HELP!!! I can't figure out why this doesn't work

OK -

So I’m not new to programming LUUP, but I’m not an expert either. But this one has me pulling my hair out!

This following code works properly:

if (lowtemp > coldlow) then
return true
else
luup.variable_set(“urn:upnp-org:serviceId:VContainer1”,“Variable1”,“HeatOn”,dID3)
local modestat = “HeatOn”
luup.call_action(“urn:upnp-org:serviceId:HVAC_UserOperatingMode1”,“SetModeTarget”,{NewModeTarget=modestat},dID5)
return true
end

But this code does not:

return true
else
luup.variable_set(“urn:upnp-org:serviceId:VContainer1”,“Variable1”,“HeatOn”,dID3)
local modestat = “HeatOn”
end
luup.call_action(“urn:upnp-org:serviceId:HVAC_UserOperatingMode1”,“SetModeTarget”,{NewModeTarget=modestat},dID5)
return true

Both routines should give the exact same results, but they don’t. In the first example, the variable container and the thermostat both change values - as they are supposed to. But in the second example, only the variable container changes values; the thermostat does not. It’s as if the routine quits when it finishes the if-then-else condition, but it shouldn’t. It should go to the next statement.

Any ideas? What am I missing?

Melsman

Your modestat variable is not in scope for the luup call, since it is only defined in the else block.

Thanks, AKBooer!

Melsman

… and that did it!

[i]local modestat

return true
else
modestat = “HeatOn”
end
return true
[/i]

I would have never figured that out…

Melsman