Fibaro FGD 212 Not diming

Just installed an FGD212 dimmer to run sum LED strip lights. The take 50w through a 24v transformer.

I have wired it to the 3 wire system with a single switch.

I can switch them on and off via the Vera app but I can’t seem to dim them. The LEDs are dimmable so not sure what’s happening.

I’m using a wall toggle switch. I can switch the LED strip on but it doesn’t turn off.

When I try to drag the slider to select a dim level it just goes back to 100%.

Should it work straight out of the box or do I need to configure something?

Many thanks

I’ve never used a Fibaro Dimmer 2 module with an LED strip before, I use the Fibaro RGBW modules for LED strips.

However have you run the calibration routine on the Dimmer 2?

User manual here.

Also you can monitor parameter 33 with 1 byte Dec. What’s its value, 0 or 1?

0 – Load recognized as dimmable
1 – Load recognized as non-dimmable

The Dimmer 2 requires a minimum wattage load of 25W I think.

If your LED strip is lower than 50W which is likely you may also need the Dimmer Bypass 2 device for LED bulbs.

As I said probably better to use a Fibaro RGBW module for LED strips rather than a Dimmer 2

Thanks for the answer.

Can I ask how I go about monitoring channel 33?

Make model of led strip and make model of transformer?

Go to devices control page and click device options, then click “add configurationsetting”.

Parameter 33 shows as 1

The light is a sensio strip and driver. The driver is 24v 30w. I have two wired on the same circuit.

From the little i can gather form your info , it looks to me like the transformer is not dimmable.

This is the driver

https://www.toolstation.com/sensio-led-driver/p16560

This is the led strip

The strip is dimmable but the driver looks like it is non dimmable. Does it say dimmable any where on the driver?

this the dimmable version of the driver

but i think it dims via app or alexa, not via a dimmer. As always with toolstation/screwfix, very little info on product is given.

Why does the LED driver need to be Dimmable?

Does the driver not just provide DC voltage for the LED strip.

The Fibaro module is the dimmer.

How would you wire up a mains voltage Fibaro Dimmer 2 to a DC LED strip ?

This is how its meant to be done with a Fibaro RGBW module:

Different fibaro model. He could use the rgbw fibaro device and use one channel per strip, if compatible. Or find a standard 24v dimmable driver.

Thanks guys. I have emailed the manufacturer to find out if my model of driver is dimmable. Waiting for their reply.

One other thing. When I use the wall toggle switch I can switch the lights on, but it won’t switch them off. That seems wierd.

Here’s the manufacturers website but I can’t seem to find my driver with the same model number.

https://www.sensio.co.uk/Kitchen-Lighting/drivers.html

What type of light switch are you using, just a bog standard toggle switch? When pressed up it stays in that position and when pressed down it stays in that position.

You may need to change parameter 20 to a value of 1.

Choose between momentary, toggle and roller blind switch.

Available settings:
0 – momentary switch
1 – toggle switch
2 – roller blind switch – two switches operate the Dimmer 2 (S1 to brighten, S2 to dim)
Default setting: 0
Parameter size: 1 [byte]

I use 3 position Momentary or retractive light switches with my Fibaro Dimmer 2 modules.

So I can also easily dim the lights up or down at the wall switch and in addition program double clicks and triple clicks to do things like run Vera scenes or control other none physically connected lights, like my side lamps.

Thanks.

Mines a bog standard toggle switch. I’ll check the settings and revert.

Thanks ElCid. Just changed parameter 20 and the toggle switch now works perfectly.

Just need to sort the dimming now :frowning:

I think ElCid is right about needing a Dimmable LED driver.

You also need to run the calibration routine, so it works out the connected load type.

1. Force auto-calibration

Changing value of this parameter will force the calibration process. During the calibration parameter is set to 1 or 2 and switched to 0 upon completion.

Available settings:
0 – readout
1 – force auto-calibration of the load without FIBARO Bypass 2
2 – force auto-calibration of the load with FIBARO Bypass 2
Default setting: 0
Parameter size: 1 [byte]

I’d force the calibration routine to run now and after check again parameter 33, has it changed from non Dimmable?

If not then you likely will need that Dimmable LED driver.

I set parameter 13 to 1 . I saved changes. The light switches itself on then off then I got an error message saying parameter failed to save. Parameter 13 shows 0.

What did I do wrong.

That’s normal I think.

If the lights themselves turned on and off then the calibration routine has run.

You can now remove the parameter 13 and check parameter 33 again, what does that parameter say now ? 0 or 1 ?