Converting from Nexia to Vera plus

Hi.
New to this forum and have read some posts suggesting that I may be able to make my Vera a secondary controller on my existing Nexia and replicate my existing z-wave network then make the Vera the primary and deep 6 the Nexia. I would appreciate hearing if that’s possible and if so how I would go about that using u17 and a brand new Vera Plus.

Thanks in advance ;D

Ok I can now give some guidance on how this works. I was able to go into my Nexia account and add a generic z-wave controller. Nexia allows 4.00 minutes for broadcasting, I then went into Vera and went to settings and then z-wave settings and hit “copy z-wave network from a primary controller”. At the top of the screen I could see the progress of copy z-wave settings and all were brought in after about 5 minutes. I did have to go and give specific names to the devices but did not have to do exclude and include all around the house so very pleased with that. I will try and do a controller shift next and make the Vera the primary. Will report back later…

Any luck?
I’m getting a HVAC upgrade and the only t-stats the contractor uses are Nexia. Wondering if I can force a trane xl824 (built in Nexia bridge) into a secondary role.

I also am very interested. Please keep us posted of your findings.

So here is the deal with Trane Z-Wave thermostats. They really don’t work with Vera; we would like them to but Trane has given Schlage and Nexia an exclusive. Not surprising as they are owned by the same company. They will not share the documentation that we need to integrate them. At Vera were are device agnostic, we want to work with everyone and to be as compatible with as many devices as possible.

I would push back on the contractor who insists on using the Trane thermostat, if he is installing a Trane HVAC system, some of the Trane systems require their thermostats. Remember, you are the customer, it is your money.

You an also put pressure on them by writing and calling Trane and the Z-Wave Alliance. Z-Wave is by design an inter-compatible protocol and they are not living up to that. Complain or buy something else. Be vocal and vote with your wallet.

I have the Trane High End Heat-Pump system that has a fancy thermostat with lots of neat (From a marketing perspective) options.

I have also been in the HVAC business (and still have family in the business).
There is a board you can have installed with the Trane system that interacts with more traditional Multi-Stage HVAC thermostats. Coupled with a Z-Wave thermostat and Vera (and in my case PLEG) automation … you will have a great automated/energy efficient solution that can react to your life style.

Thank you for sharing the information

[quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:6, topic:192792”]I have the Trane High End Heat-Pump system that has a fancy thermostat with lots of neat (From a marketing perspective) options.

I have also been in the HVAC business (and still have family in the business).
There is a board you can have installed with the Trane system that interacts with more traditional Multi-Stage HVAC thermostats. Coupled with a Z-Wave thermostat and Vera (and in my case PLEG) automation … you will have a great automated/energy efficient solution that can react to your life style.[/quote]

Richard, thanks for sharing that. That is really great to know. Could you email me the specifics that one needs to know about that board and its installation?

It’s a Trane part … fits in the indoor unit.
I will see if i can find the part #.

This Trane(Honeywell) Thermostat works with Vera under UI5. I have not tested it with UI7, but I would expect it to work there too. I know it’s not the fancy new xl824 type that you want, but…

Hey man can you help me out on this. I am trying to use my devices on nexia with my Vera unit. I Clicked the copy z wave network, and also went on nexia trying to add a generic controler, but the nexia never found the vera hub. Can you give me some more details on how you did this. It would really be appriciated. My email is cory.wijnhamer @ gmail . c0m
Thanks

How do you add a Generic Z-Wave Controller to a Nexia Hub ?