DataYours - App Store Release

Documentation and other resources for the App store release of DataYours.

This release is UI5 and UI7 compatible.

If you like this plugin, please consider making a donation to Cancer Research UK at [url=https://www.justgiving.com/DataYours/]https://www.justgiving.com/DataYours/[/url]

[Edit #1 - the documentation is now attached! ]
[Edit #2 - sample aggregation and schemas files now attached! ]

THE LATEST DISTRIBUTION (probably newer than the App Store release) can be found here: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,30808.msg263795.html#msg263795

Another update on progress…

It’s just over a year since I’ve had the earliest versions of [tt]DataYours[/tt] running (see [url=http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,17232.msg154658.html#msg154658]http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,17232.msg154658.html#msg154658[/url]) and well past time for an app store release. However, I’m glad for the delay since it has allowed me to make a UI7 compatible version.

There is some final fettling to do, including documentation, but the release version (which I’m calling version 7, partly to indicate UI7 compatibility and partly to distinguish it from earlier beta tests) has the following features:

[ul][li]The [tt]DataYours[/tt] plugin itself is really just a framework, library, and launcher for other plugin modules (to be installed separately from the App store) which add the real functionality. It creates a genuine Vera virtual device which acts as a parent for the other modules which appear as child devices of this one (and run in its address space.)[/li]
[li][tt]DataYours-Graphite[/tt] adds four modules ([tt]DataWatcher, DataCache, DataGraph, DataDash[/tt]) which provide Vera with a Lua implementation of the open-source Graphite system for storing and plotting time-based data. These will be familiar to users of the beta versions.[/li]
[li][tt]DataYours-DataMineServer[/tt] brings a graphical interface to [tt]dataMine[/tt] channels and graphs within the [tt]DataYours[/tt] environment.[/li][/ul]

Each child device presents a few simple configuration parameters which can be accessed through the Advanced tab on the Vera UI, and should make setting things up very easy. The overall architecture is very extensible and I can imagine additional modules (power monitoring, anyone?) coming along later. I have yet to document the API, but there’s no reason why others shouldn’t be able to write additional [tt]DataYours[/tt] plugins.

I hope to put the above three plugins into the App store within the the next week.

God work akbooer! :smiley:

Fine work akbooer !!

I’ve loaded on UI7 the files and I’ve Datayours7 up and running.

Can I install the app from the store without disrupting the actual environment ?

tnks

donato

The App Store version will be compatible with the latest Beta 3 version posted here. You should be able to install from the store and just carry on running.

If you were running the Beta 2 version then there are a couple of files which need to be copied/ renamed:

[ul][li][tt]/www/DataWatcher2.conf[/tt] → [tt]/www/DataWatcher.conf[/tt][/li]
[li][tt]/www/DataDash2.conf[/tt] → [tt]/www/DataDash.conf[/tt][/li]
[li]the [tt]/www/carbon.conf[/tt] file is no longer used, since configuration is done through the child device variables[/li][/ul]

I think this is all that’s required. In fact, it’s possible to run multiple Veras on different versions, I have a mixture of Beta 2, Beta 3, and a pre-release of the App Store release 7 all playing together nicely on 3 VeraLites and one Edge.

[Edit: IMPORTANT you should also ensure that you remove any [tt]require[/tt] statements that refer to previous versions from your Lua Startup code]

Just to say that Ive updated the [tt]DataYours[/tt] documentation and attached it to the first post of this thread.

Very excited for this and thanks in advance for the efforts! I’ll be posting install results as soon as the apps hit the store.

[tt]DataYours[/tt] suite of plugins have been submitted for approval in the App Store.

Great!

do I still need DataMine for this? or is it a standalone solution for logging and graphing? (still not completely clear to me…)

NO, it’s quite independent when using the [tt]DataYours-Graphite[/tt] plugin. However, I would recommend that you run both in parallel as a sanity check to begin with (that is, if you are already running [tt]dataMine[/tt].) If you also install the [tt]DataYours-dataMineServer[/tt] you can use that from within [tt]DataYours[/tt] to plot channels and graphs recorded in [tt]dataMine[/tt].

I have not yet produced a migration tool to transfer data from one to the other, but that’s certainly do-able.

Fantastic turn-around from the folk at Vera: a ONE DAY turnaround on approving [tt]DataYours[/tt] in the App store.

So it’s there for the taking. I’m sure there will be questions…

PS: If you like it, and think I should have charged for it, just feel free to make a small (or large) donation to your favourite cancer charity. Thanks.

Hey!

Great Job!

I got some questions about the manual from 02-2015

1. I installed both the DataYours and the DataYours-graphite plugin. No icons were installed (url of the icon is http://192.168.2.4/cmh/skins/default/img/devices/device_states/DataDash.png, but there’s nothing there)

2. Step 2: I first changed the variable (took me a while to find it in UI7) to “Watcher”
    but after a while I figured out I should’ve renamed it to “Watcher, Cache, Graph, Dash”

3. and then what? what needs to be restarted? the whole vera? just Luup? how do I do that?
    anyway (because I needed to mount a usb) I’ve restarted the complete vera and the 4 other devices were installed.

4. step (and this is where I’m stuck) where is the LOCAL_DATA_DIR variable? My Cache Devices has no Variables whatsoever. (Is this because I installed DataYours without an USB stick?)

Can you help? Thanks!

[quote=“dohmenict, post:12, topic:186018”]got some questions about the manual from 02-2015

1. I installed both the DataYours and the DataYours-graphite plugin. No icons were installed (url of the icon is http://192.168.2.4/cmh/skins/default/img/devices/device_states/DataDash.png, but there’s nothing there)[/quote]
    Yes, I found the same thing - no icons. I could find no way to test the installation properly on UI7 without actually publishing it. Strangely, some icons on my other apps installed this way show up, some don’t. How did you get the URL of the icon?
2) Step 2: I first changed the variable (took me a while to find it in UI7) to "Watcher" but after a while I figured out I should've renamed it to "Watcher, Cache, Graph, Dash"
Yes, the variables under the Advanced tab don't seem to show up until after several restarts of the engine. And yes, if you want the whole system installed then that's the string to use (sorry if this wasn't clear from the manual [i]- it is item #2 of the Quick Start section on page 3[/i].) The reason it's not simply there by default is that it will generate a startup error if you haven't install the [tt]DataYours-Graphite[/tt] components.
3) and then what? what needs to be restarted? the whole vera? just Luup? how do I do that? anyway (because I needed to mount a usb) I've restarted the complete vera and the 4 other devices were installed.
Yes, always worth a restart (and sometime a refresh of your browser.) There are some actions which it performs only once at startup. Under UI7 the Restart button keeps moving, but under the latest firmware it's a button "Reload Engine" under the "Advanced > New service" tab of any device.
4) step (and this is where I'm stuck) where is the LOCAL_DATA_DIR variable? My Cache Devices has no Variables whatsoever.

This is the above “restart multiple times” problem. A few restarts, a browser refresh, and it will be there. Not my fault: UI7’s.

Hi akbooer,

I’ve installed previously on VeraEdge the files you posted. After downloaded the plugin from store a new device Datayours and relative children were created.

I reconfigured the Datayours variables and deleted the old Datayours device.

It seems that only the graphs defined previously was cancelled. All other functions seems ok

Thanks and great job !!

donato

[quote=“akbooer, post:13, topic:186018”][quote=“dohmenict, post:12, topic:186018”]got some questions about the manual from 02-2015

1. I installed both the DataYours and the DataYours-graphite plugin. No icons were installed (url of the icon is http://192.168.2.4/cmh/skins/default/img/devices/device_states/DataDash.png, but there’s nothing there)[/quote]
    Yes, I found the same thing - no icons. I could find no way to test the installation properly on UI7 without actually publishing it. Strangely, some icons on my other apps installed this way show up, some don’t. How did you get the URL of the icon?[/quote]
    right click and copy url on the missing icon-icon :slight_smile:
2) Step 2: I first changed the variable (took me a while to find it in UI7) to "Watcher" but after a while I figured out I should've renamed it to "Watcher, Cache, Graph, Dash"
Yes, the variables under the Advanced tab don't seem to show up until after several restarts of the engine. And yes, if you want the whole system installed then that's the string to use (sorry if this wasn't clear from the manual.) The reason it's not simply there by default is that it will generate a startup error if you haven't install the [tt]DataYours-Graphite[/tt] components.
3) and then what? what needs to be restarted? the whole vera? just Luup? how do I do that? anyway (because I needed to mount a usb) I've restarted the complete vera and the 4 other devices were installed.
Yes, always worth a restart (and sometime a refresh of your browser.) There are some actions which it performs only once at startup. Under UI7 the Restart button keeps moving, but under the latest firmware it's a button "Reload Engine" under the "Advanced > New service" tab of any device.
4) step (and this is where I'm stuck) where is the LOCAL_DATA_DIR variable? My Cache Devices has no Variables whatsoever.

This is the above “restart multiple times” problem. A few restarts, a browser refresh, and it will be there. Not my fault: UI7’s.

Okay, I’ll restart it some more ;D

Yes, the newly installed plugin will not inherit the old manually-created [tt]DataYours[/tt] device or its children.

I reconfigured the Datayours variables and deleted the old Datayours device.
The right thing thing to do!
It seems that only the graphs defined previously was cancelled. All other functions seems ok
See the section of the User Guide "Converting from previous DataYours Beta 2 version" (page 11):

“To retain your stored graph settings, copy your [tt]/www/DataDash2.config[/tt] file to [tt]/www/DataDash.conf[/tt]”

Okay, so now I got the devices running,

I mounted my nas to /nas/. But when I try to create a watch I get:
Error creating: Vera-301xxxxxx.005.urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1.KWH
Status messsage = [string “module (“L_DataWhisper7”, package.seeall)…”]:206: You must specify at least one archive configuration!

(I see no files created on my nas…)

nevermind! stupid me!

[quote=“dohmenict, post:17, topic:186018”]I mounted my nas to /nas/. But when I try to create a watch I get:
Error creating: Vera-301xxxxxx.005.urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1.KWH
Status messsage = [string “module (“L_DataWhisper7”, package.seeall)…”]:206: You must specify at least one archive configuration![/quote]

I presume that you passed through the archive creation menu (page 9 of the User Guide) without selecting any archives for your data? No archives → no database file → no stored data!

EITHER: select some archives saying what sample rate and storage duration you want,
OR: install (and possibly modify) the storage and aggregation configuration files supplied as a ZIP file on post #1 of this thread into your target Whisper database directory.

When I click on “Configure” I got;

DataDash2 CONFIGURATION at Thu Feb 26 17:58:14 2015 DAEMON = { VERSION = “2015.02.12 DataDaemon7 @akbooer”, client = “DataDash2”, destinations = {}, errors = { count = 1, message = “[string “module (“L_DataWhisper7”, package.seeall)…”]:216: A Whisper database may not be configured having two archives with the same precision (archive4: 3600, archive5: 3600)”, time = “Thu Feb 26 17:48:43 2015”}, http = {received = 3}, ip = “192.168.30.32”, start_time = “Thu Feb 26 17:42:27 2015”, udp = { last_received = {}, last_sent = {}, received = 0, sent = 0}} DATADASH = { VERSION = “2015.02.24 DataDash7 @akbooer”, whisper = “/nas/”} DEBUG = {graphList = {{ “Vera-45003449.030.urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1.Watts”, icon = “Energy”, lineMode = “staircase”, name = “Varmepumpe”, select = “Vera-45003449.030.urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1.Watts”},{ “Vera-45003449.030.urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1.Watts”, areaMode = “none”, drawNullAs = “zero”, icon = “Energy”, lineMode = “staircase”, name = “VaRmEpUmPe”, select = “Vera-45003449.030.urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1.Watts”},{ “Vera-45003449.007.urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1.Watts”, icon = “Energy”, name = “Varmtvann”, select = “Vera-45003449.007.urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1.Watts”}}} [dash] = { DATAMINE = “”, LOCAL_DATA_DIR = “/nas/”, SYSLOG = “”, UI7 = true, VERAS = “”}

And, how can I delete Graphs?