EZLO secure. OMG. What did I just buy?

4 months ago I bought vera secure and have been enjoying the functionality/flexiblity, power of building and adding my own Luup code to accomplish custom scenes such as turning my Netgear NAS units off/on when I arm my GE concord alarm system ,along wth some other cool things. The community has been hugely supportive.

Needless to say, I’ve been enjoying the Vera Secure. It’s been pretty solid now that I’ve finally got my z-wave network stabilized and associations/scenes created. It goes without saying that folks that decide to invest in a whole home filled with Z-wave devices, understand the invested time and effort it takes to get to the “optimal” setup.

So, I decided to get the new Ezlo Secure thinking I was going to get the same sort of functionality (or better) , along with a more “updated” hardware.….

I just received the Ezlo Secure/unboxed and pugged it in….Are you kidding me??
• Mobile UI only?? Really?
• I need to rebuild my z-wave network (65 devices) manually exclude/re-include into Ezlo, recreate all the scenes.
• No migration path; NO way to migrate from Vera Secure to Ezlo Secure. Tell me this isn’t so.
• No apps and no ability to do custom Luup code?
• And any Other stuff I haven’t identified in the first 15 minutes

Honestly, this feels like a big step backward so far. I mean, you can talk all you want about building a more scalable framework, better hardware but if you take huge strides backwards with the UX, it’s really going to alienate a huge segment of your current user base.

Unless someone can talk me off the edge and tell me I’m missing something, I’ll probably be moving away from these products; pushing amazon for a refund for my Vera secure and returning my Ezlo secure; looking to Homeseer or Home assistant for my home automation needs.

If your happy with your Vera Secure which it sounds like you are, then why not stick with that for a while longer.

The new Ezlo hubs are pretty much as you described at this stage and hopefully will come in to their own further down the road. They are still developing the platform in some areas and it will happen in time.

because I also know atrophy when I see it. i.e. two apps that I have been using, have recently stopped working and the response from oscar (who appaarently is the only support person on the vera team) told me that they wont be fixed.

Care to tell us more?

Tesla and MyQ apps.

I’m not familiar with those plugins as I don’t use them. I assume they are 3rd party plugins not made by Vera themselves. Have you asked on the threads for those plugins about your particular issues?

I thought Lua was still there, and a new API is there as well. It’s not great that no upgrade path is available though. I can imagine re-linking all those zwave devices would be a pain. I have the Elzo plus on order, but only about a dozen or so devices to move over. I have used a number of different plugins over the years, but nothing I can’t live without. I had to move as my Vera lite is not supported at all any more. I would stick to the Vera a while longer in your case. Any kind of move would be painful for at this time. Maybe in a year or two things will look different.

The Tesla app should be updated soon, I think @reneboer can give us more insight if he has the fix coming soon. MyQ unfortunately will probably never be fixed, because every few months MyQ change up their API breaking any integrations that they don’t natively do.

Best Home Automation shopping experience. Shop at getvera!

© 2020 Vera Control Ltd., All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Forum Rules