DSC Alarm System plugin

Just checking in on the new DSC plugin. I was going over the IT-100 specs and was amazed that you can do anything with the alarm system. How is the new plugin coming along? ETA?
I am going to write Labview Code to read the alarm system while waiting for the new plugin to become available. Should be a fun project.
Regards
Tim Alls
AllSeas Yachts

Hey guys,

Question, is it the new plugin that will work with the WIZnet?

The old plugin can also work with the WIZnet :slight_smile:

It seems OK other than a couple of things like notifications not working.

Ok then is there to enter there a step by step that works? I have tried under ip on the device and entered the address to the WIZnet and under com I have tried with no results with it communicating to the IT-100. I tell it I have 13 zone and my dashboard now has 13 new devices. This shouldn’t be this difficult. I’m getting ready to return the it-100 and WIZnet and just get a TL-150 and just access my DSC from a browser or a Android app.

Just a quick note to help with debugging…
First thing to do is connect to a computer running a text terminal. The IT-100 can be set to output Date and Time every 4 minutes. Once you see it coming through on the terminal you know for certain that serial communications have been properly setup. After that connect to Vera. I had to switch to the USB adapter in the “will work” section of listed devices to use with Vera! The Prolific based units never did work for me.
Regards
Tim Alls
AllSeas Yachts

[quote=“computerjohn, post:84, topic:167215”]Ok then is there to enter there a step by step that works? I have tried under ip on the device and entered the address to the WIZnet and under com I have tried with no results with it communicating to the IT-100. I tell it I have 13 zone and my dashboard now has 13 new devices. This shouldn’t be this difficult. I’m getting ready to return the it-100 and WIZnet and just get a TL-150 and just access my DSC from a browser or a Android app.[/quote]Have you entered the IP and port number?

It needs to be entered like this:

XX.XX.XX.XX:XXXX
For example mine is 10.0.0.192:5000 and I believe based on the on WIZnet instructions I posted previoulsy you should have your WIZnet setup on the same port anyway!

Don’t return it, we’ll get you working with it! Also the TL-150 wont give you access to the sensors, which is a major plus for having this linked in.

Yup, I’m using 192.168.xxx.xxx:xxxx & still nothing. I tested the WIZnet using a loopback plug on it with software that I can test serial ports using an IP address. That pasted no problem. Is there anyway we can chat on this, this back & forth is getting no where…

[quote=“strangely, post:86, topic:167215”][quote=“computerjohn, post:84, topic:167215”]Ok then is there to enter there a step by step that works? I have tried under ip on the device and entered the address to the WIZnet and under com I have tried with no results with it communicating to the IT-100. I tell it I have 13 zone and my dashboard now has 13 new devices. This shouldn’t be this difficult. I’m getting ready to return the it-100 and WIZnet and just get a TL-150 and just access my DSC from a browser or a Android app.[/quote]Have you entered the IP and port number?

It needs to be entered like this:

XX.XX.XX.XX:XXXX
For example mine is 10.0.0.192:5000 and I believe based on the on WIZnet instructions I posted previoulsy you should have your WIZnet setup on the same port anyway!

Don’t return it, we’ll get you working with it! Also the TL-150 wont give you access to the sensors, which is a major plus for having this linked in.[/quote]

@computerjohn

OK, just to check a few things:

Which type of DSC panel do you have? (hopefully power series I assume)
Make sure the IT-100 is wired via a straight cable to the WIZnet.
If you do have a cable then it might be worth taking it out of the equation for the time being!
Probably also worth making sure the IT-100 is working with default baud rate settings (procedure in the user guide I think for shorting some pins).
Is the IT-100 light blinking? The could probably be skipped if you tested it already with the loopback program you were talking about!?

Now if you have confirmed all of the above then I think we should get you running the new alpha version of the Plug-in!

Have you got SSH access?..
Can you ping the address of the WIZnet from vera?

Start by delete the old plug-in from within Vera and save.
Then delete the old plug-in files from /etc/cmh-ludl/ with rm –i DSC (confirmation of delete will be required).

Download the new V2 plug-in from here:
http://code.mios.com/trac/mios_dscalarmpanel/changeset/31/trunk?old_path=%2F&format=zip

Unzip the 7 files.
Upload them in the luup developers area.
Create the new plug-in with the picture as an example.

Once created it’s going to tell you that the plug-in was created. Have a look at the room this was added to and check you can see the Plug-in icon (a computer chip)
Hit save.
Once Vera comes up then you’ll know if its working because it would have created 6 Zones for you! These will not get created if the plug-in cannot communicate with the panel.

If you’ve gotten this far then trip a door sensor to see if the red running man appears.

If none of the above worked then if you use Skype or MSN or something similar then I can PM you my address or even just an email.

Houston we have communication!!! YEAH!!! ;D

Great News!

A couple of problems though. I can not remote Arm. It stated it has been disabled. So I went to the DSC plugin and changed the false to true, saved & it restarted. I then received an error message under DSC, Startup Lua failed when it started back up. Did Guessed disable it for now? Also, I have 13 Zone in my house… Can I change it from 6 to 13 or has that been hard coded as well??

Thanks to Guessed for writing the plugin, Strangely’s help & figured a few things on my own. My DSC panel is now communicating to my IT-100 interface using a WIZnet Ethernet Module. After I gained access to my Vera via SSH program, I was able to view all my files & notice some confusing problems. I have posted this to help others, since this issues drove me crazy for 2 weeks.

First off, Uninstall the old DSC Plugin in Vera using the Vera’s web interface & save.

To gain access to Vera via SSH you will need a SSH client program. For Window users, I used a program called PuTTY. Very simple, no need to install, & it’s free.

Just download the .exe file at [url=http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html]http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html[/url]

After you download it, run PuTTY.exe. Under Host Name type your IP address to your Vera (for example: 192.168.1.xx), leave Port number 22 alone & change connection

type to SSH, & click Open.

At Login type: root (hit Enter)
As for the password: it is located on the label under your Vera unit assigned to WiFI Pass. (hit Enter) (Thanks Strangely!!)

You now should have access to your Vera’s Root directory, it should display the following:

BusyBox v1.15.3 (2010-06-10 18:19:49 PDT) built-in shell (ash)
Enter ‘help’ for a list of built-in commands.

| |.-----.-----.-----.| | | |.----.| |_
| - || _ | -| || | | || || |
|
_____|| |
||||___||| |____|
|
| W I R E L E S S F R E E D O M
Backfire (10.03, r21639) --------------------------

• 1/3 shot Kahlua In a shot glass, layer Kahlua
  • 1/3 shot Bailey’s on the bottom, then Bailey’s,
  • 1/3 shot Vodka then Vodka.

*** MiOS LTD. ( www.mios.com ) ***

*** WARNING : ***
*** Any changes made to the system without ***
*** guidance from MiOS support will VOID ***
*** your future Support requests ***

root@MiOS_xxxxx:~# (the xxxxx will be your Vera’s name)

Also note: I have no idea why there is a drink recipe on the shell banner. I did not place it there, but if you are under 21, please disregard!
WARNING!!! I CAN NOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH. If you delete or modify the wrong file you may brick your Vera!

You can not remove files in the cmh-ludl directory from the root directory. You will get an error message stating “Permission denied”.
Instead type chdir /etc/cmh-ludl (hit enter)

It should now say root@MiOS_xxxxx:/etc/cmh-ludl#
To display a list of all the files in this folder, type ls (hit Enter, BTW that is LS in lowercase)

This is where I noticed a big program. The DSC files that are required & have the name DSC in them, have to be in upper case. (For example: D_DSCAlarmPanel1.xml)

Mine were (D_DscAlarmPanel1.xml), in Vera just as the web, the names are case sensitive! So, when creating a device in Vera you type D_DSCAlarmPanel1.xml, but in the

folder it was D_DSCAlarmPanel1.xml. The plugin will not work, since the name is not correct.

So, I had to remove all files associated with the DSC files. To do this type: rm -l Dsc (hit Enter, or whatever name) It will confirm if you want to do this. type

y and hit Enter. After all unwanted files have been deleted. type ls (hit Enter) & see if all unwanted files have been removed. If they have type exit and hit Enter.

The PuTTY program will close.

Download the latest DSC Plugin files from Guessed. (I’m not going to post the link to lastest files, since I have not been told it’s ok.)
Extract the files onto a folder on your computer where you will rememeber where they are.

Access Vera via your browser. Create a room named Alarm & Save. Now click onto MiOS Developers icon.
Click onto Luup Files tab and scroll to the bottom. You should see Upload Files with a Browse button. Click the Browse button & locate the folder where you have

extracted the plugin files. Select the first file & do the same for all 7 files. Click On the check off box Restart Luup after upload & click on Go. This will upload

all 7 files onto the /etc/cmh-ludl folder in Vera. Give it a minute.

Now Click on the Create Device tab. Fill out the following fields. (Thanks again Strangely)
Description: DSC
UpnpDevFilename: D_DSCAlarmPanel1.xml
UpnpImplFilename: I_DSCAlarmPanel1.xml
IpAddress: 192.168.1.xx:xxxx (IP address to your WIZnet & Port Number)
Room: Alarm
Click on Create Device and give it another minute.

Here is an issue I came across, the Save option, the needed System & 6 Partition Devices where not being displayed in Vera. So, here is what I did. I clicked onto

one of the switches edit icon (the wrench). I changed the name of the switch & closed the popup window using the X button. The Save option was now showing. I

clicked on it & gave it a few minutes to save & restart. Low & behold my Alarm System & all 6 Partitions devices were now displaying. Also, the DSC plugin icon was a

computer chip, instead of the round ball it was showing. I opened my front door (zone 1) & it showed a guy running.

Hope this helps everyone else that has been pulling their hair!! I have a couple of issues that need to be address, but at least it’s now communicating! :slight_smile:

I have also spoken to rakstar the author of Home Buddy (Android OS) a couple of weeks ago and he told me that when I finally had it working, for me to send him the needed info & he would code it in Home Buddy so, you can control the alarm features. :smiley:

OK, created the additional zones. So, I’m currently running 13 zones.

To enable remote arming you must actually write “disarm” where false was written rather than true. (dont ask… this is an MCV requirement)

Are you kidding me? O K… LOL… Let me try it now.

To enable remote arming you must actually write “disarm” where false was written rather than true. (dont ask… this is an MCV requirement)[/quote]

I committed a fix for the error-reporting problem, so that it’ll give a nicer error/warning when the [tt]EnableRemoteArm[/tt] (or [tt]EnableRemotePanic[/tt]) options have incorrect values, per the comments in this posting:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=5154.msg35068#msg35068

It’ll be picked up when we bundle (etc). You’ll still need to read the values from the [eventual] Wiki page, since I don’t want to make it obvious how to enable it for the “casual” hacker.

The acceptable Parameter values for [tt]EnableRemoteArm[/tt] are:
- All Arming and Disarming functions are disabled.
[tt]false[/tt] - i[/i] same as above
[tt]arm[/tt] - All Arming, and Stay-Arming, functions are enabled. Disarming is disabled.
[tt]disarm[/tt] - Allow all Arming and Disarming modes.

… or you can just read the source code, since it’s all in plain-text anyhow 8)

The exact values are not outlined, but the need for a general mode to “enable” this type of functionality, and not have it enabled out of the box, stems from the “legal” verbiage in one of their earlier Wiki pages here:

http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Luup_Priority_Projects

Great understandable… It works great my dear friend. I posted in detail how to correct the issues I was having. The lower case file names were a pain & I could of only seen that is SSH. I have all 13 zones running & seem to be working. But, I will be keeping my eyes open…

I do have a few questions, 1: Can I rename the title names? So instead of Zone 01 it will read Zone 01 Entrance, Zone 2 Garage, etc… 2: In the DSC plugin, it states Door Sensors, Motion, & Smokes. If I have more than zone 1 & 2 as door sensors can I place them there, instead of being setup as a motion? (Example Door: 1,2,4,7) 3: How the heck can I tell if the alarm is armed? The pad lock always shows unlocked even when armed… 4: Remote arming is not possible. I even tried to access it via MO on my Android phone & it shows the zones, but under DSC & even System it displays On & Off, neither one works. I just send my data to Rakstar of Home Buddy since that is the main Vera software I use on my Android phone, so he can get the arming fuctions to work, I hope…

If you have any other input that work be great or if you need some testing done, please let me know. Now that I have it working I can be a lot more help now.

John

To enable remote arming you must actually write “disarm” where false was written rather than true. (dont ask… this is an MCV requirement)[/quote]

I committed a fix for the error-reporting problem, so that it’ll give a nicer error/warning when the [tt]EnableRemoteArm[/tt] (or [tt]EnableRemotePanic[/tt]) options have incorrect values, per the comments in this posting:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=5154.msg35068#msg35068

It’ll be picked up when we bundle (etc). You’ll still need to read the values from the [eventual] Wiki page, since I don’t want to make it obvious how to enable it for the “casual” hacker.

The acceptable Parameter values for [tt]EnableRemoteArm[/tt] are:
- All Arming and Disarming functions are disabled.
[tt]false[/tt] - i[/i] same as above
[tt]arm[/tt] - All Arming, and Stay-Arming, functions are enabled. Disarming is disabled.
[tt]disarm[/tt] - Allow all Arming and Disarming modes.

… or you can just read the source code, since it’s all in plain-text anyhow 8)

The exact values are not outlined, but the need for a general mode to “enable” this type of functionality, and not have it enabled out of the box, stems from the “legal” verbiage in one of their earlier Wiki pages here:

http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Luup_Priority_Projects[/quote]

Arming & disarming is working… Thanks again my friend…

Guessed,

Another thing I forgot if you can shine some light on this possible glitch. If you unplug the WIZnet from the IT-100 interface (example: power, CAT5 cable, or serial cable) & reconnect it, the IT-100 no longer communicates in Vera. You can refresh the page & still nothing, but if I make a change that requires me to save & Vera goes through it’s loading process, it starts to communicate again. Any ideas??