CurrentCost EnviR energy monitor

Yep. The value on the parent device defaults to the same as Appliance 0 but you can set a formula if you have more than one appliance transmitter. I use this to compute net usage from my solar panels.

[quote=“parkerc, post:180, topic:168489”]While i have you, can I just check something, I have two devices for the whole house, one is the main/parent device and the other is ‘Appliance 0’, yet both show the same information.

Is that by design? Or is mine doing something differently ?[/quote]

Thats normal I think. I have a main device and another appliance0 device in Vera both show the same wattage usage.
However in my case I also have this additional appliance9 device which shows completely different usage data and I cant work out what this is? Ive emailed current cost support again and put a post about it on their forum.

The IAM plug was interesting, my WHS server uses 5w when in S3 sleep and around 150w when fired up.

Hi @futzle

Looking at the logs there’s a lot of information coming in to Vera every 2-3 seconds, should this be of any concern ? I only ask as I am looking at adding all 3 x IAMs soon E.g.

The following are all processed for each device, parent and children, yet look to always be the same info each submission) - so by my count with the 3 IAMs installed, I’ll have the same data processed by Vera 4 times (4 x children (appliances 0,1,2 & 3))

urn:futzle-com:serviceId:CurrentCostEnviR1 variable: Version was: CC128-v1.29 now: CC128-v1.29 #hooks: 0 upnp: 0 v:(nil)/NONE duplicate:1 <0x30448680>
urn:futzle-com:serviceId:CurrentCostEnviR1 variable: DaysSinceBirth was: 357 now: 357 #hooks: 0 upnp: 0 v:0xef3290/NONE duplicate:1 <0x30448680>
urn:futzle-com:serviceId:CurrentCostEnviR1 variable: Time was: 12:02:58 now: 12:03:05 #hooks: 0 upnp: 0 v:0xef3350/NONE duplicate:0 <0x30448680>

Are there any benefits (potential) in doing a select extract of the source xml data from the EnviR, thereby filtering the data so that only the values that change frequently are regularly transacted by Vera ?

(Just thinking out loud)

You’re not a programmer, so you don’t know that the trap you’ve fallen into is so common among developers that it has a name: “premature optimization”, where you solve performance problems that don’t yet exist, Just In Case.

Tell you what: try it and I will fix it if there’s a problem. My gut feeling is that Vera will handle a full complement of appliances just fine. I’ve already got devices that update once a second and they don’t seem to put any strain on my Vera Lite.

Are there tablets I can take for this condition, or maybe a cream that could be applied? :smiley:

Thanks for responding and you make very good points, i just wanted to ask as I’d just noticed that my EnviR was talking quite a bit more than anything else in the logs.

Think I just got to the bottom of this ghost Appliance 9 issue. I just unplugged the guy next doors British Gas transmitter and now appliance 9 on my monitor is showing 1 Watt Cost 0. Not sure if Current Cost make the British Gas transmitters as well? But it looked different to my transmitter. His was a smaller box and square, not like the Current Cost transmitter box.

Not sure how I was receiving his data when his transmitter and my monitor are not paired up etc ?

I have emailed Current Cost support for some clarification.

Thanks

I was close … :slight_smile:

Glad you found it, (I seem to recall) to add the IAMs you have to hold down one of the up/down buttons to register them against thevEnviR as an appliance, so it might have been added in error when you were setting yours up.

I was close … :slight_smile:

Glad you found it, (I seem to recall) to add the IAMs you have to hold down one of the up/down buttons to register them against thevEnviR as an appliance, so it might have been added in error when you were setting yours up.[/quote]

Possibly that’s how it got added?

On my Current Cost transmitter you have to press a button on it to pair it to the ENVIR monitor. So now I know what this ghost appliance 9 device is, I still don’t know how to delete the device.

Last week I did a factory reset on the monitor, I then paired my transmitter again OK on Appliance 0. I then paired an IAM plug OK on Appliance 1. However the ghost Appliance 9 device still came back and I did not hold the down button down on Appliance 9.

So its as if the transmitter next door just appears on the monitor without me actually pairing it.

The guy was not using his British Gas monitor but still had his transmitter connected. I’ve disconnected it now but its still showing 1 watt and as a device present on Appliance 9. Might go back to see him tomorrow see if we can take the batteries out of the bloody thing.

I will also try another factory reset on my monitor now his transmitter is not connected.

Right I went round again, I have his transmitter here with me now, pulled out the batteries and Appliance 9 is no longer showing 1 watt, its all just blank as it should be.

The Current Cost Vera add-in is still showing Appliance 9 however, I expect that this will be auto removed shortly? as its no longer transmitting data without the batteries.

The British Gas Energy Monitor looks like the attached photo. And appears to be made by Current Cost as well ! The TREC model ?

So the question is why is a TREC transmitter next door sending data to my ENVIR monitor? I’ve updated Current Cost support on my findings.

It’ll only vanish if you do the “0” hack in the Advanced tab. This time, though, it won’t come back because there are no new packets transmitting on appliance 9.

Well done on getting to the bottom of the Mystery of the Phantom Appliance.

It’ll only vanish if you do the “0” hack in the Advanced tab. This time, though, it won’t come back because there are no new packets transmitting on appliance 9.

Well done on getting to the bottom of the Mystery of the Phantom Appliance.[/quote]

Futzle

Thanks, I’ve done the hack and appliance 9 has gone! ;D

I bought a second CT Jaw and connected it on EnviR.
In the dashboard of the Vera, I have well Appliance 1 but with no power.
What did I wrong ?

Assuming you did at least two SAVEs on the Vera web interface (the second one seems to be necessary) then I’m not sure yet. Can you capture the serial stream to a real computer and post it here? Search back in this thread for how.

Edit: Can you please clarify? You said:

By “Jaw” do you mean:

[ul][li]Clamp only, which you attached to your existing transmitter.[/li]
[li]Clamp and transmitter, which you paired with your EnviR display.[/li][/ul]

Also, it should not matter which of the three sockets on the transmitter you connect the clamp to, but this is untested.

Finally: are you seeing the correct power on the EnviR LCD screen?

Futzle,

Firstly, thanks so much for writing the EnviR plug-in. I had the same problems as some others mentioned of my Vera lite becoming unresponsive and requiring a hardware reset (I SSHed in to reset) because the Lua system stopped responding, but after this and restoring my previous settings, it’s all working great. In the end it wasn’t as much hassle as I feared thanks to the automatic daily back-ups. And now everything is working great, and I can monitor total power consumption in my house.

I did have one question: I may be missing something, but is it possible to see the 1/7/30* day total KWh usage through the device? I believe the data must be there from the charts and/or usage, but I can’t see a way to see the raw data. The reason I ask is that this data is displayed on the EnviR itself, and is somewhat useful (e.g., for comparing to a bill), but to connect to my Vera Lite which is in my basement, it’s no longer very accessible. I realize the energy monitoring isn’t perfect so it won’t match a bill too closely but it’s better than nothing.

I was also curious if there was a way to chart data more granularly (e.g., in <2 hour chunks) but I expect the EnviR is the limiting factor here.

Anyway, again - many thanks for the effort you’ve put in to make a great and useful plug-in!

Thanks,

Jon

• Calendar month would be ideal but 30 days is also helpful

[quote=“futzle, post:193, topic:168489”]By “Jaw” do you mean:

[ul][li]Clamp only, which you attached to your existing transmitter.[/li]
[li]Clamp and transmitter, which you paired with your EnviR display.[/li][/ul]

Also, it should not matter which of the three sockets on the transmitter you connect the clamp to, but this is untested.

Finally: are you seeing the correct power on the EnviR LCD screen?[/quote]
It’s the first one : I just bought a clamp which I attached on my existing transmitter.
I’m not seing the correct power on the LCD but it shows that there are 2 clambs installed (on the top left of the screen).
Perharps, I’m wrong and it doesn’t work but I thought so.

If you did that then there shouldn’t be an Appliance 1, because each transmitter appears as one appliance, and you have only one transmitter. Have you been renaming the devices?

To get separate devices for each phase you have to enable three-phase devices on the parent device’s Configuration tab. You won’t get history for each phase but you get individual instantaneous usages for each clamp.

You could compute it from the daily history values, adding them up to produce a total kWh for whatever period you wanted. The plugin doesn’t do this but the raw data is there.

I can't see a way to see the raw data.

On the Advanced tab is a field DailyHistory, which contains a big long string that encodes a bunch of entries like

001=15.0;002=6.7;

This means that 1 day ago, you used 15.0 kWh, two days ago you used 6.7 kWh, and so on.

There’s also a TwoHourlyHistory string that counts hours rather than days, if you want usage-since-midnight or a rolling 24-hour usage.

Interpreting this data is nontrivial and dealing with edge cases around midnight (11 pm in CurrentCostLand) drove me crazy for those pretty bar graphs. I’m really not keen on going back there.

I was also curious if there was a way to chart data more granularly (e.g., in <2 hour chunks) but I expect the EnviR is the limiting factor here.

2 hour chunks is all that the console collects. If you need finer data than that then I’ll point you at dataMine, which is a proper data-logging solution.

Calendar month would be ideal but 30 days is also helpful

In the land of CurrentCost, all months are 30 days long.

Thank you very much Futzle, It works very well. I didn’t know this before and I will know it for next time.

Thanks !!

Lionel.

Thanks futzle! Helpful to know that it’s all there

Hi Futzle

I’ve got a problem with my Rapberry Pi & Ser2Net set up with my EnviR and the Current Cost Plugin, it’s just stopped working, the Pi is up and Ser2net looks to be running…

In the Vera uPnP logs there are now frequent entries as follows…

13 22:39:45.368	IOPort::Run RecvFailed 0 close 13 <0x2fed8680>

To do some digging, i used Telnet to see what is coming into the Pi over the ser2net port s/IP is as follows too, which seems to change it’s structure?

CC128-v1.290038823:20:30003401kwhr0476.000484.250473.000601.00010.0000.0000.0000.00020.0000.0000.0000.00030.0000.0000.0000.00040.0000.0000.0000.00050.0000.0000.0000.00060.0000.0000.0000.00070.0000.0000.0000.00080.0000.0000.0000.00090.0000.0000.0000.000 CC128-v1.290038823:20:3121.6000695100560

If you have any idea thoughts, please let me know.