GE 14294 Operation

Is anyone else able to issue zwave commands to this device and have it ramp up as it is designed to do?
It seems this device only ramps when ramping down to 0%. Any other changes make the switch jump straight to the defined level.

Additionaly, aren’t we supposed to be able to set the “LoadLevelTarget” without turning on the light?
In the urn:upnp-org:serviceId:Dimming1 definition I read, the dimming and switchpower services were independent.
I should be able to (“urn:upnp-org:serviceId:Dimming1”,“SetLoadLevelTarget”…) without the switch turning on… Is that incorrect?

http://upnp.org/specs/ha/UPnP-ha-DimmableLight-v1-Device.pdf

2.3. Theory of Operation The lighting control device is comprised of a Switch Power and a Dimming Service. The switching component is serially connected to the dimming component. The dimmer?s settings will not be physically realized by the load until the switch is on.

The correct process would then be…
luup.call_action(“urn:upnp-org:serviceId:Dimming1”, “SetLoadLevelTarget”, {newLoadlevelTarget = “100”}, device)
luup.call_action(“urn:upnp-org:serviceId:SwitchPower1”,“SetTarget”,{ newTargetValue=“1” },device)

Also, the wiki (http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Luup_Variables) mentions that LoadLevelStatus should report the last known dim level when the switch was turned off, but in my experience, this always reports 0 when the switch is turned off or on.

Apologizes if this has been visited already, I’m new to zwave and the forums.

I don;t know about this model’s ramping. Older models had parameters that allowed control of the ramp behavior. Check you manual if this model has the same.

You cannot set the load level target without turning the switch on. SetLoadLevelTarget is a dimmer command that turns the switch to that dim level. SwitchPower is an On/Off command fro binary switches, that also happens to be supported by dimmers. It is not independent of SetLoadLevelTarget, it simply sets the target at 0 or 100.

LoadLevelStatus returns the current live, or at least the last reported, status. Vera has no inbuilt memory of previous status. Last known means last reported. It should be current, but if the report wasn’t received by Vera, it may be outdated and incorrect.

I did not realize until this post how terribly wrong that Wiki entry is. Perhaps it describes the way it use to be, but it’s not correct today, as you’ve seen.

Manual and info found here:

https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1442

or More specifically here:

https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1442/configs

Ramp rate and such looks to be all the same parameters and values as older GE switches which is #'s 7-12.

Dim Rate Adjustments
Both the number of steps (or levels) that the dimmer will change
and the timing of the steps can be modified to suit personal
preferences. The timing of the steps can be adjusted in 10
millisecond intervals.
1… When Receiving a Z-Wave Dim Command
? Parameter 7 (number of steps or levels)
? Parameter 8 (timing of the steps)
? Length: 1 Byte
? Valid Values:
Parameter 7 (default = 1) Valid Values: 1-99
Parameter 8 (default = 3) Valid Values: 1-255
2. Manual Control Dimming (pressing the Dimmer?s rocker)
? Parameter 9 (number of steps or levels)
? Parameter 10 (timing of the steps)
? Valid Values:
Parameter 9 (default = 1) Valid Values: 1-99
Parameter 10 (default = 3) Valid Values: 1-255
3. When Receiving an All-On or All-Off Command
? Parameter 11 (number of steps or levels)
? Parameter 12 (timing of the steps)
? Valid Values:
Parameter 11 (default = 1) Valid Values: 1-99
Parameter 12 (default = 3) Valid Values: 1-255

Forgot to update this post.
I received an email back from Jasco. Apparently there is a hidden parameter (6) that is not published anywhere that will modify zwave command ramping operation.
I tested this and it works perfectly. I hope this helps someone else.

These advanced operations are mentioned in the website address referenced in the product manual, but the there is currently no specific mention of the 14294 model, or this parameter 6.
http://www.ezzwave.com/config/

Hello

Thank you for contacting Jasco Products Company.

Here is the response from our Product Managers:

We apologize for the amount of information we need to provide to accurately answer your question, but unfortunately there is some bad information being spread about what you are describing.

First and foremost, the GE dimmers 12724 and 14294 do not require a patch or bug fix, as there is not a problem or incorrect behavior. Both units operate correctly as they were designed.

All of our previous dimmers (including 12724) used to ramp slowly when being sent a level specific command (1-100). We then updated our 12724 product with enhancements that added additional routing options and to take advantage of the latest Z-Wave technology. When we did this, we had to upgrade the behavior of the dimmers to the latest spec as defined for Z-Wave certification. This new specification requires that when receiving a level specific command (1-100) the device is required to immediately jump to that level.

? Any Z-Wave Classic Dimmer (including 12724) that has VER 3.0d and EARLIER on the back of the product will ramp slowly to the specific level when issued a level specific command.
? Any Z-Wave Classic Dimmer (including 12724) that has ?VER 3.0e? (This is the last version produced on our Z-Wave Classic products) on the back carries this new behavior
? Any Z-Wave Plus Dimmer (including 14294), will carry this new behavior.

Because this is a requirement for Z-Wave certification, the product must ship with the newest behavior as default. HOWEVER, understanding that our customers may want the previous behavior, we developed a new configurable parameter into our latest GE 14294 and Jasco 14321 In-Wall Smart Dimmer.

? Dim Up/Down rate
? Parameter Number: 6
? Size: 1 Byte
? Valid Values:
o 0 (Default) ? New Required Behavior (Instantly move to level)
o 1 ? Ramp up and down slowly (3.0d and previous versions behavior)

You can determine if the GE 14294/Jasco 14321 has this feature by verifying the manufacturer date code on the front of the Dimmer in the bottom right hand corner. It will be a small white sticker with 4 numbers.
? The First 2 numbers are the Year it was Manufactured (example: 17 = 2017)
? The Last 2 numbers are the Week it was Manufactured (example: 07 = 7th week 2017, or 3rd week of February 2017

Any GE 14294 manufactured ON OR AFTER 1651 will contain this new parameter 6
Any Jasco 14321 manufactured ON OR AFTER 1705 will contain this new parameter 6

All of our GE and Jasco branded Z-Wave Plus products have the capability for Over-The-Air updates to update the firmware. With that said, this is a feature that most if not all hubs/controllers have not implemented yet. The Over-The-Air update functionality is a Z-Wave standardized command class. If a hub starts to support it, then the hub will be able to update any Z-Wave product (including ours) that supports this ability. At this time, it is not expected that the Update function will be open to consumers to pick and choose firmware because this could potentially harm the device if incorrect firmware were loaded onto a product. Instead, the update function provides a way for the manufacturer to help the hub suppliers send updated firmware to a product in the event a bug or incorrect behavior was found.

We appreciate your coming to us with your questions and hope this has helped explain what you are seeing. Please let us know if there is anything further we can assist you with.

I hate to sound ignorant but I have never done any of the special parameters on Vera and I can?t find specifics for the GE 14294.
Could someone please explain to me specifically how I set my switch for my blue LED to always be off?
I assume you select the device and then Advanced → Params. I saw someone mentioning how to turn off the blue LED on the previous version of the switch but the font they used made it indecipherable.

Thank you

[quote=“sdtoddl, post:5, topic:197000”]I hate to sound ignorant but I have never done any of the special parameters on Vera and I can?t find specifics for the GE 14294.
Could someone please explain to me specifically how I set my switch for my blue LED to always be off?
I assume you select the device and then Advanced → Params. I saw someone mentioning how to turn off the blue LED on the previous version of the switch but the font they used made it indecipherable.

Thank you[/quote]

Per my prior link, (http://www.ezzwave.com/config/) the LED is is typically Param 3.
So in Vera, go to your device, then select “Device Options”.
Now click the “Add Configuration Settings” button.
You’ll get a new box above with a default variable of ‘1’.
Change that ‘1’ to a ‘3’. Change Data Size to “1 byte dec”. Set “Desired Value” to ‘2’.
Click “Save Changes”.
Thats it!

FYI…
LED Light
Parameter No: 3
Length: 1 Byte
Valid Values = 0, 1 or 2 (default 0)
Default operation is 0. Inverted is 1. Always off is 2.

Tbrock47,
Thank you.

Unfortunately, when I change the #3 parameter, I get a message " Device Failed to Configure"

I replaced a failed earlier Jasco dimmer with the 14294, and went to set the parameters 7 & 8 for instant ramp like in the last. This gave me a “Failed at: Setting user configuration”.

From the above e-mail from Jasco, it sounds like the 14294 defaults to instant ramp, which is what I wanted anyway. I just added 6, 7, & 8 as monitor only.

I assume if you set 6 to 1, then maybe you can set 7 & 8 to whatever you want. For sure trying to set 8 to 1, without setting 6 to 1, was not working…

[quote=“wilme2, post:8, topic:197000”]I replaced a failed earlier Jasco dimmer with the 14294, and went to set the parameters 7 & 8 for instant ramp like in the last. This gave me a “Failed at: Setting user configuration”.

From the above e-mail from Jasco, it sounds like the 14294 defaults to instant ramp, which is what I wanted anyway. I just added 6, 7, & 8 as monitor only.

I assume if you set 6 to 1, then maybe you can set 7 & 8 to whatever you want. For sure trying to set 8 to 1, without setting 6 to 1, was not working…[/quote]

Correct, for parameter #6 a value of ‘0’ is default in which it will jump to the desired setting and not ramp up when receiving a level specific command.
Essentially, by default, if the switch is currently set at any level except 0, and you send it a new desired level other than 0 (IE 25->100 or 50->1), setting this parameter to a value of 1 will tell the switch to use the ramp rate settings in #7 and #8 rather than instantly jumping to the new set level.

As for #7 and #8, those work in conjunction to adjust the speed of the ramp from zwave commands. Ramp rates for manual control of the switch are actually set in parameters #9 and #10.
1. When Receiving a Z-Wave Dim Command
Parameter 7 (number of steps or levels)
Parameter 8 (timing of the steps)
Valid Values:

#7 and #8 should be independent of #6 since the switch still ramps to and from level 0. I’m not having that same problem.

[quote=“tbrock47, post:9, topic:197000”]Correct, for parameter #6 a value of ‘0’ is default in which it will jump to the desired setting and not ramp up when receiving a level specific command.
Essentially, by default, if the switch is currently set at any level except 0, and you send it a new desired level other than 0 (IE 25->100 or 50->1), setting this parameter to a value of 1 will tell the switch to use the ramp rate settings in #7 and #8 rather than instantly jumping to the new set level.

#7 and #8 should be independent of #6 since the switch still ramps to and from level 0. I’m not having that same problem.[/quote]

I don’t have a problem, just noting you can’t seem to set 7 & 8 if 6 is set to its default 0. You indicate 6 only applies when dimming from 0 to a specific higher number - I don’t see that in the e-mail above. I think 6 applies for any specific dimming command, even if not starting at 0…

[quote=“wilme2, post:10, topic:197000”][quote=“tbrock47, post:9, topic:197000”]Correct, for parameter #6 a value of ‘0’ is default in which it will jump to the desired setting and not ramp up when receiving a level specific command.

#7 and #8 should be independent of #6 since the switch still ramps to and from level 0. I’m not having that same problem.[/quote]

I don’t have a problem, just noting you can’t seem to set 7 & 8 if 6 is set to its default 0. You indicate 6 only applies when dimming from 0 to a specific higher number - I don’t see that in the e-mail above. I think 6 applies for any specific dimming command, even if not starting at 0…[/quote]

No, #6 applies when dimming FROM any value but “0”, TO any value but “0”.
Out of the box with #6 set to “0”, the dimmer still ramps gradually when going TO or FROM 0.
This is all from my own testing, not necessarily dictated from Jasco.

If #7 and #8 don’t work as expected for you without also setting #6 to a value of “1”, that may be a new change. I don’t recall having that issue on my dimmers when #6 was set to “0”.
Maybe you have a newer switch/firmware.

I can explain my situation in further detail which might help.

[ul][li]I have some lights that turn on at 100% at sunset.[/li]
[li]At 10PM, those lights dim to 20%.[/li]
[li]At sunrise they turn off[/li][/ul]

Prior to changing #6 from “0”, when the lights would dim to 20%, they would jump to that level immediately and not ramp down.
Once #6 was set to “1”, they rampped down correctly using the values specified in #7 and #8.

[quote=“tbrock47, post:11, topic:197000”]No, #6 applies when dimming FROM any value but “0”, TO any value but “0”.
Out of the box with #6 set to “0”, the dimmer still ramps gradually when going TO or FROM 0.
This is all from my own testing, not necessarily dictated from Jasco.[/quote]

Now that I have lived with this switch a few weeks, I agree some testing is better than the Jasco-provided information.

I have options 6,7,8 set to Monitor Only, and they show 0, 1, 3 respectively.

When dimming from 0% to 100% - the ramp is instant. When dimming from 100% to 0%, however, there is a ramp period of a few seconds. Tomorrow I am going to test some settings - I want instant ramp all the time…

I think all you would need to do for that is set 7,8,9,10 to their minimum values (1).

I think all you would need to do for that is set 7,8,9,10 to their minimum values (1).[/quote]

I picked up another of these, so need to get the options figured out…

The options are all screwed up compared to the documentation. At when sending via Vera UI7. Parameter 8 refuses to take a “1” despite the documentation showing that as a valid value - and it was valid for the older models. So far, I can’t seem to eliminate the roughly one-second ramp when turning off.
If I set option 6 to 1, option 7 to 1 and option 8 to 3, then the light turns on and off slowly. Anyone able to eliminate ramp both directions?

I think all you would need to do for that is set 7,8,9,10 to their minimum values (1).[/quote]

I picked up another of these, so need to get the options figured out…

The options are all screwed up compared to the documentation. At when sending via Vera UI7. Parameter 8 refuses to take a “1” despite the documentation showing that as a valid value - and it was valid for the older models. So far, I can’t seem to eliminate the roughly one-second ramp when turning off.
If I set option 6 to 1, option 7 to 1 and option 8 to 3, then the light turns on and off slowly. Anyone able to eliminate ramp both directions?[/quote]

I have since moved off my Vera controller to Home Assistant on a Raspberry Pi, so I can’t really test in the way I could before.
But reading back on the history of this thread, I don’t think I can change my recommendation.

Remember 7,8 apply when you send the command to the switch via the network.
9,10 apply when you physically walk over and press the up or down rocker.

Param 6 - (0) Honestly not sure about this anymore since its been awhile. I would try both 0 and 1 and see what results you get.
Param 7 - (1)
Param 8 - (1)
Param 9 - (1)
Param 10 - (1)

[quote=“tbrock47, post:15, topic:197000”]I have since moved off my Vera controller to Home Assistant on a Raspberry Pi, so I can’t really test in the way I could before.
But reading back on the history of this thread, I don’t think I can change my recommendation.

Param 6 - (0) Honestly not sure about this anymore since its been awhile. I would try both 0 and 1 and see what results you get.
Param 7 - (1)
Param 8 - (1)
Param 9 - (1)
Param 10 - (1)[/quote]

This doesn’t work - the switch refuses the configuration. I have tested every combination reasonable, and can not get rid of ramp down. My older ones did best with Parameter 7 at 99 and Parameter 8 at 1 - if you search here, that was the trick for the 10 millisecond ramp. Again, these new Z-Wave Plus refuse a 1 in parameter 8, despite the documentation, regardless of the setting of parameter 6 or 7…

[quote=“wilme2, post:16, topic:197000”][quote=“tbrock47, post:15, topic:197000”]I have since moved off my Vera controller to Home Assistant on a Raspberry Pi, so I can’t really test in the way I could before.

Param 7 - (1)
Param 8 - (1)
Param 9 - (1)
Param 10 - (1)[/quote]

This doesn’t work - the switch refuses the configuration. I have tested every combination reasonable, and can not get rid of ramp down. My older ones did best with Parameter 7 at 99 and Parameter 8 at 1 - if you search here, that was the trick for the 10 millisecond ramp. Again, these new Z-Wave Plus refuse a 1 in parameter 8, despite the documentation, regardless of the setting of parameter 6 or 7…[/quote]

That’s interesting. From reading Jasco’s documentation, setting #7 to 99 and #8 to 1 should create 99x 10ms steps. (.99 Seconds)
I would try sending them an email. Maybe you have defective hardware.

I might play with my parameters again later when i get some time and see what sort of results I get since I’m now off the Vera.
I’ll post my findings.

[quote=“tbrock47, post:17, topic:197000”]That’s interesting. From reading Jasco’s documentation, setting #7 to 99 and #8 to 1 should create 99x 10ms steps. (.99 Seconds)
I would try sending them an email. Maybe you have defective hardware.[/quote]

So, the old non-zwave plus GE/Jasco would have calculated as (100/99) * (1*10ms) = 10.1ms

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,5835.msg34693.html#msg34693

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,5835.msg34545.html#msg34545

[quote=“wilme2, post:19, topic:197000”][quote=“tbrock47, post:17, topic:197000”]That’s interesting. From reading Jasco’s documentation, setting #7 to 99 and #8 to 1 should create 99x 10ms steps. (.99 Seconds)
I would try sending them an email. Maybe you have defective hardware.[/quote]

So, the old non-zwave plus GE/Jasco would have calculated as (100/99) * (1*10ms) = 10.1ms

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,5835.msg34693.html#msg34693

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,5835.msg34545.html#msg34545[/quote]

Huh? lol
Like I said, I haven’t really played with it, and I have only ever had the 14294s. (zwave plus)

This is what Jasco states about the 12724 which appeared to also apply to my 14294s.

Dim Rate Adjustments Both the number of steps (or levels) that the dimmer will change and the timing of the steps can be modified to suit personal preferences. The timing of the steps can be adjusted in 10 millisecond intervals. As an example, the default setting for parameter 8 is ?3?. This means that the lighting level will change every 30 milliseconds when the Dim Command is received. A value of 255 would mean that the level would change every 2.55 seconds. Combined, the two parameters allow dim rate adjustments from 10 milliseconds to 4.2 minutes to go from maximum-to-minimum or minimum-to-maximum brightness levels.
  1. When Receiving a Z-Wave Dim Command

Parameter 7 (number of steps or levels)
Parameter 8 (timing of the steps)
Valid Values:

1. Manual Control Dimming (pressing the Dimmer?s button)

Parameter 9 (number of steps or levels)
Parameter 10 (timing of the steps)
Valid Values:
Parameter 9 (default = 1) Valid Values: 1-99
Parameter 10 (default = 3) Valid Values: 1-255