GE switch - strange problem

A GE zwave light switch that’s been working fine for years suddenly stopped working with my VeraLite but still works as a switch (manually). When it first broke, the switch reversed… down was on and up was off. I pulled the air gap switch to try to reset it, which fixed the reversal. But I couldn’t get it to work with the Vera at all.

I replaced it with a brand new identical switch. Exact same problem… works fine manually, but no luck adding it to the Vera.

Since it appeared that my problem wasn’t related to the switch itself, I moved the old switch to a new circuit to replace a standard light switch. Again, on the new circuit, with neutral attached, it works fine as a switch but doesn’t seem to communicate with the Vera at all.

Any advice on what could be causing these two switches to fail?

I had the same problem. Vera started dropping my Vera Switches about 1 every two weeks. Not sure why. Been working for years. I would exclude, then reinclude and no go. So I ordered 10 of the new GE Z-wave+ to replace them expecting the problem would continue. While my order was being shipped I decided to try this:
1.) Exclude GE wall switch from Vera.
2.) Turn OFF the circuit breaker / wait 10 seconds / turn ON the circuit breaker.
3.) Re-include GE wall switch back into Vera.
Problem was fixed. I did this for all the other switches that had failed and they all started working again.
Tom

I have had one GE switch fail this way. Z-wave portion just died and couldn’t be revived. But I replaced it without issue…

I had the opposite experience. A switch in my garage (subject to some higher/lower than typical temperatures) still talks to Vera via z-wave, but the contactor does not work. Even manually. I replaced it with a dimmer. The old switch is on a shelf - thinking some day (:rofl: so many projects, so little time) I’ll open it up to see if it is something simple (:joy: like things are simple any more) I can brush off and get it working again.