everytime… However, when it first started happening, yes, I verified that the LAN was up and that I could connect to the Vera locally, but not across the internet (even when this had been going on for days). Sometimes this happens for short periods of time and sometimes, like I said, for days. I am now offsite, and while my Vera is currently down (day #5), I have no way to connect locally to check…
At one point when I reported this to Vera support, they checked the logs and told me that it was a “known issue” and that the next firmware upgrade would fix it. Interestingly I have another Vera Edge with the latest firmware installed, and I get the same problem with it, although that Vera Edge is new to me, and I have not documented more than a few hours of “downtime”…

Finally, I find the following situation “odd”:
When my most problematic Vera is down, like it is now, when I try to access it from the internet it says “Offline”. But if I click on the “Advanced” tab, it takes me to the “Advanced” page, and reports my firmware is out of date, and shows me the option to update the firmware. So if the controller is “Offline”, how does it know what firmware the controller has, and how can it show me an option to Update the firmware?

Jim

So if I read this right, you have no way to validate that your LAN is up? So it might actually be accurate in terms of reporting that your controller is un-reachable?

Have you tried to update the firmware? Bet it won’t work

Just a thought, really

C

Yes, you are correct. At this time, for this episode, i cannot confirm the LAN is up and connected to the internet. It is possible that this episode is different and related to a local LAN/internet problem. (I may have someone on site in a few days to check.)

Since i am not on-site, i am loathe to do a firmware upgrade remotely, but will do it as soon as I can. Although based on my other Vera Edge (which has current firmware and is still experiencing the same problem despite Vera saying that the latest firmware should fix the problem), i am skeptical this will help.

When i confirm Lan/internet, i will report back…

Jim

It certainly has slightly different symptoms from the known issue which is (was?) the rapid report of ‘online / offline’ status.

C

You may be right.
However Vera support was not treating it as a separate issue when they evaluated my problem of multi day outages With the final conclusion: “yea, known issue…”

I got a rash of Controller Up/Controller Down alerts on the 17th. It seams that this has been a problem for the last week or two but got a bunch of them (I monitor a number of systems) on the 17th.

Is there any news on this? Will the new firmware be making another step in stability and reduction of these messages? The false Controller Down/Controller Up alerts did get batter after the last firmware upgrade but it’s still an issue (along with the controller ACTUALLY being down).

I’ve not had one for ages:frowning:
C

This is still a serous issue. I am working with support. They took 3 of my controllers and said they changed the relay and that it would be much more reliable but things didn’t change. It takes at least a day to hear back when I contact them about it. Meanwhile I have dozens of these controller down/up issues. I don’t understand how this could still be such a significant problem after this much time and 2 firmware updates.