Ezlo VOI™ step-by-step guide with videos

The Edge is being used as the primary Linux dev platform for the Vera Hub’s - i’m sure it will be made available on the Plus when the firmware is actually ready to replace the current UI7 FW.

It’s very much not ready to be taking over existing users HAC duties in its current state.

Well, for me VOI is not working on the Edge with the ‘Linux’ software. It worked once on the Beta App, but never since. I’ll look into restoring the normal firmware as the Linux one is much to do anything with yet. A too long way still from being a successor to the current firmware. Sorry guys.

@reneboer.
Can you add please more details and describe the case where VOI is not working on the Edge with the ‘Linux’ software.

Hi @Oleh, I cannot link Alexa in the app anymore. If you select it when adding, you link it, but never shows in the app anymore. In the Alexa App a VOI device is shown, but with an offline status. Hence not usable.

O, and for Google Home i never get paste the login. After I enter the captcha code it ask for the password again. Infinite loop.

@reneboer: it is quiet here since 1,5 month. Is VOI still not working? Are you still testing this linux firmware and what is your experience till now? Enough basic requirements to make it worthwile to start testing?

1 Like

I use VOI everyday…
its embedded in my Scenes…

I am using the Linux Firmware on Ezlo hardware. I am running it on “Local Mode”…
its been running for weeks without any problem…
Zigbee onboarding was recently introduced into the apps…so now I have been testing the linux FW with zigbee products…I had one problem with a motion sensor (zigbee) after a linux fw update to my ezlo hardware…had to reset the motion sensor for that…
apart from that…its humming along nicely…

Hi @Mai_Pensato,

With the Linux version 1.16 it started working (now on 1.18). I have not done more than just a few tests as i only have a few test devices on the Linux Edge that not control anything (cannot switch until it links with a Vera/openLuup somehow and hopefully plugins and a browser GUI. I know in theory this can link to it to a Vera, but only to send commands. Not bidirectional).
It mostly seem to work well, although you do get the normal Alexa/Google delays. One benefit is that Alexa will hear you and understand the command better than with Voice (cannot use my native tong and after 35 years i still have an accent it seems to have issues with :slightly_smiling_face:).
As initially did not work I now have about 20 copies of Alexa in the device list and you cannot remove the not working ones. Makes it hard to create scenes as I have to pick the one working from the 20 that all are called the same. Annoyingly they appear at the top of the device list (well, it starts with A and all in No Room as you cannot put them in a room) so I have to scroll through 20 bits I cannot use for a real device.

The Linux firmware does what what it should, but it lacks too much functionality for me to do real testing. It provides the remote control promoted, but to me lacks the integration and automation part for Home Automation. The moment the example scripts for the local API get shared (documentation is missing some key information to connect) and I can call the API I can test more and look at moving some active devices and see how that goes.

Cheers Rene

2 Likes

@reneboer: thank you for your unbiased/objective review. Conclusion: very long way to go before the ezlo platform will have same functionality and integrations as the current Vera platform (and several competitors). It seems like @melih has decided no development at all will be done anymore on current vera platform (no firmware updates, no new devices integration anymore). Difficult decision to be made should I stay or should I go?

1 Like

I’m going to carry on on exrooted 7.29 until that stops meeting my needs. I’ll make a call then, I think

C

Hi Mai,

Yup that sums it up for now. Ezlo seems to take a different course than Vera was on. I’m staying put for now as my HA does what it should. If forced to move it will be decision time as there is a lot to choose form.

I do wonder what is happening with all the other Mios based platforms as Vera is not the only one. It was also where they got most their money from, not from selling controllers. Vera’s where often seen as the beta (alpha?) user base before it rolled to the third parties. Are all those basically dead as well? The www.mios.com web site suggests the shop is still open.

Choices, choices. Well, do not have to wonder where to go over the weekends :grimacing:

Cheers Rene

1 Like

Mios has become a full blown OEM capability. Anyone who want to build a brand new IoT product MiOS is helping them provide with everything they need the 5 pillars that they need! Hardware, Firmware, Cloud, Customizable Apps and full SDK/APIs.

Hi

I just created my first two scenes using Ezlo VOI and Google Home and it worked perfectly first time with no issues.

I have an essential oil diffuser that is WIFI and works with the eWeLink cloud app.

Previously I had no native way to integrate this device in to Vera.

What I would like to be able to do next is to create a virtual switch on / off device on the Atom and have that virtual switch send the correct VOI commands to Google Home for on / off etc.

I know how to create virtual devices on my regular Vera Plus and I use PLEG logic engine to send the required commands when the switch is turned on or off, for some of my other integrations with things.

However I do not know how to do this on the Atom / Ezlo platform ?

Here are some screen shots of the setup process for the Atom scenes with VOI.

1 Like

Dear @cw-kid,
This is a feature that we have been working on in the few weeks as Dashboard Configurator team :slight_smile:

We will let you create a virtual device which works as you described; once you give us full name of that device we will detect available capabilities (we will start with on/off and dim then gradually increase those capabilities) then let you set a virtual device, so even if you have no ezlo/vera hub you will be able to control those devices.
This feature will be presented in August, as the dashboard configurator will be.

3 Likes

Has anyone in Uk, using EU amazon servers got VOI to work with Alexa?

I just connected my Amazon account to VOI OK but I haven’t tried to control any devices via VOI / Alexa yet.

I will try it in a bit.

In the Vera mobile app if I go to VOI and then select Amazon Alexa, I get a spinning circle for a while.

Then I can see the “Chat with Amazon Alexa” if I select that and enter a command to turn on a device it doesn’t work. It says:

I didn’t find any Smart Home devices under “my name” account. To get started go to the Smart Home section of the Alexa app.

In my Alexa app I have my Vera devices and scenes listed OK via the native Alexa / Vera integration.

So no it doesn’t appear to be working. Google Home VOI is working for me however.

In your alexa appp uder alexa devices(echo/dots etc) can you see VOI and is it online?
also try setting countdown timer
or
simon says blah blah

It says VOI is offline in the Alexa app

Just checking it’s not just me. Ezlo is aware of the issue.

In the Vera app under Amazon Alexa chat, if I say “Simon says hello” I get a text response back in the app saying hello. So that seems to work.

Alexa doesn’t actually say hello out load however.