Customizable Dashboard Pricing

Depends whats included (and of course how relevant to us). The more powerful it is the more we’d be “happy” to pay. I would say up to $3 per month in reasonable.

There are some very useful apps we use in our house (such as the vera tasker intergration which we pay a small sub for each month, this supports the developer and keeps them going).

Like everyone as a household we’re always trying to control monthly costs, however if we find something very useful then we’re happy to pay as it lets continued development and gives something a longer life, especially important if you’re building home control around it.

I’d not sign up to something that was $10 or above a month, but something thats up to $3 would be fine . Perhpas have a full / lite version at different prices, people can then decide which bits they want to use and thus control the monthly spend.

I’m lucky enough to not have to pay for Imperihome as was a very early user (and did lots of beta testing) but I’d pay the current fee for it as its so useful.

3 Likes

this is why when architecting the future of home automation we must decouple dependency of the platform from what kind of controller you are running…

2 Likes

As a PS I should add I’d not want to pay for access / services to the hub, what I like about Vera is I’ve bought the hardware and it runs locally (a must for any home automation). I’d be happy to pay for an app that helps me control it but I’d see that as a bolt on. Paying for access to the main hub would be a no for us.

2 Likes

I agree, I do not want/need access to a cloud server but I would be willing to pay a fee for a interface app as long as it is maintained. It would have to be in the low single digit dollars per month if not it may push me to a separate solution. Another method is to have an initial cost and maintenance for a 2 year period and then pay an annual maintenance to get updates. I agree that the company needs some way to fund the development. My experience is that this can be paid for from the maintenance contracts.

Some seem a bit harsh around here, but I get it… we have been strung along for quite a while with a product that doesn’t work well or optimally for many people.

Frankly I am not super interested in a monthly charge, but I will pay a small amount (a few dollars/month) if they system works perfectly out of the box. No more workarounds, things randomly breaking, huge automation limitations, and just straight jankiness. Although it has been a bit fun, I am tired of sensors breaking, things simply not working. I want the system to actually work. And no claims that it will, prove it, then charge. Perhaps some services/options for free, some paid. That seems to be a popular setup.

tdlr: Make it work without all of the hassle.

2 Likes

Just for clarity, are you expecting to pay for the dashboard (and additional product from what I can glean) to ensure the out of the box product works?

I’m just wondering if there’s a conflation of two issues. My personal view is that it should work out of the box whether I buy the dashboard or not.

YMMV

3 Likes

I guess I should have clarified. I expect it to work out of the box, I will not pay if it doesn’t work. I guess I am just tired of Vera not working properly for even simple setups. I can see addons/additional features being an extra cost. I guess it all comes down to numbers. Can they keep developing a project without reoccurring income? I think not.

My Vera is shit hot. Always works for me.

Have a large Z-Wave network with complex PLEG logic and sweet Imperihome dashboards.

Sure it’s had its ups and downs with some FW updates and issues over the years, but I’ve never left or felt the need to look elsewhere.

Least I’m not like Paul Hibbert screaming on YouTube now that Tuya Smart Life are gonna shut down their IFTTT support and now none of their WiFi “smart” devices can be integrated outside of their own eco system and his whole HA system has gone to shit.

Maybe with flashing custom FW to gain back some local LAN control? He might recover.

Glad I stuck with Vera and Z-Wave devices. You get what you pay for and I’ve never used anything else but Z-Wave and Vera units.

EZLO You better rock you have a lot to live up too!

4 Likes

That is the holy grail of computer control of the real world.

1 Like

Exactly! Thank you for recognizing it!
That is what we are trying to bring to the world!

After reading this post, I am not so sure I want to continue my journey with Ezlo.
I cannot accept the concept that the old user base does not generate revenue. You acquired Vera with all the revenue generated by the old user base (if you acquired it with debts, it’s your business decision). The old user base is what will allow you to sell your new stuff, otherwise why not creating a startup? It would have been a lot simpler? No, you bought the NAME, the community, and old user base that will allow you to sell more via upgrades vs. starting from scratch.
I bought many devices, the Vera lite, Vera edge, Vera plus, Vera secure (yes, less than 18 months ago). My home and my vacation home are currently fully automated with a Vera secure (100+ devices).
I was ok with the platform, even with all the limitations, because it allowed me to do pretty much anything I needed. The only critic I had was around new device integrations, since I own pretty much Fibaro devices and Qubino devices that took ages to get integrated.
I do not care who is the owner, I care that I have given Vera a lot of money (even recently). It’s enlighten to know that I am now considered a milking cow.

Back On topic, I have 3 iPad mini wall mounted in my home and two iPod touch: I have written an APP in swift, from scratch, where I can control everything from lights, A/C, blinds, scene, ip cameras, entrance gate. . . .
Everything is MQTT based, with a push mechanism status update instead of a pull. The MQTT plugin generate messages for every Vera event, and this allow me to do things like:

• “when the doorbell is pressed (zwave), popup on the iPad App the VLC streaming of the outside camera”. The camera is not part of Vera.
  • "If there is no motion for 20 min in the room where the iPad/iPod is located (zwave), dim the ipad/ipod screen to the min to save energy, and do the opposite when motion is detected.
  • the APP support text to speech (via MQTT)
  • the APP has a tile to run radio station/music
  • the APP has a weather tile (current and a popup for forecast)
  • . . . .

A MUST for me is that the communication stay local, no cloud connection.

Not everything needs to be integrated into the EZLO platform, but everything can be integrated into an APP, where the device in question has a lot more horsepower.

Only the further integration/differentiation that you can get with an APP can justify a fee.
How much would I pay for something like this? If it is a great professional user interface, based on push and not pull, I would spend between $0.99 and $1.49 per month. More than that will be too much.

5 Likes

agreed 100%! Whatever can be done locally must be done locally.

3 Likes

I’m feeling picky but semantically that’s not quite the same thing.

If the ecosystem is architected to be cloud based, then it “can’t” be done locally, if you take my point.

Not saying it can’t but just putting that out there.

C

ecosystem must be designed to do everything locally if it can.

2 Likes

So I’ve been in the real world lately (pandemic) and have finally had a chance to catch up on this thread.

SAS model would be OK if two prerequisites were met: local operation without cloud requirement and reasonable cost. <$50 a year. We have seen nothing great from Vera in the past so paying more for a 1990s looking interface including the current app will not justify a higher cost.

Many of us have been looking because all though this has not been perfect its been good enough as a base and with such advancements that the 3rd party developers have done have made the platform viable thus far(people such as the caliber of rigpapa,amg0, akboer, reneb, rafale77, and so many more too many to mention but you and I know who they are).

The ONLY reason this company exists (until you bought them),was because of the users and developers who fixed the flaws, shortcomings, and lack of functionality and stuck with it. Bear that fact in mind.

These are the people who can keep you going or leave and depart and you will not have the starting point you have now. Bear that in mind-- this is not a threat but reads harshly…because it IS a business fact, for this platform, up to now.

I received an EZlo atom and when it became obvious that it was cloud based only the beta was over for me (and likely many others) because we want systems that work off the web and are controllable as such. We don’t want/can’t accept/use home automation software that fails to be controllable without calling home for instructions, updates, user control etc. That being said the small size to use a mini network was intriguing and might help mitigate signal issues with zwave if controllable locally but otherwise was a nonstarter for me.

All the current options for dashboard controls and apps are marginal at best. Including the vera app.

I may stop my search to jump ship if you develop a product (software/hardware) that builds on what is already here in terms of functionality and integration. Otherwise paying for something subscription that controls a solution that does improve on the current functionality (even if free) will drive many of us if not all of us away.

I have found a remote dashboard solution that integrates many unrelated products and platforms, gives granular control of all locally or via cloud, is <5$ for the app, the app runs on all platforms, and the development of your screens are shareable between platforms and even users agnostic to the platform it was developed on or used on, and can even be developed or edited in the actual remote app called The Home Remote. And its technically far superior to anything out there. And actively developed for.

The only other solution I’m currently interested in is Rigpapa’s because of obvious plugin accomplishments and knowledge … because if something were to be done the right way, I am beyond confident that he’s done it.

Ps I would welcome a hardware solution think transceiver that would run on my network and I could load the main software into a server of my choosing (old laptop, small form factor pc, or in my case, a VM on a server) that would allow us to select the resources and update them as needed as our needs change. You could sell small form factor pcs to run it on if people couldn’t or wouldn’t source their own. It allows the software and transceivers to be the hardware and the rest to be upgradable outside of that realm. It works for many other industries and software products ie firewalls.

Sorry if TLDR and not the exact answer to the question but must be said…

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.