Harmony Hub Extender

[quote=“cybrmage, post:39, topic:189153”]Veralite = Z-Wave
Vera3 = Z-Wave
Vera Edge = Z-Wave Plus
Harmony Hub Extender = Z-Wave plus

So, it is possible that the Harmony Hub Extender uses Z-Wave plus for status updates, that the Vera 3/lite would not be able to process…[/quote]

Yeah that would make alot of sense. Unsure why they didnt just use IP to communicate between Harmony and Vera. Much more stable and long range.

I thought that a secondary controller talked directly to the zwave devices, not through any controller. Like a wall switch that you associate with a outlet.

This would explain why the updates does not arrive to Vera until the next poll. Of course, better devices reports their value back to the main controller upon local change - those should also do this with a secondary controller.

[quote=“vespaman, post:42, topic:189153”]I thought that a secondary controller talked directly to the zwave devices, not through any controller. Like a wall switch that you associate with a outlet.

This would explain why the updates does not arrive to Vera until the next poll. Of course, better devices reports their value back to the main controller upon local change - those should also do this with a secondary controller.[/quote]

Probley why it doesn’t work right, too many hands in the cookie jar. I’ll stick with my better working free solution it looks like.

Quick question.

I see some of you use both Harmony Hub and Vera. Why do you use both? They both control mostly every home automation for the basic setup.

[quote=“Squill”]Quick question.

I see some of you use both Harmony Hub and Vera. Why do you use both? They both control mostly every home automation for the basic setup.[/quote]
Harmony Hub didn’t control ZWave devices natively until the Harmony Hub Extender was released. If you use the Hue Bridge emulator, you can have Harmony Hub control the devices and scenes through the Vera though.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

[quote=“Laughing Man, post:45, topic:189153”][quote=“Squill”]Quick question.

I see some of you use both Harmony Hub and Vera. Why do you use both? They both control mostly every home automation for the basic setup.[/quote]
Harmony Hub didn’t control ZWave devices natively until the Harmony Hub Extender was released. If you use the Hue Bridge emulator, you can have Harmony Hub control the devices and scenes through the Vera though.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk[/quote]

Also, the Harmony Hub does not provide anywhere near the functionality that Vera can provide. If you just want a simple way to turn lights on and off, then the Harmony Hub is probably all you need. But if you want to have “automation” which includes logic, you will need Vera.

For me personally, I was/am just looking for the simplest way to perform tasks in my Vera but by using my Harmony remote. So far the Hue Bridge emulator is working okay, but I don’t love it. At the same time, I feel like buying the Hub Extender is overkill which I think is the whole point of your question.

So glad I stumbled upon this thread! I’ve been using a Monster AVL300 (Harmony 890) for several years and after moving from Nexia to Vera I haven’t been able to get it to control my devices. I was considering the Kira IR solution to keep my existing remote, but it sounds like it would be much easier to configure and maintain the Harmony Hub with the Hue Bridge emulator.

I’m trying out the Extender… about to return it… as well as both the Elite and Companion/Home remotes.

Can I ask what do you mean by activating a device or scene by AP? ← Access Point/Mobile App?

I got mine up and running, but am a bit thrown, as to how you go about running a scene from the remote. I assume that the Extender cannot pull the scenes from Vera(Edge), which I guess I can understand? Not really… but I’m holding back… :slight_smile:

But it’s also looking like you cannot create a scene with the Harmony’s?

Also, I’ve been able to identify 3 light switches out of 39 devices(looks like 24 is max). 90% of the other devices just show as “plug”? The rest is 1 Thermostat… 1 Multi-Sensor… 3 out of 5 locks… and 1 multi-plug… I maybe only have two ZW receptacles???

Since there is little documentation and more promotion on the web, I grabbed it on the hope that I only needed one Extender for my home(2x Hubs). Well, it looks like you need an Extender for every Hub? Which is very much BS, as it’s now talking IP and/or TCP… And in MY opinion should be able to talk to the other Hub…

I also wish there was a way to turn off firmware checking/updating, and Harmony’s cloud services in their App… Not only does HA suck with phones/tablets(great for remote)… But by logging into their servers every time you launch the app, makes it that much worse… Plus sometimes, you’re just happy where you’re at, and an update can ruin that… Not to mention, when(not if) their servers get hacked, I’d like a “disconnect” from them…

Xbox One key mapping sucks…

Lastly… as a DirecTV customer… and with previous Harmony remotes… The Guide button should be where the Exit button is… The Exit button should be where the Menu button is… and the Menu button should be where the Guide button is… at least on the Elite… otherwise, a pretty nice remote…

I ranted a bit didn’t I? LOL

Let me explain… I’ve had a Harmony One for my living room since it’s first release… Has always worked awesome, until my 14 month old managed to get a hold of it… It still works great, just not as awesome… In my bedroom, we use a DirecTV remote, in which does it’s job… RF to the DTV RX, and IR to the TV…

Both being outdated to all hell, I figured I’d give the new stuff a shot… Plus I can go full RF… and PLUS perhaps some HA controls…

blllllaaaaahhhhh!!!

Any suggestions, before I give this junk the boot? I’m not all that interested in constantly running a machine with Java, and may just resort to hunting down a couple of Harmony 900’s… To get the RF…

I’m trying out the Extender… about to return it… as well as both the Elite and Companion/Home remotes.

Can I ask what do you mean by activating a device or scene by AP? ← Access Point/Mobile App?

I got mine up and running, but am a bit thrown, as to how you go about running a scene from the remote. I assume that the Extender cannot pull the scenes from Vera(Edge), which I guess I can understand? Not really… but I’m holding back… :slight_smile:

Also, I’ve been able to identify 3 light switches out of 39 devices(looks like 24 is max). 90% of the other devices just show as “plug”? The rest is 1 Thermostat… 1 Multi-Sensor… 3 out of 5 locks… and 1 multi-plug… I maybe only have two ZW receptacles???

Since there is little documentation and more promotion on the web, I grabbed it on the hope that I only needed one Extender for my home(2x Hubs). Well, it looks like you need an Extender for every Hub? Which is very much BS, as it’s now talking IP and/or TCP… And in MY opinion should be able to talk to the other Hub…

I also wish there was a way to turn off firmware checking/updating, and Harmony’s cloud services in their App… Not only does HA suck with phones/tablets(great for remote)… But by logging into their servers every time you launch the app, makes it that much worse… Plus sometimes, you’re just happy where you’re at, and an update can ruin that… Not to mention, when(not if) their servers get hacked, I’d like a “disconnect” from them…

Lastly… as a DirecTV customer… and with previous Harmony remotes… The Guide button should be where the Exit button is… The Exit button should be where the Menu button is… and the Menu button should be where the Guide button is… at least on the Elite… otherwise, a pretty nice remote…

Let me explain… I’ve had a Harmony One for my living room since it’s first release… Has always worked awesome, until my 14 month old managed to get a hold of it… It still works great, just not as awesome… In my bedroom, we use a DirecTV remote, in which does it’s job… RF to the DTV RX, and IR to the TV…

Both being outdated to all hell, I figured I’d give the new stuff a shot… Plus I can go full RF… and PLUS perhaps some HA controls…

blllllaaaaahhhhh!!!

Any suggestions, before I give this junk the boot? I’m not all that interested in constantly running a machine with Java, and may just resort to hunting down a couple of Harmony 900’s… To get the RF…[/quote]

I think you haven’t spend enough time with it, to understand how to use it.

“Ap” he ment APP or phone app.

I don’t have the Extender but with the Echo Bridge you can run scenes from your harmony.

Having the Harmony HUB I can create scenes so I find it hard to believe you cant with the extender.

As far as buttons on Direct tv. All your buttons are customizable so if you want them swapped or in a different place Harmony allows you to change that.

blllllaaaaahhhhh!!!

Any suggestions, before I give this junk the boot? I’m not all that interested in constantly running a machine with Java, and may just resort to hunting down a couple of Harmony 900’s… To get the RF…[/quote]

I think you haven’t spend enough time with it, to understand how to use it.

“Ap” he ment APP or phone app.

I don’t have the Extender but with the Echo Bridge you can run scenes from your harmony.

Having the Harmony HUB I can create scenes so I find it hard to believe you cant with the extender.

As far as buttons on Direct tv. All your buttons are customizable so if you want them swapped or in a different place Harmony allows you to change that.[/quote]

Ahh…

I agree, I haven’t spent much time with it… Of course things aren’t very obvious with the Extender… For instance, including the Extender into an existing HA setup.
Naturally, the included docs, as with any ZWave instructions, are very vague and ask that you resort to the other devices’ docs…
But it took some web research to realize how to include it into an existing setup… Normally, when including a ZW device, it doesn’t matter as long as both are in include mode…
Going through LT’s inclusion mode(while it’s actually IN inclusion mode), you HAVE to hit the “Show me How” button… Only then, can you add it to a primary controller…<— Which is very backwards thinking(to me) as most devices that are already joined to a network, cannot initiate inclusion mode? I’ll write Logitech on this one…

The HA side of LT is very limited… In fact, you HAVE to use their mobile app to do anything in regards to HA/Extender… You cannot use the Desktop version.

I understand that you can create custom buttons that can run scripts or possibly REST/HTTP commands on previous/touchscreen models… But so far, I cannot find this to be the case with the Home(non-touchscreen) model… Which is my biggest complaint…
I have the Elite in my living room, which is where my Vera Edge(primary controller) is located for all of my ZW devices… So I want the Extender in my bedroom, for better RF comms on that side of my house. I have the Home(non touchscreen) remote in my bedroom… It’d make very little sense to have both ZW “controllers” sitting next to each other.

Now here’s where I’m having problems… In the bedroom, I just need to adjust the bedroom lights…Done…
But I also need a single somewhat complex “sleep” scene to run… Vera does this without a sneeze… I cannot find a way to do this with the Extender…

My biggest complaint, is that I’m at about $600 in for just two remotes and a ZW bridge… Mind you, $99 for a ZW “controller” that is just barely cheaper than a Vera, and so far, incapable of creating Scenes… And being that it’s IP/TCP, why is it that I cannot send commands to the LivingRoom Hub via the Elite, to the Bedroom Hub that has the Extender connected? They seriously want me to buy yet another $99 ZW Extender so that I can use the Elite for HA tasks as well?

So far, and granted that I haven’t given it enough time… but the Extender and newer “Hub” remotes are a waste of money… IMO
I could have done it far cheaper with ITach or the likes…<— say the old-school Harmony 900
Although I hate the idea, but running a machine with JRE is looking better…

BTW… Remapping buttons without the ability to re-label them is a no-go for me… Having to teach wife and/or house/baby-sitters that Exit is really the Guide button, just isn’t going to work…
Guide is used much more than Exit… and on the Elite, it’s just an awkward layout.

Most of your complaints are valid and is one of the reasons I don’t own one.

99.00 is the same price as a VERA Edge right now.

It is not a AUTOMATION hub it just a remote z-wave hub without any smarts.

I think is made more for the people with simple systems that want the living room lights to dim when they put the tv to movie mode and not much more.

Have you tried the FREE Echo Bridge that runs on a PC or Pi that will work the same or better and with multiple Harmony’s? Scrape the 99.00 per room extender and buy a pi instead. One and done.

I have been using the Home Hub Extender with my VeraEdge for several weeks. Here is the problem I discovered, hopefully someone will have an answer since Logitech doesn’t. When I turn a light switch on/off from the Vera, the Vera shows the current status, while the Harmony does not know if the device is on or off. If you turn a light switch on locally from the switch, Vera knows the status and the Harmony does not. If this is how it works, it is useless and definitely should not be purchased. I am waiting for a response from a Harmony supervisor to confirm. I am curious to know if others have had this problem. If any Vera users out there know an answer, i would welcome your response.

Interesting. That is a dealbreaker if that’s the case. I’m curious to know the answer as well.

I’m using the Echo Bridge by crush and it’s great, but the situation is the same; status is not recorded. One other question that hasn’t been answered yet is if an official Hue bridge will record/report status correctly.

Spoke with Harmony support. They escalated the issue to their level 2 support staff. I have not heard a thing from them.

Still no word from Harmony. They are really dragging their feet on the status issue. Has anyone else learned anything about the status issue?

There’s no sign of the Harmony Hub Extender in Australia yet. I assume it only operates 908.4 MHz/916 MHz z-wave frequencies used by the US, Canada, Mexico etc. See Z-Wave Protocol Implementation Conformance Statement. Does anyone know if models will be released for other regions?

I received an answer from Logitech level 3 support, that doesn’t make sense: "The State of the device will be automatically refreshed for only Zigbee Notification Activated devices. The Power State of the Leviton Plugs is not automatically refreshed because it’s ZWave device. To overcome this issue, the Cx needs to manually switch to some other screen in the App and then come back to Leviton Plug screen for getting the updated status of the Plugs. ".

Why they refer to plugs when the question was asked about dimmers is another question???

What they are saying, I believe, is the status of the device does not change on the Home Hub Extender, if you turn the dimmer on manually or via Vera. The HHE only knows the status, if it activates the device. So, how can the HHE be compatable with Leviton or VERA if it cannot simply indicate status? Any thoughts would be welcome.

Quick question about this Hub Extender. I’m setting up a system that runs a Vera programmed with various scenes for a home theater. I’d like to be able to use the Harmony Ultimate remote to run a few of these scenes from the touch screen. Is that what it is intended to do? Pretty simple set-up, run scene 1 or 2 or 3 etc. Don’t care if there are updates to the status of individual lights. Just run this scene or that one.

Thanks!

[quote=“Batiatus, post:58, topic:189153”]Quick question about this Hub Extender. I’m setting up a system that runs a Vera programmed with various scenes for a home theater. I’d like to be able to use the Harmony Ultimate remote to run a few of these scenes from the touch screen. Is that what it is intended to do? Pretty simple set-up, run scene 1 or 2 or 3 etc. Don’t care if there are updates to the status of individual lights. Just run this scene or that one.

Thanks![/quote]

Yes this or the “hue bridge” found here http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,31920.1140.html will do what you want.

Appreciate the response. The hue bridge looks like a ton of work for something a simple device will take care of.

Follow-up question, between the Vera and the Harmony, can a button/scene be set-up to turn all required equipment to an on state and subsequently a button/scene turn all equipment off?

Example, Vera Scene “Home Theater On” which turns all lights on to predetermined levels at once, also power up specific devices in specific configurations? 1 button to do it all and if so is this done through a button command to execute the power on/input commands as well as trigger the scene, or done through a scene the tells the hub to execute the various power/input commands?