Fibaro motion sensor turns light off even when there is motion

I’m using Vera Lite with UI7 and I have a Fibaro motion sensor to control one of the lights

This is working pretty much as I intended it to in that if someone goes in the room and it’s dark the light will be turned on, but instead of keeping the light on if someone moves about the light just gets turned off after 4 minutes which is the time I set for the motion alarm cancellation delay

I’m using version 1.7541 as every version since has messed up my Aeon labs motion sensors. With new code versions a light will be turned on but then straight back off so after weeks of working with tech support I gave up and reverted back to this code version

The settings I’m using on the Fibaro sensor are as follows although some are defaults that were pulled across when it was set up:
1 = 10 (1 byte)
6 = 240 (2 byte)
8 = 2 (1 byte)
9 = 10 (2 byte)
20 = 15 (1 byte)
24 = 0 (1 byte)
40 = 80 (2 byte)
42 = 900 (2 byte)
64 = 900 (2 byte)

I’ve set up two scenes in Vera; One to turn the light on and another to turn the light off

The first scene turns the light on if motion is detected, whether its armed or disarmed, but this will only happen if the light sensor on the Fibaro is detecting the light level to be below the threshold that I’ve set. The second scene just turns the light off when it’s told that no motion is detected

There’s no Luup code involved in these scenes as none is needed

It would seem that the problem is with the Fibaro sensor itself but is it possible that Vera is overriding the sensor and has told it to ignore further motion detection events?

Or is there something here that I’m missing?

Your problem is parameter 8 and 9. And possibly 20. You are saying to only monitor for motion durring the night (param 8 ), but then set the day threshold to 10lux (param 9) which is way too low. Your lights that are coming on put out way more than 10lux. So you come into the dark room the motion fires, the lights come on raising the lux above 80 (param 20) which is higher than 10lux signaling it is now day time which disables the motion sensor, so no further motion is detected to keep the lights on. Then your scene fires to turn off the lights dropping the lux back down (if truly dark below 10lux) starting the cycle over. You need to set param 9 higher than the lux your lights put out when they are on (which is hopefully dimmer than full day light coming in from out side or you will always be in night mode).

Really the only way this will work is if normally durring a sunny day the lux is higher than your lights. You will need to mess a bit with param 9 and 20 to get it right. It can be a little tricky to find a set of values that work for you. If your lights are always brighter than the outside in full sun than you will have to do something more fancy (I use PLEG instead of param 8 for this reason so I am only using the lux value before the lights were triggered to keep the lights on not the current LUX of the lights)

Also with your current configuration there is no need to set param 42 or 64 since you are using defaults to signal light and temp based on changes in value. You are just killing you battery by adding that.

Lastly if you can get the lux monitoring right you might as well in this case just use direct association of the Fibaro to the light instead of using scenes as the direct association will do exactly what you scenes are doing, with no need for the Vera at all, unless you plan to do something more fancy with your scenes later.

Thanks for the reply

I was trying to take advantage of the day/night feature on this Fibaro sensor and use the built in light sensor to decide when to turn the light on
The sensor is in a hallway with no window so it gets quite dark even during the day, especially during the winter when the doors are closed
What I didn’t factor in was that turning the light on would in turn disable the day/night feature
Based on what you’ve said I’ve disabled this day/night feature and added some Luup code to the scene. The motion sensor is now operational at all times but the scene will only trigger if the reading from the light sensor is low

I wasn’t aware extra settings would impact the battery life so I’ll remove the ones not needed and check other devices to see if they have any defaults as well that can be removed
I can’t think why I would put defaults in e.g. the tamper one, param 20, I’ve no need for
But I find Vera Lite to be quite strange at times as for instance deleting some of these default settings on the motion sensor resulted in the light sensor disappearing. Some time later it came back and with a different ID number so not only have I had to rename it again but also change the ID in the Luup code I just added
And there was a lot of code upgrades that messed things up some time back so who knows how these defaults crept in?

Thanks again for your help though, problem solved :slight_smile: