Fibaro Error handling

I’m currently installing several dimmers and double switches around the house, and these are capable of sending error reports according to the manual.
The Double switch has Over current and Over heating, and the dimmer has several error messages.

This would be a good thing to get notifications for, but how can i get i.e. Reactor to trigger on such events?

If noone in here has tried this; how do i filter the log for incoming z-wave frames?
I have one double switch I can overload to induce an error message, so if i can see what’s recieved…

Ok, so it seems like this comes in as alarm events, but is used for nothing?

This is what my Double switch sent on an overcurrent event:
ZWaveNode::HandlePollUpdate_Alarm node 33 device 200 v1type: 0 v1level: 0 source: 0 status: 255 type: 8 event: 6 parms_len: 0 parms: 2 code: (null) <0x767c8520>

Looking at Homeseer, this is what they have to work with on these events. (the site is in norwegian, byt the illustrations are english)

@rigpapa Is this something you can retrieve and work with in Reactor somehow?

I’m traveling and have limited internet access. Reactor will respond to any state variable change on any device. If the alarm message causes a change in a state variable, then yes. If the message is ignored by Vera or does not cause a variable change, then no. The 3.5 Reactor beta has a “device spy” (Tools tab on any Reactor Sensor) that helps you discover what variables change on a device.

Ok… I havn’t found a variable that reflects these events, so the device spy may help.

What puzzles me is that Vera haven’t implemented these very nice functions… Wouldn’t anyone want a device notification on these events when the devices provide them?

i.e “mains disconnected” could be used to identify a power outage…

It’s not only Fibaro devices that send these error messages, most quality devices will have these capabilities/options.
If you use Homeseer you will find them added as child devices. However, it’s really a question of what do you do with the information, if the device goes over voltage, it will shut down. No error message is required as it doesn’t work.
In all of the years of Z-Wave usage I’ve never had one that has sent a message so it’s use would be extremely limited.

Can’t say i agree with that. My fibaro units (and probably many others) can send a lot of useful info that i would want to know about, “Mains disconnected”, “Load error” (bulb needs replacing), “Over Current”, … When something fails its godd to have all information available to use as little time fixing it as possible. :wink:

When my Double switch 2 had “Over Current”, it shuts down and sends the message, but it still works if you reenable it.

I would want a push notification on these events, but thats me. :slight_smile: A lot of the other controllers (Hass, HS, Openhab, etc…) have this, so why not vera? @Sorin?

I’ll investigate if this comes in as a variable i can react on later…

Ok, so I tried the reactor Device spy (Cool feature!), and induced an over-current, and turned it back on after…

Watching #201 Lys - Benk - Kj; waiting for changes in device states...
urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1 / Watts = 1962.6
urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1 / Log = 1962,18,1962,1581250709,2910
urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1 / Log = 1962,18,1962,1581250709,2910
urn:upnp-org:serviceId:SwitchPower1 / Status = 0
urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1 / Watts = 0.0
urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1 / Log = 0,20,1962,1581250713,2914
urn:upnp-org:serviceId:SwitchPower1 / Status = 1
urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1 / Watts = 16.0
urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1 / Log = 16,19,1962,1581250725,2926
urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1 / Watts = 18.7
urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1 / Log = 18,18,1962,1581250735,2936

It doesn’t seem to change any variables useable for sending a notification?
It seems like it is a set of tables (of status messages) common to z-wave units, so why doesn’t vera use tham when so many others do?

This is one of the most requested low level feature (the ability to get any zwave message via lua code) but it’s unfortunately not available. This could make new plugin for not already supported devices a very easy task. Try to open a support ticket, so they know we really want it.