Fault Tolerant Schedules

Folks,
When you use ABSOULTE time schedules there is a chance that the schedule will NOT fire because Vera was off/reloading/rebooting at the time.

One way to work around this is to have a second timer Fail Safe timer. I would schedule it for a couple of minutes after the first one. Then a Fail Safe condition would fix it, so the rest of your logic will work normally.

Input Schedule:
NormalTimer On at 6:00:00 Off at 20:00:00
FailSafeTimer On at 6:00:03 Off at 20:00:03

Condition:
FailSafeCondition NormalTimer != FailSafeTimer

Action:
FailSafeCondition Using Advanced Tab
Device: This PLEG Device
Action: ToggleTimer
TimerName: NormalTimer

ToggleTimer is what “Do it now” uses.
NOTE: That the delta time needs to be longer than than the “Vera Not Running” time. If you often have power outage of 5 minutes you might want to make the delta time 10 minutes.
NOTE: That the Status command will show you the last time you had a Failed Timer start (Last true time for FailSafeCondition).
[hr]
I will think about building this into PLEG.

Thanks Richard. Understand a different approach to eliminate Vera missing timer operation is by setting a schedule with start time and an interval of time instead of end time. In this case when Vera restarts the Pleg checks the condition and operation executed. Please confirm.

Yet another issue is the Toggle Timer at the advanced tab - what does it do? How is it used with PLEG?
I’m looking for way to end a timer - will try to explain the need…
I have 2 Led lights that are operated through 3 relays by a single switch (the switch activate the first relay on and off in a sequence such that 2 other relays activate the 2 Led lights) . In order for the relays not to get heated I have put some conditions with timers to swap the relays after a certain time. In case the light is turned off (through a virtual switch) a condition operates the switch to activate the relays so that the light will go off. Sometimes this happens while the timer for a specific relay (say relay 3) is still active. Now if for some reason the light is re activated I would like the other relay (#2) (and timer) To start. I’m looking for a way to end the timer of relay 3 when the light is off.
Hope this is somehow clear. Could the Toggele relay be used in this case?
Thanks.

[quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:1, topic:186200”]Folks,
When you use ABSOULTE time schedules there is a chance that the schedule will NOT fire because Vera was off/reloading/rebooting at the time.

One way to work around this is to have a second timer Fail Safe timer. I would schedule it for a couple of minutes after the first one. Then a Fail Safe condition would fix it, so the rest of your logic will work normally.

Input Schedule:

Condition:

Action:

NOTE: That the delta time needs to be longer than than the “Vera Not Running” time. If you often have power outage of 5 minutes you might want to make the delta time 10 minutes.
NOTE: That the Status command will show you the last time you had a Failed Timer start (Last true time for FailSafeCondition).
[hr]
I will think about building this into PLEG.[/quote]

Richard, was this ever built into newer versions of PLEG - this issue is a (too) frequent occurrence for me and I’m sure for others as well.

Thanks,

M

I need to write some test code and see if MCV provided the api change needed to fix this problem.
They told me they would add it (it should have only been a couple line change to their code.)
If they have I will make the PLEG changes needed to make absolute schedules work in the context of a restart.

That would be amazing. Thank you. (assuming this would work on schedules tied to sunset/sunrise as well?

Thanks,

M

[quote=“resq93, post:3, topic:186200”][quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:1, topic:186200”]Folks,

Input Schedule:

Condition:

Action:

[hr]
I will think about building this into PLEG.[/quote]

Richard, was this ever built into newer versions of PLEG - this issue is a (too) frequent occurrence for me and I’m sure for others as well.

Thanks,

M[/quote]

Not sure what im doing wrong: I have the following

day on 0500 off at 1700
x5am on 0505 off at 1705

am_failsafe set to (day!=x5am)

set the action to include an alert so i can watch it.

It triggers every day at both 5a and 5:05 (and 17:00 and 17:05)

what am i doing wrong?

Recently had a reboot (I assume) event a few times and missed a schedule.

I’ve read a lot about moving to interval timers instead and may do that.

However, I then came across this thread where a “fix” may be in the works. I thought I’d check in on the status before updating all of my schedules/logic.

Thanks!

MCV has not notified me that they made the change … but they have made the change … I will test and them make the appropriate PLEG changes.

Thanks, RTS. I’ll stand-by for the time-being.

Happy to change my logic later if this doesn’t work out.

Appreciate the update.

This would be an amazing addition. Thanks!

Has this been updated?

Thank you

M

Following this topic.

Richard,

Do you think this will be incorporated soon? Lost power in the storm and all schedules (many) needed to be toggled by hand for everything to work again.

Much appreciated along with all your other work on this platform.

m

Hi Richard - any progress on this? Would love to have this feature incorporated soon.

Ty
M

Richard,

Was this incorporated into the new version? This is a very important fix for me.

Thanks!

M