Ecobee App Ported to Openluup

For those using this plugin. I just released version 2.1 on the AltAppStore which has a fix for the recent ecobee API update.

@rafale77 I’m currently using NEST but with all that happen with the NEST stuff, trying to find a new solution to replace my NEST…

As you are using an Ecobee… is it a best move to go from NEST to Ecobee ?

Hi @DesT,

I had both ecobee and nest and as I mentioned above, I ended up getting rid of both.
Ecobee was great but I eventually got tired of cloud server down time and getting ignored on their forum on my request to stop doing firmware push and allow users to determine when and what firmware to upgrade to instead. So I ended up moving to a fully local solution and wrote my own custom plugin to automate m HVAC much beyond what nest and ecobee could do…

Now you’re talking :wink:

That’s what I have in mind… no more “cloud based” hardware solution here too!

Can I know what you are doing to control your HVAC ?

My house has two floors causing a large temperature differential in both summer and winter for cooling and heating. I installed active vents: Keen on zigbee and ecovent for zwave on every single one of my forced air vents enabling me to control the temperature in each room. I automated the HVAC system synchronising motion sensors and window sensors:
I created a virtual house temperature which averages temperature in occupied rooms (motion sensors last tripped within the last 30min similar to what ecobee does)
When a room has a window open, the vent in that room will have its vent closed and the temperature in that room is no longer considered in the virtual house temperature.
Because of the two floors, I am also saving energy by creating a recycle mode turning only fan on when for example the outside temperature is below house average and the house is too hot and the average temperature downstairs is lower by >2C than the temperature upstairs and vice versa in the winter (outside temp above average temp preventing heat turning on). The recycle shuts off vents from one floor so all the air is pushed to the other floor unless of course the window in that room is open.
I also force the vent to be fully opened in the room recently occupied… It is really a plugin which I did not publish because I was too lazy to create an interface for it and hardcoded all the room id/upstairs/downstairs room ids and the various limits and thresholds.

Obvioulsy also coordinated house modes in it as well so temperature range and default vent positions for cooling or heating modes (depending on house temperature are set.

thanks for the info!

But which device you buy/installl to control the HVAC itself ? A regular zwave HVAC thermostat ?

I am using the remotec ZTS500 which resembles a bigger ecobee… I responded to your other thread.

yeah… worst case I can try to manage the humidifier manually with another device… in fact, I can convert it to an ON/OFF

Yeah That’s how I think I would do it using a low voltage relay. (suggest the vision/monoprice which works surprisingly well in spite of the LV feature not being mentioned in the specs)

Looks like it will be hard to find a Remotec ZTS-500 in Canada :frowning:

PM’d you a suggestion. Otherwise my second choice was the TRANE XR524 which I found for cheap back when I was shopping.