Hardwired fire alarm system with Vera

I’ve just had a loft conversion and so need to install a mains powered interlinked fire alarm system to comply with building regs. I’d like to integrate this with my Vera system and wondered if anyone has advice on a similar setup?

I’m looking at the Aico products which allow you to include this relay in the system - Ei128RBU Hard Wired Relay Module With Battery Back Up | Aico

I would need to explain to my electrician how to connect this to the z-wave network and provide him with the appropriate module to do so but I’m a bit confused as to what would do the job. Would it be some kind of sensor or an additional z-wave relay? Ideally I’d like communication to work both ways so I can trigger the alarms through device actions and have devices respond when the alarm is triggered.

Thanks for any guidance you can share!

I have my wired smoke alarm connect via a similar relay unit.

you can either connect it to a switch insert and use the local switch connections https://en.robbshop.nl/fibaro-insert-switch-1-2-5-kw-zwave

or a door sensor that has option for external contacts Aeotec Zwave ZWA008 3 in one Door Sensor with Dry Contacts - Connected Things - SmartThings Community

the switch possibly offers two way communication if it has dry contact(volt free)

Thanks for the info. The alarm relay says -

• Supplied with volt free contacts (normally open and normally closed) - rated up to 240V AC / 5 amps
  • Can be configured to give a 230V or 24V output
  • Sends a signal to connected external devices when an alarm is activated
  • Fitted with a 4 way connector block
  • Provides continuous or pulse output

I already have a Qubino 1D plus relay available, would this be any use instead of the switch? Z-Wave Qubino Flush 1D Relay Plus — Vesternet

I use Vesternet for my equipment so if this is no good I’d really appreciate it if you’re able to point to a module there which should work as they don’t stock the Fibaro one you linked to. Thanks,

Dan

yes the qubino will work.
run permanent live to common of fire alarm relay, and the link N/O to t1 switch. then when alarm sound the qubino will turn on and when alarm is silenced the qubino will turn off. Use continuous output on relay

Perfect, thanks so much. Would this just work one way or could I use the Qubino to trigger the alarm too?

to trigger alarm you will need to know how the relay trigger connection wire works. does it pulse or is it a low voltage pulse etc. If you ask the alarm manufacture what the trigger is, you may then be able to reproduce it via the dry contact.

edit/

they do a input module that will work via dry contacts. Ei129 Hard Wired Switched Input Module | Aico
They are being sold on ebay for £10 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AICO-Ei129-Alarm-Trigger-Module-NEW/223822280245?hash=item341cd8f635:g:vHIAAOSwxaNeCNUT

the only issue i foresee is that wiring via dry contact on same insert, may create a looping cycle. if that does occur you will need to connect via a seperate qubino insert or a 2 channel dry contact relay (if they exsist), or connect alarm relay via door sensor and alarm input via qubino.

Just to let you know i am a uk electrician.

Thanks, hopefully my electrician is as knowledgable and will be able to get his head around this as it’s his first smart home installation so we’re learning as we go! On the off chance you may be local to me whereabouts are you based?

South coast near brighton

Ah, a bit too far from the Midlands then! If you may be willing to offer phone consultation directly with my electrician during the install then please PM me your details, and obviously I would be happy to pay for your time. Hopefully it’ll all make sense to him though!

Just in case, you can also use a normal two input relays (Fibaro, qubino or your choice) and add two transformers to go from 230 to 0v. it may come cheaper than two dry contact relays.

I’m intrigued

Is there a trick with transformers? or is that a typo, and you ment 230v relays?

If it’s a trick could you elaborate?

My bad, I meant relays. I have a couple of them to get input from my car gate, my dusk sensor, etc.

Hi guys,

I’m getting all the pieces together for this install and just would just like to clarify I’m not missing anything. Thanks for your patience while I get my head around it!

To receive a signal from the alarm system I will be getting the Aico Ei128RBU relay and attaching this to a Qubino 1D using the N/O on the relay to the I1 on the Qubino. I’ll also need a link wire between the live and common on the alarm relay. This will be using continuous mode on the relay.

To send a signal to trigger the alarm system I will use the Aico Ei129 trigger module and attach this to another Qubino 1D. The instructions say to " Connect the two wires from the external N/O contacts to the “Contacts In” terminals.". Which connectors on the Qubino would this mean?

Just to make it idiot proof can you please confirm how the Qubino is wired up for power in both cases? I assume the L and N from the ceiling go into the Qubino first, but then do they somehow pass through to the alarm relay and alarm trigger? Or do I need to use connector blocks to split the L and N to send separately? There’s a Q⬇ and Q⬆ on the Qubino so are these used? Sorry if it’s basic stuff, I’m guessing my electrician may know but I like to fully understand it myself too!

the Ei128 with qubino
L an N wired to L and N of qubino. Then Link L to common of Ei128 and link N/O of Ei128 to T1 of Qubino.

The Ei129
L and N to Qubino then link Qin and Qout to the contact in of Ei129

both the 128 and 129 should be connected to a L and N and the IC of the wired alarm .

edit you could also attach break glass/panic button and a siren/strobe to this system if you wished. No other devices would be needed except a break glass or a siren/strobe

Thank you so much for the infos, it helped me a lot !

Appvalley TutuApp