Hardware: What are you using to run openHAB?

New Raspberry Pi arrived today, and I managed to scavenge up a micro SD card, installed January’s Wheezy image and then installed the three core systems I use on the current Pi to run my HA stuff - OpenHAB 1.6.2, Mosquitto and MySQL (5.5.x). I’ve copied across the same configs from the current RPi(B) box and booted the new one.

Feels much faster boot time to prompt.
Boot of OpenHAB to first “I’m alive message” on new Pi is 30 seconds, on the old Pi ~110-130 seconds, so definitely faster to fire up my environment.

No scientific analysis here, but first impressions are that the new Pi is much more capable for my particular scenario and will give me enough headroom to expand/add bindings without the cost of a CubieTruck or ODroid U3 board.

Glad to see someone take a dive with the RPi2. I was curious if it would make an improvement enough to void all the other issues people have complained about. Now if only we could find a REALLY nice Wave child board, add a battery pack, it could be just like an OpenHAB Vera Lite box! :slight_smile:

Just wanted to add some input for some folks bringing up some other platforms mentioned and give you my feedback:

FreeNAS - I was running this originally. I started testing OH on my Mac, but knew I needed an actual platform that was always on and available to update regularly. So my first attempt was my FreeNAS system. It was running my Plex, SB, Sab, etc without any issues. I threw in a new jail for OH, learned from FreeBSD command line along the way, and got OH running. It required essentially just getting Java to run properly, then the rest was a breeze. Being a NAS system, it’s also pretty easy to make the config files available to yourself for quick edits via the Designer. Depending on your hardware, you mileage will vary of course. I’d imagine if it’s anything current, you’ll be fine. Even some older stuff should process and run fine with at least 4GB RAM and a modern proc.

Synology - So this is a dichotomy. From what I’ve heard, the actual Syno boxes don’t have horsepower. Many people try Plex, but move to another platform because its sub-par. That said, if you’re not doing anything too crazy, I can’t imagine that OH wouldn’t be able to run fairly easily. If you aren’t bootstrapped, you may have some problems getting things working appropriately, or relying on some folks to re-package the latest builds for you. I had to manually put together the latest build into a package based off the model of another package.

XPEnology - If you haven’t heard of it, check it out. It’s basically a boot platform to run Synology DSM software on your own hardware. For those who’ve complained of Plex performance on a regular DSM box, this alleviates the problem. I turned my FreeNAS box into an XPEnology box. It works like a dream!! The only catch is that the boot loaders generally are not ready as soon as the latest DSM software releases. So if you need to be bleeding edge with DSM software, you will be a little disappointed. With the right patience though, it’s worth the endeavor. I’m running everything I had on my FreeNAS, but with the advantage of a nice beautiful GUI for those who don’t want to be dropping to a Terminal session regularly to control their system efficiently or with any advanced configurations.

Is there more feedback from anyone using an RPi2 yet? I’m on the fence between that and the Odroid C1…

or I could just buy both since they are cheap as chips

… not that I’m going to allow myself to get sucked into this just yet anyway :slight_smile:

[quote=“strangely, post:23, topic:185627”]Is there more feedback from anyone using an RPi2 yet? I’m on the fence between that and the Odroid C1…

or I could just buy both since they are cheap as chips

… not that I’m going to allow myself to get sucked into this just yet anyway :)[/quote]

Not even looking at anything at the moment; however, just for you @strangley for a testiment see https://twitter.com/kaikreuzer/status/564086697546481664/photo/1

Thanks @Brientim, exciting times for these little machines ahead.

Hello ,

Very interesting project.

What you think about running this app on an hardware like android tablet which is running some kind of Linux OS ?

Probably a question best asked over on the openHAB Forum itself. There are more people there, with experiences running across a variety of different Linux’s and Hardware variations.

Hi all

This post made me curious to understand how openhab works and i decided to purchase raspberry Pi 2.
just installed it (demo mode) but without any hazzle and good performance so far.

avg cpu loading is 2%.

openhab starts quickly, so far so good. i will share my further experiences also here in this post

Welcome to the ToyBox @Otje!

Let us know how you get on with your rPi 2, the more feedback the merrier!

Given it’s capabilities, and price-point (etc), it looks to become the defacto option for openHAB users. There are reports about lockups of Java on the rPi2, so just keep an eye on the openHAB forums for reported issues.

[quote=“AgileHumor, post:20, topic:185627”]I have one i7 Windows PC that handles:

• Media Center / Media Browser HTPC (fed to 8 TV’s via HDMI splitter that turn on with motion)
  • VoxCommando TTS (from Vera) and Speech Recognition
  • iSpy controlling 10 x 720p IR Camera (and one Foscam camara as an audio/video baby monitor)
  • Misc Tools:
    ** NZBGet
    ** Utorrent
    ** CouchPotato
    ** Sonarr
    ** DynDNS updater
  • Now, Adding OpenHab to relieve my Vera which flakes out about once a month (even with daily reboots) providing uncertainty in my 99% automated home :([/quote]

nearly the same set up as I have though Kodi instead of MediaBrowser, been trying to use it but the Aeon MQ5 skin just does all I need. Finally kicked sickbeard to the curb and went with Sonarr, quite nice

I have an ODROID-C1 that I’ve begun setting up with OpenHAB just have to get some more time to finish it

on Raspberry Pi2: i can not get the OpenHab designer to work on the raspberry.
after further googling the internet i understand that this is not possible, hence i need to run the designer on a remote terminal, like a PC.

it is not a big problem but you have to be aware that you have to copy the modified files to the raspberry everytime. for some this may be a showstopper though…

other than that: all is runnig fine !

I think most folks using the micro platforms are using them as Runtime only. In this mode, they’re mounting the remote FS and editing on their convention machines.

In my case, I edit (without tools) the files on my Mac, test out the basics there (another openHAB install), and then SSH over the relevant changes when they’re ready.

Definitely agree that the workflow could be better. Apparently OH2 is heading toward a HTML admin tool, which will save folks the headache of a fat/desktop client.

thanks for the info!

I am intrested to understand if you use the PI with the openhab running on it’s SD CARD or did you mount an external drive or maybe to a network NAS?

i want to run graphics also and i did read somewhere that if you work with graphics there will be to many read actions on the SDCARD which may not be good at all.
hence, i would consider to mount a NAS (like i do with datamine and the vera)

is this necessary for openhab?

I’ve installed Samba server on my Pi 2, so I can mount the Pi openHAB folder on my MacBook as a share, run openHAB Designer on there and point it to the openHAB config folder on the Pi. Saves the hassle of saving files locally then copying them across. :slight_smile:

Makes perfect sense, i should have thought about that as wel… :-[

[quote=“Otje, post:33, topic:185627”]thanks for the info!

I am intrested to understand if you use the PI with the openhab running on it’s SD CARD or did you mount an external drive or maybe to a network NAS?[/quote]

I’m running on Odroid C1, but the principals are the same. For stability, I keep everything I need on the device itself. It has very few external dependencies.

Logging, persistence etc are all on the local Flash. If the flash wears out, as it will eventually, I simple drop in another and do a restore and I’m set to go.

I put in changes to the MiOS Binding recently to reduce the amount/size/rate of logs that I generate which will also help.

I switched the C1 over to use a higher read/write spec MicroSD (from PNY), but that’s not really needed. The biggest lump in IO comes from using RRD for the persistence layer. It writes everything out (at least) every minute and creates a largish IO spike as everything is in distinct files. At some point I may switchover to MySQL (etc) since they’re more likely to be tuned in IO handling.

Hi

just to make sure i understand correctly… your C1 operating system is on the microsd and your openhab runs from the flash? Ie your openhab folder is located on the flashdrive, correct?

Flash == MicroSD

Everything runs on the one, removable, MicroSD card. If I end up needing more perf, the Odroid units have the option of running an even faster flash module “at the same time” (although only one of them gets the faster bus access)

Ok thanks for confirming, so we have a similar setup.

That is the route I went; namely, an eMMC card. It seems significantly faster than a MicroSD card.

• JIm