Fortrezz flow meter plugin

Sorry, this is a repeat of a topic I posted on “Water, Pool, and Irrigation” board here, which has gone without a response. I know there are a couple of folks here who have used the newer Fortrezz Water meter plugin and am hoping they see this topic here. Thanks for any help.

I have a vacation house with a FortrezZ outside water shut off valve plus a FortrezZ water flow meter. The latter has been nonfunctional for Vera for a year or so until FortrezZ paid for the development of a plug in which is now available through Vera. I installed the plug in at my vacation house and reincluded the flow meter and it started counting gallons of water used which was fine. I was in Home Mode on my Vera Plus at that point. I have not updated Firmware on my Vera for a while (perhaps a year, given all of the issues that folks here have experienced).

At any rate, I had to leave my water on when I departed to my primary residence as I have contracted to have a front walkway installed plus replacing my patio in back with pavers (my flagstone patio and walkway were failing badly). The installers needed access to water, and unfortunately my outside spigots are on my inside water line. At any rate, when I went to Away mode, which turns on my light scenes and motion detectors inside the house. I started getting flow meter tripped and untripped messages presumably due to the paver installers using the outside water–like more than 100 per day, which is annoying, jamming up my phone and makes detecting ‘real’ issues (like my tripping of my inside motion detectors) difficult to detect among the onslaught of Vera messages.

So my question is whether there is any way to turn off the reporting of tripping and untripping of my flow meter in the away mode. BTW, the flow meter is NOT included in any scenes that I have on my Vera, so these are native responses of the flow meter and its plug in.

Thanks for any help.

go to the dashboard, then my modes

click on the arrow.

make sure “choose sensor to arm” is set to disarmed. that should prevent notifications to be sent, if the device is listed here. this will alter the “ModeSetting” variable. if not alert is configured, its value should be set to “1:;2:;3:;4:”.

The flow meter isn’t listed under my modes. However, in the Advanced Setting of the flow meter under the variable tab, the mode setting is listed as follows: “1:;2:A;3:;4:A” Are you saying that should be changed to what you listed above:
“1:;2:;3:;4” without the A’s, that this will change the alerts that I am receiving only in away mode. I am seeing those alerts in home mode as well but those alerts aren’t triggering messages to my phone. I assume this would turn off all of those alerts? If you don’t know the answer, I can certainly experiment with this myself. Thanks for your help.

Exactly. 2 is away, 4 is vacation

http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/House_Modes

Thanks for the education. That worked. The workers just finished the part of the job where they need water, so I can keep the water off in the Away mode, which I prefer to do anyway.

I don’t know the way this device works, but it’s strange it’s mapped as a security device.

With the plugin for SmartThings, this device is supposed to be able to tell you when you have an extended time of very low flow or a short time of extremely high flow, so that you can put together a scene to have a water flow valve shut off. With the current plugin for Vera which isn’t nearly as robust as that for SmartThings, it apparently only tells you when the flow changes from nothing to flow and then from flow back to nothing, and alerts you to that flow. It may do more than that but that is all I can see that it is doing. It also counts gallons used which could be useful for some. At any rate, reporting when the meter detects flow and then when it changes back to no flow isn’t particularly useful for me. Fortrezz indicated that they might provide a more sophisticated plug in if more people with Vera were using it. Right now, the only use I am getting out of the device is to know when water is flowing and the gallon counter, which is better than without the plug in where it was pretty much nonfunctional.

1 Like