GE/JASCO Dimming problems

Contacted Jasco Products this morning. Waiting for a response. I’ll let you know.

Got a response from GE/Jasco. Here it is:

Hello

Thank you for contacting Jasco Products Company.

Unfortunately it?s the way the controller is communicating with the switches. The only thing that I can recommend to do is check the controller and see if there is way to change that commands that it is sending to the swithes.

If you need further assistance, you can contact us
by e-mail at support@jascoproducts.com

Looks like it would be on VERA’s end. Contacter MCV this morning. Will let you guys know!

I wonder if im the only one who have this issue.

I have few GE 45606 dimmer they all do the same, vera3 firmware up to date

when I send a On command from the the it go to 100% one shoot
when i send a Off command it Dim-out,
when I use the physical switch, Dim-on and Dim-off perfectly,
when I send all-on / all-off command , Dim-on and Dim-off perfectly,
when i use a secondary controler (tuxedo touch) , Dim-on and Dim-off perfectly,

I try the parameter 7,8,9,10 I can see the change but never on ON Command from the vera.

Can you tell me if you have the same issue, vera technical support don’t seam to believe me when i Say that this is something with the vera.

Interesting. You added the data point that it does work from a secondary controller.

When you say you send an On command from Vera, does that mean you click on the [tt]On[/tt] button in UI5?

Perhaps someone who is experiencing the issue, could try the following:

• Turn the dimmer off.
  • Go to the [tt]Settings[/tt] tab for the affected dimmer.
  • Take note of the [tt]ID[/tt] (not the Device#).
  • Close the widget.
  • Go to [tt]Apps[/tt] > [tt]Develop Apps[/tt] > [tt]Test Luup code (Lua)[/tt]
  • Paste, carefully, the code line below in the [tt]Code[/tt] box.
  • Replace the [tt]**[/tt] in the code line with the number (ID) noted earlier.
  • Click on the [tt]Go[/tt] button.
luup.call_action('urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:ZWaveNetwork1','SendData',{Node='**',Data='0x26 0x1 0x63'},1)

Looked at this with a dimmer with the 3.29 firmware.

It appears GE/Jasco have stripped using the ramp-up parameters from the firmware (as compared to 3.25), when setting a specific dim level through Z-Wave.

The only time the ramp-up parameters are used when controlled through Z-Wave is when the dimmer is told to go back to the previous level (like when you push the rocker on the dimmer itself).

You can create a Vera scene to get this behavior. Which may be useful if you’re triggering this through some kind of scene controller (that works through Vera), or perhaps a virtual switch, but it will not allow you to set the dimmer to a specific level and have it use the ramping as configured.

I just got one (my first one) with firmware version 6,3,40,3,29. It apparently ignores all ramping, both up and down, and instantly sets itself to whatever value I send it. It also doesn’t accept ‘2’ as a valid option for parameter 3, even though the manual claims that will turn off the indicator LED. Talked to Jasco support, and they said that in some cases, the manual was updated before the hardware.

Sadly, my old solution after I posted about a year ago was to swap out with leviton parts.

I was just reminded of this problem today when I re-installed the switch and remembered what was wrong with it. Looks like still no resolution available huh? Man, GE sucks :frowning:

Hate to resurect an old thread but I am having the same issue.
Click the bottons and dimmer ramps up and down properly.
Vera on ignores goes straight to 100%.
Vera off properly dims down properly.

Device Version: 6,3,40,3,29

I did try the code in the below post, as I didnt see anyone else try.

luup.call_action(‘urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:ZWaveNetwork1’,‘SendData’,{Node=‘**’,Data=‘0x26 0x1 0x63’},1)

I get message failed.

I still haven’t seen a resolution to this either. Waiting for a stable UI after 5 to see if the fixed it there.

IIRC and re-read my post, this appears to be related to the GE firmware 3.29 inside the dimmer: it ignores the ramp parameters when instructed via Z-Wave to go to level X. There may be no workaround/solution for this on the Vera side.

So I can confirm I now have some jasco branded version 33 and it does follow ramp up.
Seems to be an issue with that 29 firmware…

Magical! Thanks for reporting they apparently have updated the firmware. (Especially in light of their analysis of the issue.)

Well I just sent JASCO support an email.
Maybe I can get it exchanged.

side note, maybe related/unrelated.

MY jasco dimmer switches running 3.33 report as 45602W which google tells me lamp dimmer.
I wonder if vera handling it as that changes anything with rampup/down.

I am workign with the JASCO support currently.
So I am able to send the direct zwave command:

luup.call_action(‘urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:ZWaveNetwork1’,‘SendData’,{Node=‘6’,Data=‘0x26 0x1 0x50’},1)

to a new 3.33 dimmer and it ramps up to 80% just fine.
When I change the node ID to the 3.29 dimmer it just turns on directly to 80%.

I figured out the 0x50 is 80 which is the load of the dimmer. I havent been able to decode the rest.
I think the 0x26 is the command class for SWITCH_MULTILEVEL. I wasnt able to find any documentation on how to send differnt commands. For instance shut off the dimmer. Is there a listing of command_class_switch_multilevel so I can manipulate this?

What I am trying to do is take the vera out of the equation and prove to jasco its the switch. (at least hope to)

Got this switch 6,3,40,3,29

Z-Wave On goes straight to 100%
Z-Wave Off does not work
Z-Wave Slider works, but its instant change (ignores the parameter 8)

Manual control works as it should.

[quote=“joer., post:36, topic:174069”]I figured out the 0x50 is 80 which is the load of the dimmer. I havent been able to decode the rest.
I think the 0x26 is the command class for SWITCH_MULTILEVEL. I wasnt able to find any documentation on how to send differnt commands. For instance shut off the dimmer. Is there a listing of command_class_switch_multilevel so I can manipulate this?[/quote]

The 0x01 is the set command. Turning the switch off could be accomplished by sending 0x26 0x01 0x00, setting the level to 0.

[quote=“rigpapa, post:38, topic:174069”][quote=“joer., post:36, topic:174069”]I figured out the 0x50 is 80 which is the load of the dimmer. I havent been able to decode the rest.
I think the 0x26 is the command class for SWITCH_MULTILEVEL. I wasnt able to find any documentation on how to send differnt commands. For instance shut off the dimmer. Is there a listing of command_class_switch_multilevel so I can manipulate this?[/quote]

The 0x01 is the set command. Turning the switch off could be accomplished by sending 0x26 0x01 0x00, setting the level to 0.[/quote]

rigpapa: Is there a link anywhere so I can learn these commands? Also are these vera specific or would even a z wave remote control that associates to a dimmer switch send the exact same command?

Right. That’s how I arrived at my conclusion the other day. I think you already did the same by sending the command, and getting different behavior depending on the Jasco firmware. (Which was also consistently reported here by other users, comparing versions 3.29 and lower.) You could ask Jasco why that is the case and/or what standard Z-Wave command they suggest will work with 3.29 firmware.

The reason I brought up the low-level [tt]SendData[/tt] command, is because Jasco had said that things are different because of the way Vera is sending commands, without providing further detail. Vera does send some commands twice, so to exclude that, I went to a single command. This is a standard multi-level set and produces different results when only the Jasco firmware is different… (You can glean things from the internet about bits and pieces of Z-Wave.)