Controller offline? It's not!

Is anyone else having issues with home.getvera.com or the Android app today? I opened the app to check the state of something on my Vera Lite and it just said “Establishing connection…” and never connected. So I went to home.getvera.com to log in that way, and that tells me my controller is offline. I logged in to my pc at home via vnc and put in the local ip address and it pops up no problem. So I opened a port to it to test out and am able to connect to it that way as well. Under “Net & Wifi” in settings it says “Internet access is ok.” I verified with someone at home that all 3 lights are on and solid. This was working fine yesterday and there have been no network/firewall changes in quite some time. Anyone else having issues?

Me too, same problem

Thanks! Good to know it is not just me or my device. I guess I will open a support ticket and hope it gets fixed soon.

We are experiencing an issue with one of our relay servers .
The controllers that are using vera-us-oem-relay12 as the primary relay server are affected by this problem.
Our sysadmins are doing their best to address this problem in a timely manner.

You can always check the status of our services, by going to https://status.getvera.com/ .

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused by the service interruption.

This year I’ve got a lot of notifications about the controller being offline, except for the time when it actually were offline, then I did not get a notification.

And many times I get two notifications. the First one say offline and the second one that come about one second later say online.
I monitor my network and the problem must be on the Vera servers, not on my Vera or Internet connection.

The notifications for devices are equally useless and unreliable.

I’ve even stopped contacting support because they always tell me to enable verbose logging, and when I did that on my Vera Lite, it broke the flash card and got bricked, so that wont happen again.

[quote=“mcv.bogdanf, post:4, topic:196311”]We are experiencing an issue with one of our relay servers .
The controllers that are using vera-us-oem-relay12 as the primary relay server are affected by this problem.
Our sysadmins are doing their best to address this problem in a timely manner.

You can always check the status of our services, by going to https://status.getvera.com/ .

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused by the service interruption.[/quote]

FYI - you can sign up for e-mail alerts so you know if Vera is having server issues like this.

I am having same problem for the last 5 days. I am away from home so have no physical access to Vera. I have a scene which normally results in an e-mail message once a day. I am not receiving these e-mails since 5 days ago. When I try to remote access I am getting ‘Controller Off’ message. I have established that My router is working fine as I can remote access my CCTV cameras and the Heating Thermostats.

Also https://status.getvera.com/ showing no issues that relate to this issue.

Is there a resolution to this issue?

Sounds like you have a different problem then the rest in this thread. I would bet that the solution to your problem is this.

If it was just a server issue your vera should work locally. Which means you should be able to use the local IP when you are local (when you get back) to see if vera is working fine (which I suspect its not). If you have a VPN setup or a computer on the LAN that you can remote into then you can test this now while your away. Other thing you might be able to check on (but might not tell you much) is to see if the IP for your vera is online since you said you can access your router remotely.

My vera used to lock up all the time and I put a wifi outlet in and plugged it into that. So in this case i can remote reboot the vera.

[quote=“madhoo, post:7, topic:196311”]I am having same problem for the last 5 days. I am away from home so have no physical access to Vera. I have a scene which normally results in an e-mail message once a day. I am not receiving these e-mails since 5 days ago. When I try to remote access I am getting ‘Controller Off’ message. I have established that My router is working fine as I can remote access my CCTV cameras and the Heating Thermostats.

Also https://status.getvera.com/ showing no issues that relate to this issue.

Is there a resolution to this issue?[/quote]

My last experience like what you described was fixed by a reboot of Vera. Some folks configure their setup to reboot Vera on a regular schedule.

Before I go out of town for an extended period, I reboot Vera.

I also use Teamviewer to log into Vera from a computer within the network to bypass the MIOS servers.

Thanks for the advice Don. Next time I’ll reboot before I am going away. Also, perhaps reboot every few days whilst I am away. Hopefully that will minimise the chance of hitting this issue again.

On this occasion my VERA controller came back online on the 6th day by itself. I normally get one low light alert everyday which I have set up in a scene, so that I know that VERA is live and kicking. When It came back online I received all the low light alerts from previous days which it had buffered whilst offline.

Vera support are looking at this case #255346. I hope that they will fix for this soon.

Thanks for the advice integlikewhoa

My Vera Controller came back online on the 6th day. I don’t think VERA support did anything to my Controller as they didn’t have remote access to my controller at that time. However, they may have done something on their server which cleared the issue. I say this because the issue cleared around the same time that I was I having a conversation with them. I have now given them remote access and they have confirmed that they have not found any issues with my Controller. They are still looking into this though.

I will also keep in mind your suggestions.

I am also wondering if there is way of accessing my VERA controller via ddns or similar. This may give me a direct route to the VERA controller if it occurs again. I have not looked into this properly as yet but would appreciate any advice.

For now I am going to setup port forwarding on my router and get the IP address manually via quickddns used for my CCTV system. I’ll see how that goes.

:frowning: Hi All, I got this “controller offline” error for the first time today. Local access was fine. Status of Vera seemed fine with all LED’s light up and Vera settings showed tunnels & internet access fine. No problems showed on Vera’s server systems logs. Only solution was to reboot Vera (luckily I had physical & LAN access). Has to be a Vera server problem! Suggest setting up port forward on router to get ‘direct’ access to Vera’s fixed LAN address to do the reboot if you’re ‘remote’ when this problem arises. Perhaps more elegant than attaching extra hardware into system like those Wifi TP-Link Smart plugs etc?

[quote=“madhoo, post:11, topic:196311”]Thanks for the advice integlikewhoa

My Vera Controller came back online on the 6th day. I don’t think VERA support did anything to my Controller as they didn’t have remote access to my controller at that time. However, they may have done something on their server which cleared the issue. I say this because the issue cleared around the same time that I was I having a conversation with them. I have now given them remote access and they have confirmed that they have not found any issues with my Controller. They are still looking into this though.

I will also keep in mind your suggestions.

I am also wondering if there is way of accessing my VERA controller via ddns or similar. This may give me a direct route to the VERA controller if it occurs again. I have not looked into this properly as yet but would appreciate any advice.

For now I am going to setup port forwarding on my router and get the IP address manually via quickddns used for my CCTV system. I’ll see how that goes.[/quote]

You can setup a port forward but its more of a security issue. Also direct may or may not have helped in this case. The outlet will help for many cases as even if vera is locked up or not responding, gets frozen in a update or something, this will allow for remote reboot.

Hard to say what happened but maybe after 6 days your vera rebooted and after that everything was fine. Someone else said they rebooted their vera and it was good after.

EDIT: PLEASE DISREGARD (The following is expected behavior for the VeraEdge whilst running ezlo alpha Linus firmware!!)

For the record, I’ve just encountered the bogus “Controller Offline” message when attempting to Login. It only affects the (Linux alpha ezlo fw) Vera Edge – not my Vera Plus unit.

I’ve double-checked the Vera™ ▾ Platform Status site to confirm that all systems are fully operational at this time. I can further attest that it showed itself as “online” (in the same Web UI) only minutes before and has appeared “online” throughout in the (beta) VeraMobile™ app for Android.

Strange!

1 Like