Determination of a device inclusion

I previously had a Fortrezz (water) flow meter included which was partially functional (on my Vera Plus) due to the presence of a fairly new app which Fortrezz paid for and had added to Vera in Fall 2017. This device had previously been included but was basically ‘non-functional’ before that. Fast forward to a month or so ago at which time, I backed up my system, upgraded to 7.31 (after not having upgraded for several years) with a factory reset, and restored my system with the backed up file. Now I cannot get the device to count gallons which it did before… The app is still there, but as far as I can tell there isn’t a revised version of the app.

Vera Tech help tried to create a device from the app, which still didn’t function. I tried excluding and then reincluding the device. However, every time I try that, I cannot seem to get the device reincluded and the whole system resets to factory default (appears to be a glitch in the set up wizard), requiring me to restore my zwave network again.

If I successfully excluded the device in a previous try, would restoring the zwave network actually reinclude the device? When I restore my zwave network from my back up, the device is listed again. How do I know that the listed device is actually included??

1 Like

To my understanding, if you excluded the device by unpairing it, then even if you restore a back up the device would have to be included again and re-paired with the controller.

1 Like

That’s what I was thinking, but every time I try to include, the device gives me two sequential red lights but the set up wizard doesn’t seem to recognize that it has been included (I am including it as a generic Zwave device as the device isn’t listed in any of the device lists that I have examined). After restoring my zwave network including the devices, I have tried just deleting the device and then re-including it, but so far that hasn’t worked either.

Again the question is how can I tell whether the device has been successfully included other than the inclusion being recognized through the set up wizard? Is there anyway to examine the parameters, etc. of a listed device to determine whether it is included or excluded?

If the device is not including (and has been before) may be it’s still included.

When including the device does the count down get to zero?

Yes the countdown does get to zero, and I retry sometimes a couple of times. Eventually I try to just exit the process and that’s when it set my controller goes to the default settings (and all of my devices and scenes disappear). I have tried to do this 3 different times with it going back to the default setting all 3 times, even though I am not hitting the default setting button.

I could try excluding it again and then deleting it before re-including it. But this is getting old having to restore it each time. Alternatively, I could have the Tech guys look at it again. It isn’t that critical that I have the flow meter working, but I would like at least some rudimentary function out of it. I would expect it to be natively integrated at some point, since Ezlo bought both Vera and Fortrezz from my understanding.

I understand the frustration, we have all been there.

So once it gets to zero, how do you re try reinstalling again? do you click try again or start from scratch?

A Retry Button pops up. After the second failure to include (if I remember correctly), buttons to default settings, exit and retry pop up. And if I exit, I lose everything.

You get no message when you click retry, saying that the the controller will try to exclude?

The resetting to default is very strange, i would contact support on that.

I will just delete the flow meter and then try to include it and report back on that. If it goes the way I think it will go (losing everything again), I will contact support again.

To ensure that I had deleted and unpaired the flow meter, I did all of that and then factory reset it on the device itself. I reincluded it after doing a default reset of my Vera Plus. Then I restored my device and settings which worked fine. However, I am still not getting gallons per minute or total gallons used on the flow meter like I was before I updated the Vera Plus firmware to 7.31. Today, I went into the Fortrezz app that had been uploaded with my system restoration. There were no updates for the new firmware available for that app. Anyway in the app, I created a device from the app and then linked my flow meter to that (Vera support did this before with no success). We will see if that helps the meter count gallons again. If I have no success with that, I will ask Vera for customer support. Thanks for you help. It is frustrating to be as ignorant as I am about all of this stuff, but the only way I can learn is to try things.

It’s a slow learning process and frustrating at times. I can not help with the flow meter as i don’t have one, and would only be guessing. I hope all gets sorted for you.