Energy suppliers Smart Meters

Hi. My UK Energy company is rolling out Smart meters, i was wondering if any one elses are.

First Utility will be rolling out SMET1 not 2
and they will not be HA compatable

Whats your thoughts on this and what are your energy compays doing. i for one will not let them turn on smart features unless the meter is compatible with my HA system

[quote=“ElCid, post:1, topic:195791”]Hi. My UK Energy company is rolling out Smart meters, i was wondering if any one elses are.

First Utility will be rolling out SMET1 not 2
and they will not be HA compatable

Whats your thoughts on this and what are your energy compays doing. i for one will not let them turn on smart features unless the meter is compatible with my HA system[/quote]

I’ve had a smart meter since 2013, ever since I had my solar panels installed. My Provider is Southern California Edison. I went to their website and was delighted to see that they had an entire program you can register with. I am only starting the process 6 years later and I will let you know how it goes for me. I guess the first thing I have to do is register my devices. I’m eager to see if I can somehow extrapolate the data and have it report to my VeraPlus Dashboard.

I received mine about a month ago, through American Electric Power. I got a free hub, have not bound it to the meter yet. It supports z-wave but I do not intend to replace Vera anytime soon. The hub uses an iPhone app but thus far I have not determine how to communicate with it outside the app.

I’m based in the Netherlands and almost everyone has a smart meter here.
I just bought a cheap USB to PS1 cable, so I can connect my Vera directly to the smart meter and get my energy and gas readings. It works really well!

My utility company is called Greenchoice and they also provide daily reading of your energy usage on their website. Before I used the cable, I used an API combined with a scene that runs every day to grab the energy readings from their website.

Many of the smart meters in the USA have Zigbee radios rather than a direct plugin connection. And then you have to buy a specific certified Zigbee device to pair with it such as the Rainforest Eagle. I’ve been using this with Vera successfully.