Ecobee Thermostat (by eZLO) Plugin

I think an even better question may be “Why is this plug-in included in the App Store before it’s ready for prime time?”

2 Likes

After this part, have you tried running step 3? What errors are you getting if you’re going through these two steps?

1. Then put the link from the result in a web browser and you should be able to account link

Ignore those devices, they should be invisible but they are part of the functionality.

P.S. If nothing else works, please talk to our support team as well.

I have followed all of the steps.
The Ezlo plugin installs OK and creates an I/O device.
The step to generate the link to Ecobee site works and Vera Smart Thermostat shows as a linked app on the Ecobee site, but the Ecobee thermostats never show on the Vera portal/App.
I spent some time with Vera Support today and they could not resolve either. They ended up loading the non-Vera plugin instead.

1 Like

I reassert, based on the preponderance of feedback here, that the ezlo Ecobee plug-in probably is not ready for general use and therefore does not belong in the App Store (yet).

2 Likes

I would agree, doesnt belong in the store. I got it setup, created all the devices, and i believe that was v1.1. I have since let it auto update to 1.2 and now get a Startup Lau Failed error when the plugin tries to load.

Reached out to support 5 days ago when i first reported that motion sensors didnt work or update (and associated temps it seems) and never got a response.

I may just pull it and try it again whenever 7.32 comes out. The old unofficial plugin Watou built was great other than the need to refresh the token every once in a while.

1 Like

@Sorin @melih

Just to make you guys aware… I submitted a ticket about this on Sept 25th (232379), so that you guys could pull logs of the errors for additional troubleshooting. The response times from Vera Support should be embarrassing to the company. I know things are a struggle with COVID but 22 days for an escalation isn’t acceptable.

Timeline for reference:
Sept 25 - Initial ticket opened via customer care link in vera. Specifically mentioned Sorins recommendation to contact customer support so logs could be pulled, and provided remote access code

Sept 29th - Disable remove access since I never got a response, and uninstalled the plugin.

Oct 1st - Initial response from Vera. Asking me to re-enable remote access. I reinstalled plugin, reenabled remote access and sent code.

Oct 6th, Emailed again saying vera had been throwing errors, hopefully somone had pulled logs. I disabled remote and removed the plugin

Oct 16th Got an email saying the issue was escalated to Tier 2, and he would try to fix it or send to the development team.

I’m sure phone support takes priority over email and other electronic methods of contact, but this cant be within your SLAs. I even get that this probably isnt a priority because the plug-in isnt supposed to work until the next firmware, and was released on accident… but 22 days?

1 Like

Hi Jared,

I’m sorry for the lack of updates on this but here’s what’s been happening on this front in the meantime. The development team together with the customer team has figured out from your logs that you have a different model of thermostat than our sample. More specifically you have one called (idtSmart) while our plugin works with the “appoloSmart” version, and because of this, a different data set is sent by the Ecobee servers which our plugin doesn’t currently recognize. The good news is that we’ve already started working on adding this new dataset to the plugin’s capabilities, and it might take a while for us to deploy a new test version but we’re on it. We’re hoping that once we have new version, you’ll be able to test it out and let us know how it works since we don’t have this specific version.

While they’re at it, then, could the “athenaSmart” model (ecobee 3 thermostat) also be added to the mix? That’s one of the ones I use.

The messed up API returns are part of what crippled the ecobee plug-in we’ve all been using from the App Store, so this is critical.

Find ALL their models at:
https://www.ecobee.com/home/developer/api/introduction/core-concepts.shtml#models

4 Likes

I have the nikeSmart The ecobee3 lite Smart model.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll pass this info to our dev team,

I have the EZLO plugin, and 2 Ecobee 4s. Once is working fine, and everything is great, but one shows “Cant be detected”. When i look at the APP it self, it shows only one ecobee device created. Any idea how i can get the second ecobee to “detect”

Thanks for the update @Sorin . I’m not too surprised with the versioning, as these thermostats are about 5 years old. The original version of the ecobee3 I believe. I wish support would have just communicated that they were able to grab the logs… after all that was the goal. Their communication lead me to believe they were handling this like any other ticket and wanted to troubleshoot it like a production plug-in. I’d be happy to test out the new version, just let me know when its ready for testing.

I’m sorry for the lack of updates on this but here’s what’s been happening on this front in the meantime. The development team together with the customer team has figured out from your logs that you have a different model of thermostat than our sample. More specifically you have one called (idtSmart) while our plugin works with the “appoloSmart” version, and because of this, a different data set is sent by the Ecobee servers which our plugin doesn’t currently recognize. The good news is that we’ve already started working on adding this new dataset to the plugin’s capabilities, and it might take a while for us to deploy a new test version but we’re on it. We’re hoping that once we have new version, you’ll be able to test it out and let us know how it works since we don’t have this specific version.

I have the nikeSmart The ecobee3 lite Smart model.

Can I second this? I’m about to buy a bunch of ecobee3 lite Smarts (aka nikeSmart) as they are one of the 3 current models currently being sold on Ecobee’s website and Amazon (and probably other retailers), the others being the ecobee4 and ecobeeSmart (https://www.ecobee.com/en-us/smart-thermostats/).

I’m hoping to tie them into my Veras at my vacation rentals (e.g. reset to “SmartAway” when a guest locks the door and leaves) and it would be a disappointment to discover the plugin doesn’t support that model.

BTW, I should note that I have several VR properties and a VeraPlus at each property, but I have a single Ecobee account (so that I can see all my thermostats at once in the Ecobee app on my phone). The old plugin seemed not to handle that gracefully (I could only ever get an authorization PIN for one Vera controller at a time). So I need to be able to link multiple Vera controllers to a single Ecobee account. Hopefully that works…if it’s not set up to do that, please consider this a feature request. :slight_smile:

If you can manage to also make the plugin work for the older siSmart model, I’ll consider that gravy as I do have two properties that have those installed. And also an ecobee4, although that oddly doesn’t appear in the API specs linked upthread, so :man_shrugging:

Hello folks. Been watching carefully as I have four ecobees in two homes that have been fairly stable for some time on the original plugin. Are you aware of the major changes coming to the Ecobee API on December 1? All tokens and pins are changing which will clearly break any existing plugin. The tokens will become JSON web signature strings up to 7K in size. Looks like a major rewrite would be required. Has someone been working to ensure the new Ezlo plugin will be compliant?

I just installed an ECObee5 with voice control. It is working fine. I notices the ECobee Thermostat ( by eZLO) plugin and installed it. The version is 1.2 of the plug in. My Vera Plus FW is 1.7.5186.
In the details of the app it says it created a device(#357) but there is no device anywhere in the device tab of he GUI and definitely not in the No Room area where you would expect. Is there something I missed.

Devices are created in apps/develop apps/create device.

@ElCid, I do see the device creation link where you suggest but am not sure that is what I need. Do you have an ECObee thermostat and are you using the new plugin from, this thread? When I install the plugin it creates a device but the device is not visible anywhere. Others in this thread intimate that a device wizard is added to the “Add Device” wizard list, but that is not the case either.
From the troubles I am having and the dialog in this thread, this has been an incredibly poor roll out of a feature that could have been great. It feels like Ezlo threw something over the fence hoping the community would debug it.

Sorry miss read your previous post .
Have you followed sorin’s instructions in post 12.
The device is invisible as its functional.
I do not own a ecobee but have install a couple for customers.

@ElCid, yes, I have completed the 3 steps and in my Ecobee account I have the Vera Smart Home Controller enabled.
There is nothing in the Vera GUI that indicates a device nor a way to use or control it with a scene or ReactorSensor. I understand that there is an invisible device but there must eventually need to be a visible device with properties that are usable.

Maybe be a model issue, Have you raised a supprt ticket?
so they can get your logs.