Cooper RF 9500

Anyone else using the cooper RF9500 Battery operated switch?

Has anyone configured this device in vera before?

Is it considered a 2 scene controller?

Mine sees it as a 1 scene controller.

So it’s actually more versatile if I associate it with devices. Up will turn on, down will turn off.

I’m having issues setting this device to associate itself with two other devices.

Could someone post a step by step. The wiki doesn’t help.

Mark - Here is how mine is set up…

Associations
You must leave automatically configure on before this works learn more
Group ID: 1
Set to: 31
Currently: 31,

I set its groupID = 1
I set 25,26 which are the plugs I want to turn on/off.
I then hit save.
I hit reconfigure but the device stays with a red cog.

Do I need to set devices, 25,26 to groupID=1?

did you wake up the switch by pressing the button once a second?

yes, pressed button once per second. The latest firmware changes how it all work anyways now :slight_smile:

Here’s the latest tech reply I received tfrom Julian.

Hello, We're re-written the scene to controller association process in the 944 firmware. Please update your box:

On your Vera go to Advanced, downloads and put in this URL:

http://download.controlmyhouse.net/betafirmware/ftp/wl500gP_Luup-1.0.944.trx

The ‘custom zwave settings’ ‘scene assignments’ is gone. Now, there’s
only 1 way to assign a scene to a scene or zone controller: Create the
Scene on the scenes tab, click Add Event, choose the scene/zone
controller, choose ‘a scene is activated’, for ‘which scene number’
put in the button number (1-4).

Then when you save, whatever devices in the scene are capable get
programmed directly in the zone/scene controller, and in parallel the
zone/scene controller also is programmed to report the scene # to
Vera, so Vera will also run the scene. Therefore, all the scene
capable devices in the scene can be dimmed/brightened and turned off
like normal, and will work without Vera. The non-scene capable
devices, like thermostats, etc., will only work when Vera is on.

It also works for handheld remotes. However, since we can’t program
the handheld except during inclusion because it’s battery operated,
after you add an event to a scene for a handheld remote, it will
initially be working only through Vera’s events (ie on works, but not
off). As soon as you choose ‘Add Controller’ and add the same one
again, then Vera will transfer the scenes into the handheld so it
works just like the in-walls.

mark-hc: Ooo! I wonder if this will work with my Leviton VRCS4-MRX? Might be worth a try. Is 944 the latest or is there a later version I should go to?

This is the latest version I’ve been aware of. Who knows whats brewing in the labs.

I believe that’s what MCV was talking about regarding the new Leviton Zone/Scene controller associations… Need to try myself. Anyone already tried it? How does it work?

@denix, I tried the technique posted by @mark-hc (using 1.0.944) and it works using Leviton 4-Scene+Switch controllers.

Anyone know if this works for the leviton 1 scene controller as well?

@guessed, thanks! that’s good news. Wonder why it’s not official yet…

I’m on 949 and have a VRCS4-MRX with a scene controlling lights on dimmers and pumps on switches. Using the wall controller it dims the lights, as well as turning the scene on and off. Awesome! Of course it works using Vera’s mobile and browser UIs, too.

I was wondering a week or so ago whatever happened with that conversation. Glad to see it happened. Haven’t had a chance to test it yet though.

I just got a Cooper RF 9500 today. Unfortunately, I can’t make it work. Maybe with another hour or two of reading and messing with it I can get it going. :stuck_out_tongue:

Success. I finally got it working last night. I’ll re-read the wiki and see if there’s something I can add that would make it easier to understand.

cmrancho: could you post the steps for successful installation? I could use that switch in my setup

Since I initially tried many things before it worked, I was hoping to uninstall and reinstall it so I could clarify the steps for you. I haven’t had time to do that, so for now here’s what I think you’d do:

1. Include your devices via the usual dongle procedure.
  2. Let it configure, which might take some time. The switch only stays awake for 30 seconds after you press the switch, so you might want to click on “Configure node right now” after hitting the button.
  3. Once the battery switch shows up as a controller with its accompanying dimmer switch, you can click “+” then “Advanced ZWave Settings” where you will find “Associations”.
  4. Create a Group by typing in a number in the “Group ID” field and click “Add Group”
  5. Click on “Set” to get a list of your devices. Check the boxes for the devices you want associated, in this case the battery switch (which is a scene controller) and the light switch or plug in module you want the switch to control.
  6. Save that and then let it configure, once again this could take some time, since battery operated devices are not always awake.
  7. Cross your fingers, then press the 9500 and like magic, the light will come on.

Since this didn’t work the first couple of times for me, I had to exclude/include more than once. I don’t know if some of my trouble was not waiting long enough for the configuration to take place, etc. But I do have it working now! Good luck and may the Z-wave be with you.